M1 Data Passport

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just to share that M1 has launched a new service call Data Passport. For $10/mth and a $2 activation fee, you can use your M1 monthly data in Japan. They are using SoftBank in Japan as the service provider.

This definitely helps me. I only have to spend $12 instead of paying a lot to rent mifi devices.

More information here: https://www.m1.com.sg/datapassport

Last edited:

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I saw the ad as well. Has anyone experienced it in terms of speed and reliability? Not sure if there are additional costs to cancel the subscription once you're back to SG.

stars87

Master Member
Reaction score
It might seem like I'm talking **** about m1 but the truth is SoftBank has horrible data networks.

I lived in Hokkaido from 2010 to 2011. Had a iPhone with flat rate data plan. In residential areas usually no problems but in crowded urban areas you can pretty much forget about making a call over data.

Whatsapp is fine and basic surfing is OK. But loading videos and streaming music is next to impossible usually.

Even with LTE and all the mass migration of users to Docomo and AU now that iphones are available carrier free, doubt the situation has improved much.

Happy to be proven wrong though. Can start a m1 Miffy service if anyone wants.

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It might seem like I'm talking **** about m1 but the truth is SoftBank has horrible data networks.

I lived in Hokkaido from 2010 to 2011. Had a iPhone with flat rate data plan. In residential areas usually no problems but in crowded urban areas you can pretty much forget about making a call over data.

Whatsapp is fine and basic surfing is OK. But loading videos and streaming music is next to impossible usually.

Even with LTE and all the mass migration of users to Docomo and AU now that iphones are available carrier free, doubt the situation has improved much.

Happy to be proven wrong though. Can start a m1 Miffy service if anyone wants.

Thanks for the inputs. I think as visitors, we need data to get locations and the internet for information and to message with family and friends. If I can do these stuff, I'm happy. For videos and music, I'll do that back in the hotel using the hotel's wifi.

I have a 3GB monthly plan. So spending $12 for 3GB plan in Japan is a good deal to me.

stars87

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs. I think as visitors, we need data to get locations and the internet for information and to message with family and friends. If I can do these stuff, I'm happy. For videos and music, I'll do that back in the hotel using the hotel's wifi.

I have a 3GB monthly plan. So spending $12 for 3GB plan in Japan is a good deal to me.

makes sense. dont doubt that. Guess mifi would make sense for those on group travels.

e.g 3-4 people on m1 data passport would be about 30-40 for a week and they would still have to consume their own data allowance from singapore.

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No harm trying. If it's very bad can always pop by BIC for their data card.

dlrowehtleah

Reaction score
the new service makes sense for frequent travelers (at least > 3 or more overseas trip per annual) as these trips help to even out the monthly fee which adds up to SGD122 pa.

otherwise for people who travels only once or twice a year, you'll be better off getting a local data sim. alternatively, apply and cancel the data passport service on a per trip basis.

iwirawan

Reaction score

I tried in JB, it works for few minutes and then gone...
To me it is a c**p, CS also refuse to cancel the charge.
Think about what can happen before use the service

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are you able to tether with it? How's the performance for checking emails and sending photos?

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I tried in JB, it works for few minutes and then gone...
To me it is a c**p, CS also refuse to cancel the charge.
Think about what can happen before use the service

Your experience is unfortunate. I've heard of many others who have no issues using it.

stars87

Master Member
Reaction score
Your experience is unfortunate. I've heard of many others who have no issues using it.

v5y32e.png
2ic5f6c.png
sq7ghz.png

stars87

Master Member
Reaction score
Notwithstanding the fact that one person's good is different from one person's acceptable, my theory on the performance you have been getting is because

you are roaming on e-mobile network. E-mobile was a smaller telco bought out by SoftBank and it gave them extra bandwith capacity.

2) most field reports are from Tokyo, Osaka or areas where population density is the highest. (And where base stations tend to be most densely positioned)

I would agree that SoftBank is sufficient for use. Email, maps and WhatsApp is OK. But more bandwith intensive application, e.G Skype, YouTube and others will simply not cut it.

xdivider

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Notwithstanding the fact that one person's good is different from one person's acceptable, my theory on the performance you have been getting is because

you are roaming on e-mobile network. E-mobile was a smaller telco bought out by SoftBank and it gave them extra bandwith capacity.

2) most field reports are from Tokyo, Osaka or areas where population density is the highest. (And where base stations tend to be most densely positioned)

I would agree that SoftBank is sufficient for use. Email, maps and WhatsApp is OK. But more bandwith intensive application, e.G Skype, YouTube and others will simply not cut it.

I was in sapporo, had a bit of problem connecting to it in chitose but worked after a while, then coverage was pretty decent throughout noboribetsu / shikotsuko / niseko / sapporo. granted most of my uses were google, jorudan, hyperdia and maps. Thats kinda why its good for those who uses these apps mainly to pay a flat $10 cos they barely exceed cap and bandwidth usage mostly. If u want u tube i suggest a mifi router, the reception is far better........

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.