All about Dividends

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi guys so which share is considerably good growth n dividend is really good? The realtis shares is it?

Is there a website can summarise dividend? I look at Sgx app of the shares dividend no. I not sure it is saying in percentage point 2% or it says 0.02 cents per share when it writes 0.02? Really confused. Lol. Tks.

Good growth should look at the booming health sector like RMG/SOG/Q&M, of course that also means higher risk.

Good dividends, yup, look at reits/trust/ and other more complicated ones like rickmers? Of course, high dividends also likely means higher risk.

There is investmentmoat's blog that holds quite a bit of dividend payers or dividends.sg which should have most of the dividends counter available.

As for 0.02 usually means cents/dollars, yield is mentioned in % terms almost everywhere. But I don't use that app so I can't confirm. You tally Starhub quite standard, $0.20 every year which is $0.05 4 times a year.

boons4

Reaction score
Bro perisher lol ur nic. Tks alot..u really give great infor I pm u.

Wow imagine if ppl put 50k to earn 9% dividend ..isn't it very good?

Good growth should look at the booming health sector like RMG/SOG/Q&M, of course that also means higher risk.

Good dividends, yup, look at reits/trust/ and other more complicated ones like rickmers? Of course, high dividends also likely means higher risk.

There is investmentmoat's blog that holds quite a bit of dividend payers or dividends.sg which should have most of the dividends counter available.

As for 0.02 usually means cents/dollars, yield is mentioned in % terms almost everywhere. But I don't use that app so I can't confirm. You tally Starhub quite standard, $0.20 every year which is $0.05 4 times a year.

LordLuffy

Reaction score
Sorry to disturb the discussion, but I have a few questions to ask as I don't understand how these things work.

1. After dividends are paid, the next day, the ex-dividend date, why would the price price based on the amount of dividends given? Is it due to people selling off their shares? Or is it some mechanism?

2. As for share prices itself, what can cause the price of shares to increase/decrease? Is it only affected by buying and selling? Are there any other ways to affect it?

Bedokian

Reaction score
Sorry to disturb the discussion, but I have a few questions to ask as I don't understand how these things work.

1. After dividends are paid, the next day, the ex-dividend date, why would the price price based on the amount of dividends given? Is it due to people selling off their shares? Or is it some mechanism?

2. As for share prices itself, what can cause the price of shares to increase/decrease? Is it only affected by buying and selling? Are there any other ways to affect it?

1. Not sure about the question, can rephrase a bit?

2. 3 things - supply, demand and market sentiment.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

The reason for the adjustment is that the amount paid out in dividends no longer belongs to the company and this is reflected by a reduction in the company's market cap. Instead, it belongs to the individual shareholders. For those purchasing shares after the ex-dividend date, they no longer have a claim to the dividend, so the exchange adjusts the price downward to reflect this fact.

From Investopedia.

2. Buy/Sell/Dividends/Rights etc?

Gummy Bear

Reaction score
IMG.jpg

I already posted this in the CPF investment thread. Bought FCT for $7,300 in 2008-2009. Collecting annual dividend of about $1,540. So I consider my dividend warrior strategy reasonably successful

In contrast, I bought UOB same period for $8,000, UOB not known as a dividend stock but big component of STI. Annual dividend only $550. So the prediction in the chart above turned out to be true, dividend yield of FCT is almost 3x that of UOB.
Sorry for my newbie question.. How do you calculate the div yield base on the above numbers? Sorry Im abit confuse here..:D

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Sorry for my newbie question.. How do you calculate the div yield base on the above numbers? Sorry Im abit confuse here..:D

You can't calculate dividend yield base on the picture as it's showing dividend yield already and it's not showing the exact dividends given.

But you can calculate the dividend yield using limster's numbers which shows exact dividends given per year($1540) and the share price($7300) though you dunno how many shares he bought.
Just divide 1540 by 7300 as a percentage which is 21% dividend yield.:eek:
UOB's example would be 6.875%

All dividend yield you see everywhere is calculated based on current share price and current 1 year dividend given. Just divide the dividend's exact 1 year payout by the current share price as a percentage and you will get the current dividend yield if you buy at that share price now.

fishfishfish81

Reaction score
Hi guys, just want to ask some questions. Cos im going to invest soon.

1.when dividends are issued, do they send u a letter? Or can request for email?

2.is it paid out in cheque or banked in?

3.which platform allows auto reinvestment of dividends? Meaning dividends earned goes straight to buying more shares if possible.

Why im askong abt 1 and 2 is cos im overseas

Red_Cheesepie

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, just want to ask some questions. Cos im going to invest soon.

1.when dividends are issued, do they send u a letter? Or can request for email?

2.is it paid out in cheque or banked in?

3.which platform allows auto reinvestment of dividends? Meaning dividends earned goes straight to buying more shares if possible.

Why im askong abt 1 and 2 is cos im overseas

I'm overseas too, not an issue at all.

Dividends will be announced in their quarterly reports or bi annually reports. Can be check online via SGX or their website 'investors relations' or financial news anywhere online.

Dividends will go into the bank account nominated to CDP by your broker when opening account with the brokers.

Auto reinvestment plan depends on the coy, if there is this scheme, they will mail a letter to you, asking you if you want to receive cash or shares at a discounted price or partial cash and shares (depends on coy).

If you are overseas, the last point might be an issue cos you need to return your reply via mail, so this may be quite troublesome.

Vicodin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are you considered to own the shares on trade date or settlement date?

Eg Buy order filled on 1 aug, XD 2 aug, settlement 4 aug. Who gets the dividend?

satayxp

Banned
Reaction score

Eg Buy order filled on 1 aug, XD 2 aug, settlement 4 aug. Who gets the dividend?

as long as u bought before XD u get the dividend

memoriess

Reaction score
Sorry. I am new to investing. I have a question about how dividend works.

Just keep buying shares and store there? example like, you keep deposit money into the bank to earn interests?

deathman91

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry. I am new to investing. I have a question about how dividend works.

Just keep buying shares and store there? example like, you keep deposit money into the bank to earn interests?

You can think of it as interest earned but more formally;

Dividends are incentives that companies paid out from its net profit to shareholders.

You don't have to 'keep deposit' more money to earn the dividends. You just have to own the shares. Of course you buy more, you get paid more, same logic as more interests earned with more capital on your bank savings account.

Example you buy 200 of XYZ Company shares at $1. Cost = $1 X 200 = $200. They issued a dividend of $0.05 per share(DPS). You will get paid $0.05 X 200 shares = $10.

Dividend yield = Dividend per share/Share price = $0.05/$1 = 5%

Last edited:

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Got read what I wrote on first post? It would be very beneficial to you.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Is there chart for dividend announcement and payment?

thanks all.

What kind of chart?

dividends.sg does shows dividends amount and yield
sgx shows amount only.

memoriess

Reaction score
Bro deathman91, if the company is not making a profit means our dividend is gone too?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.