Standard Chartered - Only Online Trading in town with no minimum commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeil-

Reaction score
All can be found in the respective companies' websites, usually under investor relations link. Or you can go to the SGX corporate announcements page to look for the information.

You will not receive the annual reports and such, but then again you can look them up in the places in the previous paragraph above.

Not sure if we are on the same line, I'm aware that I can find those info from the respective companies. But these info only applies when I buy their shares by itself right? For example, DBS. What if I buy etf (and etf has DBS in it), DBS website won't state the dividend payout of the DBS under etf? Cos Perisher mentioned earlier than DBS under ETF dividend will be lower than DBS by itself?

Bedokian

Reaction score
Not sure if we are on the same line, I'm aware that I can find those info from the respective companies. But these info only applies when I buy their shares by itself right? For example, DBS. What if I buy etf (and etf has DBS in it), DBS website won't state the dividend payout of the DBS under etf? Cos Perisher mentioned earlier than DBS under ETF dividend will be lower than DBS by itself?

It is because the ETF provider is not related to DBS, or any other underlying shares that it is holding.

Using your example of DBS and the STI ETF, the STI ETF is a fund administered by SPDR. As the STI ETF tracks the STI, it replicates or "mimics" the STI by holding the shares of the various companies in the STI itself. In summary, the ETF is like a fund or investment portfolio and DBS itself is not concerned which ETF is holding their shares (hence they do not display the dividend info on DBS's website). In actual fact, there are at least tens other ETFs and probably hundreds of unit trusts holding DBS shares.

To really see how much the ETF is paying, you will have to go to the ETF website itself to view the dividend history (SPDR).

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Asphodeli got it wrong this time.
SCB is a cash up front account.
Your $$ is deducted immediately, just not reflected immediately until 3 working day later.
edit:You cannot use whatever fund you see as it's deducted already.

Egad, Perisher is right. Was writing a blog post while surfing HWZ, hence the half-correct answer.

Protip: Before you buy, you can click on the "Refresh" button on the right hand side of the screen to confirm your net cash balances so far.

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Just asking since ETF tracks a number of top holdings (ie. DBS as one of them), then what's the difference of buying this and buying DBS shares alone? Does it mean buying ETF is like not putting all eggs in one basket? Other than this, it is the same holding DBS shares alone compared to DBS shares as one of the holdings in your ETF?

Yes it is to diversify risk associated with buying a single company (see Genting, NOL). Yes it is the same DBS shares, but technically you don't own the DBS shares, as the ETF manager is the one that holds the underlying shares. What you are buying is a unit in that ETF. In short it's a system similar to unit trusts, except that it is a lot cheaper (relatively), more transparent, and no extortionate fees.

If etf dividends will be lower than individual company dividend, any way I can see how much dividend for each company under the etf?

And talking about letters/reports, I understand that by going through SCB, they will be the custodian of my shares. This means the company doesn't recognise me as their shareholder, but SCB which also means I won't receive the company's reports/letters right?

Joeil, the reason why dividends are lower than an individual company is because not all companies in the ETF gives dividends, and definitely they don't give dividends at the same yield. What the ETF manager does is to gauge how much dividend should one unit of the ETF fund have based on how much dividend it has collected, and then distribute that to you as a unitholder.

Regarding SCB's custodian services, you won't be getting the reports/circulars/letters, etc. but you have the basic right to attend their AGM, if you call up SCB in advance. So far I've been unsuccessful for some unknown reason - probably the company which I own shares in doesn't like this arrangement, or some other issue which I don't know.

Last edited:

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

The gross dividends collected should be the same. ie If the fund holds 1M shares of DBS, the dividends will be the same as someone who holds 1M of shares of DBS. Of course there may be very small amount of handling fees to be deducted.

These dividends will go back to the fund, accumulated and pay out as a dividend together with the other holdings of the fund at a frequency as stipulated by the fund objective. i think its semi-annually.

ericz520

Reaction score
Try in the morning again, if not call up SCB.
Mine has no issues.
I called Dash Banking and say about mcash can't save to dash savings and they say they not sure. Oh god. Should i just call the actual SCB number? Dash CSO seem dont know anything.

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I called Dash Banking and say about mcash can't save to dash savings and they say they not sure. Oh god. Should i just call the actual SCB number? Dash CSO seem dont know anything.

I assume you have both an mCash and Dash Savings account? Did you get your Dash ATM card already?

deathman91

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I recently just applied for the SCB trading account together with their e$aver.

Right now I can see that the account is opened, under "ACCOUNT" I see "SECURITIES SETTLEMENT ACCOUNT". But when I try to access trading it asks me to apply for a trading account. Just to check I am accessing correctly?

lyVgmqK.png

Last edited:

moisuperman

Master Member
Reaction score

Right now I can see that the account is opened, under "ACCOUNT" I see "SECURITIES SETTLEMENT ACCOUNT". But when I try to access trading it asks me to apply for a trading account. Just to check I am accessing correctly?

Also to transfer funds to my SCB Securities account, I just treat it like a deposit account and transfer fund into the account number?

DBS -> IFAST -> SCB Securities Account ?
or DBS -> e$aver -> SCB Securities Account?

lyVgmqK.png
Must wait awhile. Last time when I just open also like that

Sent from OnePlus A0001 using GAGT

Joeil-

Reaction score

lyVgmqK.png

For me, I waited around 1 week plus for the trading account to be activated after application

ericz520

Reaction score
OK then I think you have the right to call up SCB liao.
Alright. I called SCB and they say if I want to save money from mcash to dash account. I need to have a remaining of $10 in mcash then I can transfer. Is that true? I didnt know that.

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Alright. I called SCB and they say if I want to save money from mcash to dash account. I need to have a remaining of $10 in mcash then I can transfer. Is that true? I didnt know that.
Eh I not sure but I always transfer in round numbers one like 10, 50, 100. A workaround is to topup mcash to a round number and then use the Dash app to transfer back

Sent from Sony D5833 using GAGT

deathman91

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How did you guys open dash easy account? I already have the dash pay, which is mcash account right?

I tried to use this https://apply.dash.com.sg/easy2/ but keep error...

It looks like the system is unable to process your application.

If this is your first time signing up for Dash Easy, please go back and try again. Do check that you’ve entered the right details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.