EDMW Knife Collectors

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
You can click the link. It is 81.95 USD, will be around SGD $130 when it is shipped here. But the release date is still uncertain. Not sure how fast it'll go out when it hits the market.

that's a good price for a supersteel. HAP40 is non stainless though right?

squarebox

Reaction score
HAP40 is definitely looking good as an alternative to M4.
zDXuViI.jpg

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
damn, that looks good! looks about the same chromium as 3V. rust magnet-in-da-pocket for me though =:p

I wonder if vanadis10 is anywhere like this....

Kachangputay

Reaction score
Hey there guys, I've got a few productions that I wanna move.

First I have a spyderco Endura 4 in blue FRN handles! Bladesteel is 3.75" in vg-10, one of my favorite steels! Have used it once for food prep, but still show no marks of usage anywhere on the knife. Never sharpened. 90SGD

Next I have a CRKT Ikoma fossil. This is the plain edge 3.96" satin one. It runs on IKBS and is one of the smoothest flipper I have! I would say that the action rivals that of some custom knives. Never used it or sharpen it, lock up is about 50%. Blade centering is dead centre on this one, which I'm pretty lucky as I heard some of these fossils have off centering and bad QC. 100SGD

Lastly, I have a ZT0801BW in a 3.5" Elmax steel. Whole knife is black washed, a really nice finish I must say. It has been sharpened and used to cut small boxes. But the blade doesn't have any marks. The black wash finish on the blade masks any marks easily, but I can't see any obvious signs of usage. Centering is perfect too, lockup is as when I received it, around 30-40%. 190SGD

I don't have enough post count to post pictures, but drop me a pm with your email and I'll send you some! Prices are negotiable, any questions just pm me. Happy collecting!

gamer37023

Reaction score
Ask u guys hor.

Thinking of getting a knife with around $50 budget. Looking at black tactical and urbantoolhaus for their most-likely china knives, and also thinking of importing from knifecenter...also most likely China knives around that budget. Which one u guys think its better? Import vs Local scene. Cuz apparently they sell different models, so hard to compare leh

I'll put this upfront and apologize first, but please don't tell me to invest in a good quality $200+ knife. Firstly, not for field purposes, just for general duty, most likely just see see look look:D. Secondly, my first few knives, wanna know how to take care of it before considering breaking the bank;)

Kcusts

Master Member
Reaction score
Ask u guys hor.

Thinking of getting a knife with around $50 budget. Looking at black tactical and urbantoolhaus for their most-likely china knives, and also thinking of importing from knifecenter...also most likely China knives around that budget. Which one u guys think its better? Import vs Local scene. Cuz apparently they sell different models, so hard to compare leh

I'll put this upfront and apologize first, but please don't tell me to invest in a good quality $200+ knife. Firstly, not for field purposes, just for general duty, most likely just see see look look:D. Secondly, my first few knives, wanna know how to take care of it before considering breaking the bank;)

Look for Sanrenmu at eBay. Reasonable knife at a budget price. There are ones with multi-tools. Reviews can be found on Youtube.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Hey there guys, I've got a few productions that I wanna move.

First I have a spyderco Endura 4 in blue FRN handles! Bladesteel is 3.75" in vg-10, one of my favorite steels! Have used it once for food prep, but still show no marks of usage anywhere on the knife. Never sharpened. 90SGD

Next I have a CRKT Ikoma fossil. This is the plain edge 3.96" satin one. It runs on IKBS and is one of the smoothest flipper I have! I would say that the action rivals that of some custom knives. Never used it or sharpen it, lock up is about 50%. Blade centering is dead centre on this one, which I'm pretty lucky as I heard some of these fossils have off centering and bad QC. 100SGD

Lastly, I have a ZT0801BW in a 3.5" Elmax steel. Whole knife is black washed, a really nice finish I must say. It has been sharpened and used to cut small boxes. But the blade doesn't have any marks. The black wash finish on the blade masks any marks easily, but I can't see any obvious signs of usage. Centering is perfect too, lockup is as when I received it, around 30-40%. 190SGD

I don't have enough post count to post pictures, but drop me a pm with your email and I'll send you some! Prices are negotiable, any questions just pm me. Happy collecting!

Ask u guys hor.

gamer, maybe you can reach out to kachang for his endura and you guys can work something out? Endura is always a winner although it is a large knife. VG10 takes a scary sharp edge, and is easy to sharpen too. USD is going up, breached 1.4, so bear that in mind.

Sanrenmus are good and cheap. Better than what most people think. I'd say it's value for money. Don't be expecting heirloom quality either but they're no slouches. However, they come with no practical warranty - have you tried a warranty claim with Chinese companies?

I recall having seen the knock-off Mike Snody benchmade folders for sale at $40-50 on the sale forums here on HWZ. Go search for them, maybe the seller still has them - that's a good buy, they came with 440C steel, which, if heat treated properly is adequate for EDC and it's easy to sharpen too, you don't have to contend with the vanadium carbides like in the supersteels.

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score
gamer, maybe you can reach out to kachang for his endura and you guys can work something out? Endura is always a winner although it is a large knife. VG10 takes a scary sharp edge, and is easy to sharpen too. USD is going up, breached 1.4, so bear that in mind.

Sanrenmus are good and cheap. Better than what most people think. I'd say it's value for money. Don't be expecting heirloom quality either but they're no slouches. However, they come with no practical warranty - have you tried a warranty claim with Chinese companies?

I recall having seen the knock-off Mike Snody benchmade folders for sale at $40-50 on the sale forums here on HWZ. Go search for them, maybe the seller still has them - that's a good buy, they came with 440C steel, which, if heat treated properly is adequate for EDC and it's easy to sharpen too, you don't have to contend with the vanadium carbides like in the supersteels.

Agreed, SGD $90 is a really good price for an Endura and you will not regret getting it. This is coming from a guy who used to buy many Sanrenmu/Enlan/Ganzo knives. The Chinese knives are still good, but nowadays the Delica is my go to knife for most tasks.

(SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT: Alternatively, you can wait for my Kershaw Skylines to arrive next week. Will be $70 each for them.)

Ask u guys hor.

If budget is really an issue and you do not want to get the Endura, try importing the Sanrenmu/Enlan/Ganzo knives from Fasttech instead.

The only drawback is that you have to wait a long time before the knives reach you. I'm not too sure about their shipping policy now, but the last time I tried, they're definitely legit.

Last edited:

gamer37023

Reaction score
Thank for the advices, this is really a helpful forum :D

I'm initially skeptical about Sanrenmu and other China brands cuz well, they're from China. But then again, some of the more notable names like S&W also manufactures them from China, maybe just a placebo effect? To be honest, is there really a notable difference in quality between China Brand knives and Made-in-China USA-branded knives?

Anyways the enduras from this kachang u mentioned, is it a second-hand product? Forgive me for my superstition, but I'm not inclined towards second-hand knives. :(

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score

I'm initially skeptical about Sanrenmu and other China brands cuz well, they're from China. But then again, some of the more notable names like S&W also manufactures them from China, maybe just a placebo effect? To be honest, is there really a notable difference in quality between China Brand knives and Made-in-China USA-branded knives?

Anyways the enduras from this kachang u mentioned, is it a second-hand product? Forgive me for my superstition, but I'm not inclined towards second-hand knives. :(

Firearm brands like S&W and Remmington were never good knife manufacturers to begin with. I would consider Sanrenmu/Enlan/Ganzo to be better than them. Plus you don't have to pay a markup for their branding.

Besides, it is rumoured that USA brands get Sanrenmu/Enlan/Ganzo to make their budget line of knives.

As for the Endura:

Kachangputay

Reaction score

You can consider it to be a second hand product because I've used it to slice some meat back at home. But I assure you that there's no marks on anything on the blade. I'm confident you can't tell the difference between a new one and mine! Anyway You're always welcome to touch touch see see before you commit to it :) vg10 for $90 is an awesome steal for that steel hahaha

As for a sanrenmj, I've ordered one before on eBay and it arrived in like 3 weeks. However I can't complain for a $10 knife as it was surprisingly good! It ended up as a gift to a friend though. But I do think it's a good choice for a first knife, to test sharpening and all kinds of fun stuff on it. However once the knife bug hits you.... Hahaha. Sanrenmu's factory produces spydercos so the QC on those are good.

I don't have enough experience in China knives to have an opinion on China knives vs USA brand MIC knives but the latter has a better reputation. But it also still depends on the brand because some USA brand company has horrible QC.

Last edited:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
S&W, Taylor, United etc etc all get their knives from Chinese factories. There's a reason why Chinese knives are cheap - lower wages/benefits, lower EHS standards, lower quality materials (do you trust the Chinese manufacturers when they say they use XXX or YYY? I don't), lower QC, lower levels of training for long term workforce, lower R&D cost (hence you get lots of copies and clones - it's cheaper to reverse engineer than do your own engineering). Top that with lower ethical standards.

Would I use one? Yes. NOt all are bad, some are helluva good actually.

Would I spend a lot on one? No, unless there's good customer service/support, clear channels of communication and trust.

Do I have any? Yes, I have a clone which had lots of issues. I spent $$ to improve on the clone. It's a fun knife but there's no way I could've sent the knife back for a fix. Lucky for me, I have friends who have pull with knifemakers who can fix things.

Back to gamer....don't spend $20 here, $30 there, $40 here, $50 there only to end up spending the $100 that you could've spent right at the beginning whilst avoiding the trial and error. I would rather one good knife in my drawer than have it full of knives I would not pocket years down the road.

Ultimately, it's up to you - are you the type that prefers to buy the cheapest generic brand rice cooker, or a made in japan zojirushi/tiger/Toshiba that you can trust to still work 5 years down the road?

For fixed blades, I say try custom knifemakers who can grind the blade as per your wants - most production knives have thick edges (tougher, so less warranty issues due to abuse). I like my blades to have thin edges - I do not pry with my knives and like to cut food, so thin is good =:p

Last edited:

worcer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
China knives dun do good heat treat. They are so backward on heat treating process.

The process for china knife making is random. Even those swordmakers endose by China top brass makes really bad swords...

they uses those process without knowing why they do that.

So i still believe western particle metallurgy.

anvil_den

Reaction score
Ask u guys hor.

If it's China- china brands like Sanrenmu, enlan or ganzo-- just go and find in Aliexpress.. For between USD10-20 inclu. free shipping. Can't really go wrong. Yea many people will raise a brow when Aliexpress is mentioned. But objectively Chinese website to buy a China knife-- it's really cheaper than most. Just don't expect a lot out of their usual steels or even their construction on some models.. but for daily beater or use to learn how to sharpen knives, mod some handle scale etc... its fair deal. But seriously as some have suggested, start out with a better knife if it's meant to be carried and use. If $200+ is still steep.. go with $100+
I'm not a fan of some of those local online sites or physical shops mentioned. Edgepedition is better imo...

Dr Hunt

Reaction score
+1 for the Endura. Would have got it if I had known if before getting my first folder ; the OKC RATII.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
+1 for the Endura. Would have got it if I had known if before getting my first folder ; the OKC RATII.

Used mine extensively for camping/travelling/cooking. VG10, ZDP and the H1 Salt version. Great knife for the money. Sal/Spyderco designed and manufactured both the Delica and Endura as the knife to introduce Spyderco to everyone...the price is made especially attractive.

The VG10 FFG G10 version is especially yummy.

Dr Hunt

Reaction score
Used mine extensively for camping/travelling/cooking. VG10, ZDP and the H1 Salt version. Great knife for the money. Sal/Spyderco designed and manufactured both the Delica and Endura as the knife to introduce Spyderco to everyone...the price is made especially attractive.

The VG10 FFG G10 version is especially yummy.

There is a G10 handle variant?

I might get the Endura with wave opener to replace the RATII.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.