iPad Mini Retina - Volume very soft

Shutterfly

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For those who own the iPad Mini Retina, do you guys notice the volume to be noticeably softer than the normal iPad like for my case iPad 4? Very often, I need to tune up the volume to be almost 80-90% whereas on my iPad 4, just need to up on 20%.

Food_Lover

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you deem its a hardware issue, head down to AASP for further diagnostic.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For those who own the iPad Mini Retina, do you guys notice the volume to be noticeably softer than the normal iPad like for my case iPad 4? Very often, I need to tune up the volume to be almost 80-90% whereas on my iPad 4, just need to up on 20%.

I believe u're referring to the mini 2? I have the mini 2 and it's definitely not normal on your description, most probably a hardware issue as mentioned.

Shutterfly

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I believe u're referring to the mini 2? I have the mini 2 and it's definitely not normal on your description, most probably a hardware issue as mentioned.

Yes, iPad mini 2. I did a comparison and is surprised by the drastic difference in volume between the mini 2 and my iPad 4.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, iPad mini 2. I did a comparison and is surprised by the drastic difference in volume between the mini 2 and my iPad 4.

My colleague used an iPad 4 before changing to the Air 2 and compared with his iPad 4, my mini 2's volume is comparable to his so honestly there's no volume difference or even worse, a drastic difference.

So I could perhaps safely say the speaker is faulty.

Shutterfly

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My colleague used an iPad 4 before changing to the Air 2 and compared with his iPad 4, my mini 2's volume is comparable to his so honestly there's no volume difference or even worse, a drastic difference.

So I could perhaps safely say the speaker is faulty.

Noted. Thanks! I will bring it down to the service center sometime this week to have it checked. :)

maxheadroom

Reaction score
Do U happen to have Facebook open on the background. If yes, try closing it & see if the volume come back ok.

Baby Devil

Reaction score
yes ipad mini 2 speaker is definitely softer than ipad 2,3,4 and also ipad mini 1. Compare to ipad air though im not too sure, never use it. But although it's softer, the audio quality is better and sounds more stereo like.

Shutterfly

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just an update of status. I went down to A.Lab (Plaza Sing) to let them have a look at my iPad mini. Was surprised by their way of testing. The support guy turned the volume to max and tried to listen in the nosy environment and said the iPad was fine. I forced him to do a comparison with another iPad Air and indeed it was softer. However, he said this should be normal (he was quite unsure also). After insisting that it was not normal to max out volume just to listen, he went to grab an iPad mini to do a comparison. The behaviour seems to be quite similar though quite hard to tell because of the noisy environment. In the end no choice but to take back the iPad mini without any repair. I was expecting a more "professional" way to test if the speaker is working fine. Haha.

hnzfaz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just an update of status. I went down to A.Lab (Plaza Sing) to let them have a look at my iPad mini. Was surprised by their way of testing. The support guy turned the volume to max and tried to listen in the nosy environment and said the iPad was fine. I forced him to do a comparison with another iPad Air and indeed it was softer. However, he said this should be normal (he was quite unsure also). After insisting that it was not normal to max out volume just to listen, he went to grab an iPad mini to do a comparison. The behaviour seems to be quite similar though quite hard to tell because of the noisy environment. In the end no choice but to take back the iPad mini without any repair. I was expecting a more "professional" way to test if the speaker is working fine. Haha.
In the us, you prob could get a 1 to 1 exchange if you'd bought it not too long ago, but not in Singapore. The consumer right pretty much sucks here, even for apple. I had an intermittent prob with ipad which is well reported by 100s of users in apple forums. The A lab staff simply rejected my request for exchange, though I'd bought for just 2 says. They told me it will be sent for repairs.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.