ViewQwest Fiber Broadband Official Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackycar

Master Member
Reaction score
Is there an issue with Hulu?

When I login to Hulu on my Appletv for the past 1 week. Keep getting "Hulu Is unavailable" message. But no issue with Netflix.

jupiter12

Reaction score
I think Viewquest has blew the chance again to make this a really solid box.

Once again it comes with a 8GB internal storage and 100MB Lan.
Personal experience is that it should at least come with 16GB internal storage.
The price you are charging for the box should at least give us 16GB mah.

For the price, you can easily get another much better box out there.

Will this new box be given to new subscriber if they sign up during comex?
Is this box come rooted?
Any warranty for the box?

Suggestion:
VQ might want to offer annual plan for its Freedom DNS at much lower annual fee. Like that can fight with those much better DNS service that is much cheaper and you get customer to commit to your Freedom DNS services.
Win Win situation for users and VQ.

jackycar

Master Member
Reaction score
Is there an issue with Hulu?

When I login to Hulu on my Appletv for the past 1 week. Keep getting "Hulu Is unavailable" message. But no issue with Netflix.

Just tested again. It works on VQTV but not Appletv. Appletv shows Hulu not available on all the Appletv sets in my house.

Anyone else with Appletv facing this issue?

EDIT: excellent VQ noc as usual got back on email less than 30 mins. They said I have to configure the DNS on the Appletv manually. It works now.

Previously it worked on auto dns on my Appletv with no hitch for nearly the past two years.. Now we have to set the DNS manually. Weird?

Last edited:

JeNoVa-IcHiGo

Reaction score
Just tested again. It works on VQTV but not Appletv. Appletv shows Hulu not available on all the Appletv sets in my house.

Anyone else with Appletv facing this issue?

EDIT: excellent VQ noc as usual got back on email less than 30 mins. They said I have to configure the DNS on the Appletv manually. It works now.

Previously it worked on auto dns on my Appletv with no hitch for nearly the past two years.. Now we have to set the DNS manually. Weird?

Will get this escalated and checked out. But might be possible Apple/Hulu implementing funny stuff like Roku kind. shall get back to you once i get a reply.

crewcutboy

Reaction score
Will get this escalated and checked out. But might be possible Apple/Hulu implementing funny stuff like Roku kind. shall get back to you once i get a reply.

I'm not a Freedom VPN subscriber. I use a separate VPN service and I'm getting this error occasionally too. Usually fixes itself after I reboot the Apple TV. It's possible Apple / Hulu are cracking down on VPN users given Apple's rumoured introduction of a new AppleTV box next month.

crewcutboy

Reaction score
24v45sl.jpg

Wow, page 3 news in today's ST! Congrats for the coverage VQ!

The worry is that VQ has now put itself in the spotlight and will certainly come under target from competitors. You can be sure the big 3 telcos will start submitting their views to the regulators on why this should be illegal. Even Netflix itself might complain because it'd affect their ability to launch a proper service here.

Let's hope VQ's move will not result in an overall review on the use of VPN to overcome geolocation restrictions. There are very strong lobby groups with an interest in this, especially in the US!

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
24v45sl.jpg

Wow, page 3 news in today's ST! Congrats for the coverage VQ!

The worry is that VQ has now put itself in the spotlight and will certainly come under target from competitors. You can be sure the big 3 telcos will start submitting their views to the regulators on why this should be illegal. Even Netflix itself might complain because it'd affect their ability to launch a proper service here.

Let's hope VQ's move will not result in an overall review on the use of VPN to overcome geolocation restrictions. There are very strong lobby groups with an interest in this, especially in the US!

I don't think Netflix will be bothered by this so long it is not offered free to consumers buying this box.. its still chargeable monthly for the subscription..

If Netflix is concerned, apple tv won't be surviving until now I guess..

ralliart12

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A simple non-gui way to perform speedtest is to actually perform iperf/jperf, otherwise just direct downloading from local CDNs typically might show full speeds as well....

But if I wish to use iperf against those server, e.g. the one http://speedtest10.vqbn.com/ is hosted on, don't that server need to have iperf installed as well? & don't I need some way to issue command to designate that server as "the iperf server"?

...Hopefuilly that explains or at least clear up some air ;):s12::s12:

Btw, just curious, I'm unsure if this is related to the outdated firmware of my Zhone ONT or not, but is it true that when the Zhone ONT is in bridge mode, the maximum no. of unique MAC address it can relay to VQ's side is 2; hence if I plug in a third machine (with a third unique MAC address), it(VQ's) will stop issuing IP address? How does all this work anyway?

nivlac9

Reaction score
Nvidia shield can replace the VQTV? Can the vqtv allow subs to watch Barclay premier league, f1? :s11:

JeNoVa-IcHiGo

Reaction score
But if I wish to use iperf against those server, e.g. the one http://speedtest10.vqbn.com/ is hosted on, don't that server need to have iperf installed as well? & don't I need some way to issue command to designate that server as "the iperf server"?

Btw, just curious, I'm unsure if this is related to the outdated firmware of my Zhone ONT or not, but is it true that when the Zhone ONT is in bridge mode, the maximum no. of unique MAC address it can relay to VQ's side is 2; hence if I plug in a third machine (with a third unique MAC address), it(VQ's) will stop issuing IP address? How does all this work anyway?

Iperf server wise should be able to find some local ones with 1gbps upload and download. I'll look into that in abit for you...

The mac address wise, no matter what it'll be the same, as when the Zhone is operating as router mode, it still has a mac address, albeit its feeding its own mac address instead of the bridged device.

valenrina

Reaction score
I think Viewquest has blew the chance again to make this a really solid box.

Once again it comes with a 8GB internal storage and 100MB Lan.
Personal experience is that it should at least come with 16GB internal storage.
The price you are charging for the box should at least give us 16GB mah.

For the price, you can easily get another much better box out there.

Will this new box be given to new subscriber if they sign up during comex?
Is this box come rooted?
Any warranty for the box?

Suggestion:
VQ might want to offer annual plan for its Freedom DNS at much lower annual fee. Like that can fight with those much better DNS service that is much cheaper and you get customer to commit to your Freedom DNS services.
Win Win situation for users and VQ.

Good news is they are giving the new VQTV 4k for new subscribers. Best is to go check out their booth during COMEX.

celong27

Reaction score
Good news is they are giving the new VQTV 4k for new subscribers. Best is to go check out their booth during COMEX.

I just sign up for the services 2 days ago without knowing they are introducing the new 4k tv :s22:

Will the existing sub eventually be upgraded to the new 4k tv?

I am getting 3 months while the new sub are getting one year?

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just sign up for the services 2 days ago without knowing they are introducing the new 4k tv :s22:

Will the existing sub eventually be upgraded to the new 4k tv?

I am getting 3 months while the new sub are getting one year?

send in an email to the sales team..they might move u over to the new package :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.