Sony Android TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

kosongice

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Am thinking of getting one of the 55" model, but online reviews haven't been favourable and everyone else is telling me Samsung. Any advice?

jpg1412

Reaction score
Not sure which 55' inch model u referring to, 55w800c or 55x8500c? w800c is 1080p, x8500c is 4k.

Also any idea which model for samsung you're looking at?

As for the android tv that sony has, if you have used android phones before then there are similarities there.

The main difference is not all apps are available on android tv.
Of course there is the chance that more will be available as time goes.
To install apps that are not available on google play, you will have to sideload it.

Both w800c and x8500c are using va panels, so contrast is good but viewing angles are not the best.

kosongice

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not sure which 55' inch model u referring to, 55w800c or 55x8500c? w800c is 1080p, x8500c is 4k.

Also any idea which model for samsung you're looking at?

As for the android tv that sony has, if you have used android phones before then there are similarities there.

The main difference is not all apps are available on android tv.
Of course there is the chance that more will be available as time goes.
To install apps that are not available on google play, you will have to sideload it.

Both w800c and x8500c are using va panels, so contrast is good but viewing angles are not the best.
X8500C. I have a slight bias for Japanese brands. Am currently using a box TV from more than a decade ago. Every shop I visited actually recommended me a Samsung or LG model instead of the Sony.

Sent from my toaster oven using GAGT

jpg1412

Reaction score
Maybe you can take a look at rtings.com for more detailed reviews on tv, should make it easier to decide.

I feel when deciding which tv to buy should focus on the display panel, not so much on the os used, because you can just plug a pc or tv box to the tv if you don't like the os but the display is fixed.

Basically got 2 types of panel to choose from now,

VA panel (good contrast giving better blacks, limited viewing angle)
IPS panel (lower contrast making blacks look grey, wide viewing angle)

LG uses IPS panel,
Sony uses VA panel except x8300c which uses IPS panel,
Samsung uses VA panel

I went with VA panel after looking at both IPS tv and VA tv at the showroom, really like the deeper blacks and i don't view the tv from an angle so no problem with the viewing angles.

Chose Sony w800c in the end because i feel Samsung tv have a higher rate of failure plus have to play panel lottery (i.e. not all Samsung tv comes with Samsung made panel) (Sony w800c's panel made by AUO)

Of course this is not to say that Sony tv won't spoil, just that i rather take my chances with Sony.

Last edited:

ladiesman217

Master Member
Reaction score
Am thinking of getting one of the 55" model, but online reviews haven't been favourable and everyone else is telling me Samsung. Any advice?

Since everyone is telling you Samsung and you yourself know that reviews are not favourable and u still :s22::s22::s22:?

Koreans are taking over. They've been leading the market for years. Go to any store, confirm they recommend u LG or Samsung.

LG one and if I am not wrong, Samsungs...all their remotes can use like Nintendo wii wiimote. Wave here wave there machiam like mouse. Sibei song to use. Sony one using trackpad on their remote.

kosongice

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe you can take a look at rtings.com for more detailed reviews on tv, should make it easier to decide.

I feel when deciding which tv to buy should focus on the display panel, not so much on the os used, because you can just plug a pc or tv box to the tv if you don't like the os but the display is fixed.

Basically got 2 types of panel to choose from now,

VA panel (good contrast giving better blacks, limited viewing angle)
IPS panel (lower contrast making blacks look grey, wide viewing angle)

LG uses IPS panel,
Sony uses VA panel except x8300c which uses IPS panel,
Samsung uses VA panel

I went with VA panel after looking at both IPS tv and VA tv at the showroom, really like the deeper blacks and i don't view the tv from an angle so no problem with the viewing angles.

Chose Sony w800c in the end because i feel Samsung tv have a higher rate of failure plus have to play panel lottery (i.e. not all Samsung tv comes with Samsung made panel) (Sony w800c's panel made by AUO)

Of course this is not to say that Sony tv won't spoil, just that i rather take my chances with Sony.
Hey thanks for the detailed reply! You see I'm not an expert in all these, been using a box TV for years, didn't even change to a flat screen.

I went to a few shops, and almost every salesperson was pushing Samsung to me. At first my father favored LG, but when compared side by side with a model of similar specs, it's obvious Samsung has better and more vivid colors. Another contributing factor to getting a Samsung is that they are now running a promotion where they give a free 32" TV for the model my dad wants.

The Sony model I looked at has a lovely display too, but costs a few hundred more than the Samsung one. I prefer Sony because I have a bias for Japanese brands, and have a good history of experience with their products. However, my family isn't too keen because apart from free delivery and installation, there isn't anything extra provided.

I haven't read up much on the Samsung model my dad wants, but online reviews so far for the Sony I'm looking at isn't good, but that's mainly due to the OS. Display specs wise it is solid, and the 55" I'm looking at even comes with 3-D.

xJoker

Reaction score
Sony 4k tv has better upscaling and more natural colors then lg and samsung.

jpg1412

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the detailed reply! You see I'm not an expert in all these, been using a box TV for years, didn't even change to a flat screen.

I went to a few shops, and almost every salesperson was pushing Samsung to me. At first my father favored LG, but when compared side by side with a model of similar specs, it's obvious Samsung has better and more vivid colors. Another contributing factor to getting a Samsung is that they are now running a promotion where they give a free 32" TV for the model my dad wants.

The Sony model I looked at has a lovely display too, but costs a few hundred more than the Samsung one. I prefer Sony because I have a bias for Japanese brands, and have a good history of experience with their products. However, my family isn't too keen because apart from free delivery and installation, there isn't anything extra provided.

I haven't read up much on the Samsung model my dad wants, but online reviews so far for the Sony I'm looking at isn't good, but that's mainly due to the OS. Display specs wise it is solid, and the 55" I'm looking at even comes with 3-D.

Hmm...i guess the samsung model is ju6400? the ju6400 is known as ju6500 overseas so look for ju6500 when looking for reviews.

Actually the model ju7000 is the model that is comparable with x8500c, so when you compare ju6400 with x8500c definitely x8500c more expensive.

ju6400 is samsung's entry level 4k tv, so comparable model from sony is x8300c, but x8300c is not recommended because it comes with ips panel and seems like your father prefers va panel.

ju6400 should be ok if you are ok with it's shortcomings, can see more about it from the review below.

actually best if you can look at both ju6400 and x8500c in person and see whether you can see a difference or see which one more to your liking because reviews can only tell us so much, still have to use our eyes to see.

IIRC the x8500c cannot convert 2d content to 3d, the content must be in 3d.

Just wanna ask what's the reason for getting a 4k tv instead of 1080p? Because not only is it more expensive, you need to feed it with 4k content (which is still hard to find) to really get the benefit of 4k, also the size of the tv to see a real difference for 4k is > 60"

review for x8500c http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-brand/sony/x850c

review for ju6400 http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-brand/samsung/ju6500

Last edited:

ladiesman217

Master Member
Reaction score
Hmm...i guess the samsung model is ju6400? the ju6400 is known as ju6500 overseas so look for ju6500 when looking for reviews.

Actually the model ju7000 is the model that is comparable with x8500c, so when you compare ju6400 with x8500c definitely x8500c more expensive.

Just wanna ask what's the reason for getting a 4k tv instead of 1080p? Because not only is it more expensive, you need to feed it with 4k content (which is still hard to find) to really get the benefit of 4k, also the size of the tv to see a real difference for 4k is > 60"

4K is the future. In fact manufacturers are selling mostly 4K models liao. Why buy a 1080P TV now and next year when got more 4K contents and you find 1080P obsolete?

I've owned a 4K tv for the past year liao, and nowadays when I see a 1080P TV, I can see how ******* big the pixels are on it, especially on 55" and above. Sibei ugly and pixelated. I aiming to get 4K OLED next, coz the pixels on LG's 1080P OLED are too big and ugly.

kimurastanley

Reaction score
4K is the future. In fact manufacturers are selling mostly 4K models liao. Why buy a 1080P TV now and next year when got more 4K contents and you find 1080P obsolete?

I've owned a 4K tv for the past year liao, and nowadays when I see a 1080P TV, I can see how ******* big the pixels are on it, especially on 55" and above. Sibei ugly and pixelated. I aiming to get 4K OLED next, coz the pixels on LG's 1080P OLED are too big and ugly.

There is LG 4K OLED TV available now already

ahyong81

Reaction score
There is LG 4K OLED TV available now already

One of the salesperson told me oled has the same problem with plasma, it will leave a burn mark by those watermark shown on the top left or right of the screen by the tv channel.

The samsung tv (42 inch) i had, the internal chipset faulty just within 3 month of purchase.

The lg tv 55 inch tv, brought since 2011 till now, still in tip top condition. No fault before.

minute_me

Reaction score
Since everyone is telling you Samsung and you yourself know that reviews are not favourable and u still :s22::s22::s22:?

Koreans are taking over. They've been leading the market for years. Go to any store, confirm they recommend u LG or Samsung.

LG one and if I am not wrong, Samsungs...all their remotes can use like Nintendo wii wiimote. Wave here wave there machiam like mouse. Sibei song to use. Sony one using trackpad on their remote.
the latest LG magic remote is good. better than the last version.

ladiesman217

Master Member
Reaction score
the latest LG magic remote is good. better than the last version.

More buttons including number pad. Maybe a little too cluttered. Feels and looks cheap in my opinion. But webos very good to use.

Saw the 2015 Samsung remopte at the shops, damn chio...got stainless steel finish.

minute_me

Reaction score
More buttons including number pad. Maybe a little too cluttered. Feels and looks cheap in my opinion. But webos very good to use.

Saw the 2015 Samsung remopte at the shops, damn chio...got stainless steel finish.

I mean good from a functional point of view. the pointing is much more accurate. from the asthetic point of view, the old one probably nicer.

anyway, i prefer using a keyboard with track pad with LG TV.

still a bit buggy when using keyboard with track pad with Sony TV.

kosongice

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

ju6400 is samsung's entry level 4k tv, so comparable model from sony is x8300c, but x8300c is not recommended because it comes with ips panel and seems like your father prefers va panel.

ju6400 should be ok if you are ok with it's shortcomings, can see more about it from the review below.

actually best if you can look at both ju6400 and x8500c in person and see whether you can see a difference or see which one more to your liking because reviews can only tell us so much, still have to use our eyes to see.

Hey thanks for the detailed response once again! You work in electronics or something? Hahaha.

The reason I'm getting a 4k is basically cos I want something that is capable of integrating with future stuff. Like 1080 has already been out for quite some time, and I'm currently using a box TV, want to get might as well get the more advanced one right?

ck3128

Reaction score
X8500C users

Hi guys,

Just like to check with the owner of sony android TV user here, is it still buggy and some will still auto restart?

And for **X8500C** user, can you guys share how's ur user experience with this model so far? I've did some research and narrow down my research into this model now :s12::s12::s12:

Thanks so much guys! =:p

warr

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the detailed response once again! You work in electronics or something? Hahaha.

The reason I'm getting a 4k is basically cos I want something that is capable of integrating with future stuff. Like 1080 has already been out for quite some time, and I'm currently using a box TV, want to get might as well get the more advanced one right?

though 1080 has been out for 7 years, you only very recently have full 1080p content. even most HD channels on starhub is not in native 1080p. if it is a bad show, a high resolution is not going to make it a good show. upscaled source is still upscaled crap. only native 1080p shot in that resolution is a real 1080p.

4k? by the time true 4k content is prevalent, your 4k or hdr tv is already outdated. think of 2017. your new 4k tv at home now will look bad compared to tvs of 2017. there is 4k content, prepare to pay premium price for it.

never buy into the future of immature stuff. besides, 60 inch below. do u stare at pixels or enjoying content.

These are numbers games TV companies play to sell.

Last edited:

vuzuuu

Reaction score
I saw Netflix app on my tv, do I have to pay to watch netflix on my Sony android tv?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.