EDMW Knife Collectors

anvil_den

Reaction score
Damn I'm still 61 post away from able to post peekture and links...
Quite happy with the result of my 2 centavos sharpening skills :)

elingtey

Reaction score
Hi Senior members,
I am trying to get Boker Kalashnikov Folding Knife with Pouch KAL11 at S$60, is that worth to collect?

anvil_den

Reaction score
I'll try my luck... pic of my sharpening handiwork last week on the Asymetric S90v... ~17.3 dps @ #1.5k grit - already feeling a little too smooth. Might have a go at it back with a #800 later tonite for some "bites"..

DSCN2918.JPG

Last edited:

Dr Hunt

Reaction score
Vespa bro, it's listed as prohibited.

I asked Black Tactical before it he could help me import Kershaw.
They say no to assisted opening leh. :(

Hi guys, I registered specifically to participate in this great knife thread.

There is another SPF list; LIST OF PROHIBITED ITEMS FOR PERSONS TRAVELLING TO SINGAPORE.

The SPF definition for flick knives is quite vague to me as a non law trained guy. It seems to refer to Auto knives, which local retailers concur and thus sell manual, assisted knives. I reckon it can be argued that flick definition includes assisted.

Sheares and BM shop still have assisted knives when I visited a few weeks back.

Bought a BM 950 Rift which I am considering to sell or spend time to modify the scales and liners for ergonomics.

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score
The SPF definition for flick knives is quite vague to me as a non law trained guy. It seems to refer to Auto knives, which local retailers concur and thus sell manual, assisted knives. I reckon it can be argued that flick definition includes assisted.

There are certain manual knives that can be "flicked" opened.

No, it is not via the thumbstud or thumbhole. What you do is you push the knife towards you and out and the knife flicks open without any contact to the blade.

Obviously, this only works on certain knives with weak/no detents. It also takes a good amount of practice.

But, they were designed as manual openers. Does that "exploit" make them flick knives now?

anvil_den

Reaction score
It is all rather vague. From the actual wording to the pictures they show in various checkpoints or on the SPF website. The "prohibited" folding knife shown is very often a manual flipper. Not even assisted. I was under the impression too that assisted was in the category of automatic under their ambiguous classification. However it seems that is not the case and hence we also see many shops/ merchant selling these. By definition anything that rotates upon a pivot can be errm "flicked". Finger flick via flipper, stud or hole or with the wrist alone on weaker detent ones... it's all a flick.

My greatest fear is if too many people start asking and pressing them for a definitive answer-- typical of how authorities/ governing body works is, they will say "Let's apply a "Ban Them All Across the Board"".

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
It is all rather vague. From the actual wording to the pictures they show in various checkpoints or on the SPF website. The "prohibited" folding knife shown is very often a manual flipper. Not even assisted. I was under the impression too that assisted was in the category of automatic under their ambiguous classification. However it seems that is not the case and hence we also see many shops/ merchant selling these. By definition anything that rotates upon a pivot can be errm "flicked". Finger flick via flipper, stud or hole or with the wrist alone on weaker detent ones... it's all a flick.

My greatest fear is if too many people start asking and pressing them for a definitive answer-- typical of how authorities/ governing body works is, they will say "Let's apply a "Ban Them All Across the Board"".

It's true, some matters do not warrant unnecessary attention and quite possibly the attendant disinformation or lack of knowledge.

Dr Hunt

Reaction score
they will say "Let's apply a "Ban Them All Across the Board"".

This will be disastrous. I am contented with manual opening knives and always use them with "lawful purpose".

Anyone enjoy camping/hiking? What knives do you use? Enough folders for me at the moment, I'm looking to get a puukko (e.g. Helle, Mora, Martinni) and/or sketetonized knife (e.g. Eskabar, Izula, Bark).

A Kukhri, parang will be nice to have but I doubt they'll see much action. Trying to keep all the knives as users.

anvil_den

Reaction score
This will be disastrous. I am contented with manual opening knives and always use them with "lawful purpose".

Anyone enjoy camping/hiking? What knives do you use? Enough folders for me at the moment, I'm looking to get a puukko (e.g. Helle, Mora, Martinni) and/or sketetonized knife (e.g. Eskabar, Izula, Bark).

A Kukhri, parang will be nice to have but I doubt they'll see much action. Trying to keep all the knives as users.

I do rotate a few folders but really have to admit they are over-glorified letter openers 99% of the time :) On most days a little gentleman folder and a 4-5" fix blade (when outdoors) keeps me happy. The latest "fix" err excuse the pun being the one I showed in the last foto post.. Asymetric S90V. Unless I have trail work to do.. still the preference is to carry a foldable machete. Don't wanna look like a mountain biking samurai flying down the trail ;)

Last edited:

Dr Hunt

Reaction score
I do rotate a few folders but really have to admit they are over-glorified letter openers 99% of the time :) On most days a little gentleman folder and a 4-5" fix blade keeps me happy. The latest "fix" err excuse the pun being the one I showed in the last foto post.. Asymetric S90V. Unless I have trail work to do.. still the preference is to carry a foldable machete. Don't wanna look like a mountain biking samurai flying down the trail ;)

Yea, mine are serving daily duties as package openers and flicky entertainment on the desks. Had more use as kitchen knives when I was living at a rented place and while travelling.

Awesome handle form and finish on your new fixer. Which foldable machete?
Mountain biking samurai sounds fun though. Lol.

anvil_den

Reaction score
I rock a Coldsteel Rajah II, AUS8 blade...strictly utilitarian.. unlike some of my fancy letter openers :)

9BWssOg6RJaTb-BWjNLEJwIjJIi7WibnAZ_M98KAv38.jpg

Dr Hunt

Reaction score
I rock a Coldsteel Rajah II, AUS8 blade...strictly utilitarian.. unlike some of my fancy letter openers :)

Nice shot of a working knife, Den. It's a unique design with the short khukuri-like blade and long handle.

The KH Gurkha Jungle, apparently SPGC's 2009 issue non-ceremonial khukuri has a bit of fanboy appeal for me :s13:

Dr Hunt

Reaction score
Anyone have triple laminated non-kitchen use, fixed blades in Japanese tradition? My limited knowledge only include Murray Carter's knives.

Looking for 4" blade length, 3 3/4" handle, drop point and decent belly.

Have a good weekend. Cheers!

Dr Hunt

Reaction score
Anyone have triple laminated non-kitchen use, fixed blades in Japanese tradition? My limited knowledge only include Murray Carter's knives.

Looking for 4" blade length, 3 3/4" handle, drop point and decent belly. Not sure if 150usd enough.

Last edited:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score

Looking for 4" blade length, 3 3/4" handle, drop point and decent belly. Not sure if 150usd enough.

1. CAS (Claudio Sobral) hunter, san mai steel (stainless cladding) with beautiful lamination line, high carbon core and razor sharp. super ergonomic micarta handle, stainless guard, domed pins and beautifully tooled sheath.

USD625 via paypal. I'll take less if you want to close quickly by this weekend.

image.jpg1_zpsr8dod8aq.jpg

USD150 for a laminated blade is challenging (especially stainless clad) but maybe $250-300 is ok - I've seen a relatively unknown knifemaker selling fixed blades with laminated blades there (look at the for sale by knifemaker's sub-forum) - can't remember this name.

Otherwise, you can try finnish/Danish/Swedish/Norwegian puukkos - they also like laminated steel.

Oh, maybe you can try Takeshi Saji for Japanese style blades, but also closer to $300, he uses suminagashi Damascus cladded blades with a stainless or high carbon core as well.

Last edited:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Nice shot of a working knife, Den. It's a unique design with the short khukuri-like blade and long handle.

The KH Gurkha Jungle, apparently SPGC's 2009 issue non-ceremonial khukuri has a bit of fanboy appeal for me :s13:

I vote parang over khukri any day and twice on weekends =:p

Dr Hunt

Reaction score
Vespaguy, thanks for your great offer. Its a beautiful beast of a knife. Quite a far bit out of my budget though. Haha.

Saji TS-45 Kurobi looks neat. Got to check if Japanese knife direct dot com is reputable.

I was considering Helle knives, but decided not to get a scandi grind blade anytime soon.

P.S the pc and phone keep showing problems with reply posts.

Dr Hunt

Reaction score
How many votes can a guy vote on knives?

Why do you vote multiple times for parang? I'm sure you have some exotic parangs in the collection.

The parang I know are sold on outdoor dynamics dot com, made in Msia. I remember reading someone mention here that khukuri or knives with cutting edge above 12 inch are not allowed by customs. Is it true?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.