Standard Chartered - Only Online Trading in town with no minimum commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This would still mean that I can still use my dash account and close my esaver account yeah? The cso completely wasted my time earlier

seriously if you cant keep 1k balance, its better you dont trade shares. accumulate your savings first.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some of us don't want to keep 1k balance because we can get better interest rates elsewhere

1k at 1% pa is a loss of $10 per year if you keep in esaver.

by closing the account, you miss the potential high interest rate promotion which the benefit is more than offset the loss.

assuming you have a big savings.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
It's pointless to argue whether keeping esaver is good because some likes the $1k to earn more in other higher interest saving account like ocbc360 and the uob one, not to mention the constant switching of funds in and out of esaver to get the extra % is too troublesome etc...

Best to leave it up to the individuals. They should know how comfortable they are with their $$ in the accounts they like given their situation.

I have no issues with the 1k minimum though and will keep my esaver.

Last edited:

ericz520

Reaction score
Why my mcash wallet can't transfer the money to my dash account? Keep pop out saying System error. Do i need IB to do it?

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Why my mcash wallet can't transfer the money to my dash account? Keep pop out saying System error. Do i need IB to do it?

Try in the morning again, if not call up SCB.
Mine has no issues.

hyperbole

Master Member
Reaction score
1k at 1% pa is a loss of $10 per year if you keep in esaver.

by closing the account, you miss the potential high interest rate promotion which the benefit is more than offset the loss.

assuming you have a big savings.

agree it's pointless to argue. want to keep or not should be up to the individual.

just cos someone prefers to use the dash account over esaver doesn't mean that person has less than 1k and shouldn't invest.

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just got SCB online trading access.
quik qn : platform cannot buy / sell bonds on SGX is it ? like CapMall or FCL. Key in code & platform says not found.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Don't use the search, just key the code to buy. Should be able to see.

Joeil-

Reaction score
If the status is "filled", what does it mean? I already successfully purchased the shares? But why then my settlement account didn't got deducted?

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If the status is "filled", what does it mean? I already successfully purchased the shares? But why then my settlement account didn't got deducted?

Yes it means your order was ful-"filled".

The money will be deducted after 3 days as per standard SGX settlement rules, but your cash balance is NOT reflected. SCB's kinda clunky that way

Last edited:

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Asphodeli got it wrong this time.
SCB is a cash up front account.
Your $$ is deducted immediately, just not reflected immediately until 3 working day later.
edit:You cannot use whatever fund you see as it's deducted already.

It works both way. When you sell, although you can't see your capital increases, you can immediately use the fund to purchase stocks but...
you can't transfer $$ out to other account until it's shown/updated in your account.

Last edited:

Joeil-

Reaction score
Thanks. Just asking since ETF tracks a number of top holdings (ie. DBS as one of them), then what's the difference of buying this and buying DBS shares alone? Does it mean buying ETF is like not putting all eggs in one basket? Other than this, it is the same holding DBS shares alone compared to DBS shares as one of the holdings in your ETF?

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Just asking since ETF tracks a number of top holdings (ie. DBS as one of them), then what's the difference of buying this and buying DBS shares alone? Does it mean buying ETF is like not putting all eggs in one basket? Other than this, it is the same holding DBS shares alone compared to DBS shares as one of the holdings in your ETF?

Quite a few difference actually.

When you buy etf, you diversify immediately, that is right.
You can't attend AGM of individual companies so you can't vote and you can't get any freebies(important to the uncles/aunties, =P) at AGM.
You can't get the individual companies' dividends which tends to be higher.
You can't get discounted shares.
You can't dictate what's included or excluded from that 30 companies(I wouldn't put Golden Agri, Olam or Noble in there by now)
etc...

You do get lesser risk since the odds of 30 companies folding together is almost 0 barring all out war.
You also get less complication than buying 30 companies and keeping up with their dividends/rights/AGM etc...
Not to mention less letters/reports/analysis...
You also get bigger companies without doing anything since the 30 companies are replaced upon hitting some criteria so you don't have to manually do the replacing of weak companies.
etc...

Joeil-

Reaction score
Quite a few difference actually.

When you buy etf, you diversify immediately, that is right.
You can't attend AGM of individual companies so you can't vote and you can't get any freebies(important to the uncles/aunties, =P) at AGM.
You can't get the individual companies' dividends which tends to be higher.
You can't get discounted shares.
You can't dictate what's included or excluded from that 30 companies(I wouldn't put Golden Agri, Olam or Noble in there by now)
etc...

You do get lesser risk since the odds of 30 companies folding together is almost 0 barring all out war.
You also get less complication than buying 30 companies and keeping up with their dividends/rights/AGM etc...
Not to mention less letters/reports/analysis...
You also get bigger companies without doing anything since the 30 companies are replaced upon hitting some criteria so you don't have to manually do the replacing of weak companies.
etc...

If etf dividends will be lower than individual company dividend, any way I can see how much dividend for each company under the etf?

And talking about letters/reports, I understand that by going through SCB, they will be the custodian of my shares. This means the company doesn't recognise me as their shareholder, but SCB which also means I won't receive the company's reports/letters right?

Bedokian

Reaction score
If etf dividends will be lower than individual company dividend, any way I can see how much dividend for each company under the etf?

And talking about letters/reports, I understand that by going through SCB, they will be the custodian of my shares. This means the company doesn't recognise me as their shareholder, but SCB which also means I won't receive the company's reports/letters right?

All can be found in the respective companies' websites, usually under investor relations link. Or you can go to the SGX corporate announcements page to look for the information.

You will not receive the annual reports and such, but then again you can look them up in the places in the previous paragraph above.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.