The Hair Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
True, as prestyle it is quite good. But I guess most of us were expecting stronger hold since it was advertised as Firm and pliable hold that lasts all day.

I have learned from using so many hair products which were advertised as having strong hold by angmohs usually cannot apply to coarse asian hair, at least not for me. Angmoh's hair and weather are just too different from us which make their hair to be softer and easier to style.

To be fair I was half expecting the holding power not to be as strong as expected when I ordered. I guess I has been spoilt by the holding power or GD and SF for a while now:s13:

Once again, don't take my review and experience as a negative review as I also found plenty of pros from this products.

If you know your hair products and know how to mix them, you will find this balm to be great. It gives a very good and healthy texture. And it is also healthy, how often you find hair styling products that actually treats your hair as well?

For my daily use, I personally use Sidekick first, then use the balm and finished with a bit of spray. Good for a day except on windy day. You still can use your hand to fix your hair day as it remains pliable.

If you're using mm, ditch the hair spray.
It's not going to help instead, making it worse.
The balm itself is strong on its Own
Firm and pliable = true to its product.
100ml for $40 aud is pretty reasonable. Just that shipping ex.

zhane

Master Member
Reaction score
Why sianz?

I assume you were expecting good holding power?:(

Yea... Expecting good hold power. The YouTube videos all show until v gd sia.

If use as pre styling got use? Not mafan meh? Need to put a lot things

cherryboom

Master Member
Reaction score
True, as prestyle it is quite good. But I guess most of us were expecting stronger hold since it was advertised as Firm and pliable hold that lasts all day.

I have learned from using so many hair products which were advertised as having strong hold by angmohs usually cannot apply to coarse asian hair, at least not for me. Angmoh's hair and weather are just too different from us which make their hair to be softer and easier to style.

To be fair I was half expecting the holding power not to be as strong as expected when I ordered. I guess I has been spoilt by the holding power or GD and SF for a while now:s13:

Once again, don't take my review and experience as a negative review as I also found plenty of pros from this products.

If you know your hair products and know how to mix them, you will find this balm to be great. It gives a very good and healthy texture. And it is also healthy, how often you find hair styling products that actually treats your hair as well?

For my daily use, I personally use Sidekick first, then use the balm and finished with a bit of spray. Good for a day except on windy day. You still can use your hand to fix your hair day as it remains pliable.

hmmmm maybe it does not work for you but for me this has to be by far the best hair wax i ever use to date. well at 1st i was also skeptical about it holding capability as no product i have use does not need a hair spray to finish it. then i try it i threw out the rest.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just to share where is my MM. so others who order around the same day can view it.

Capture_zpsl3jxbwdm.jpg

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

lol. you ah......

got use sea salt spray and wax. now ask you use one wax, wanna make so much noise. lolol :s13:

iV3RsOn

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

We were saying using the balm as pre styling and styling. Just one product which is the balm only.

Take note that during pre styling, dun use high heat

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yours still in Sydney??? and bro, you might want to cover your postal code uh.

lol. that one my office.
everyone knows about it when they do self collection. i am good! thank you for the reminder.

i restock more MM balm if those who might be interested.
i very pai seh sia. haven't get to deliver to those who ordered from me.
If you're reading this, i am sorry. I called DHL almost every 2 days to check status. Damn annoying. All they say is once reach SG, it will update. :(

MM this time use the DHL is cheapo one
DHL -> Singpost = chui.

edit: just called. they say take 14 Business day. from 21st Aug. jialat sia

Last edited:

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
lol. that one my office.
everyone knows about it when they do self collection. i am good! thank you for the reminder.

i restock more MM balm if those who might be interested.
i very pai seh sia. haven't get to deliver to those who ordered from me.
If you're reading this, i am sorry. I called DHL almost every 2 days to check status. Damn annoying. All they say is once reach SG, it will update. :(

MM this time use the DHL is cheapo one
DHL -> Singpost = chui.

edit: just called. they say take 14 Business day. from 21st Aug. jialat sia
singpost = chui

dj_flame

Reaction score
A quick review of the Baxter Clay Pomade.

Overall, an excellent product. This is what Sliverfox promises to be, without the insane stickiness which was my main gripe with Sliverfox.

It has the consistency of thick clay. Compared to Dynamite Clay, Baxter's is definitely thicker, and less dry. Because it's so thick, you may end up scooping up more than needed, as you try to dig out an appropriate amount.

Pros:
- Very good hold in our weather. If you are looking for a product to glue hair into submission, I suggest you invest in actual industrial glue. Otherwise, the hold is strong, yet hair remains touchable and pliable.
- A very subtle shine. This makes my hair look healthy and well conditioned.
- Easy to apply, once you emulsify into your palms, and easy to wash out.

Cons
- It is a bit difficult to emulsify as its so thick, but just put a bit more effort into rubbing your palms together.
- It is also tricky to get the amount right. The last time I used Baxter's, I used too much, which caused my hair to flop down since it is a thick, heavy product. You need at least 1-3 uses before you nail down the correct amount...i'm now using less Baxter Clay, and blowdrying my finished hair on cold air to add a bit of extra hold.

Overall, a very good everyday product. Not advised for use with a comb, it suits finger combed styles way better.
5th day using the Baxter's Clay. Today was the best day so far, finally found the right amount coupled with the right amount of blowdrying and pre-styling.

My hair has been soft since 7am (5 hours) and my natural waves are showing through and bouncing about in the wind (damn sex).

This is my top recommendation for now if you want to achieve a natural, texturized slickback/pomp with very low shine that is re-touchable and can move naturally.

You will have a learning curve of how much is needed to apply depending on hair length and thickness though.

Also, it cannot be a pre-styler since its so thick.

dj_flame

Reaction score

We were saying using the balm as pre styling and styling. Just one product which is the balm only.

Take note that during pre styling, dun use high heat
Like what andrewsdoeshair said, good hair doesn't come from a jar, it comes from knowing how to pre style and blow dry, as well as knowing what works for your hair type.

Morris Motley Treatment Balm is definitely not meant to "glue hair into submission" as Rob puts it. If you want that, Suavecito Firme would be a better bet.

Note that the YouTube all have Rob using the Balm as both a pre styler and a finishing product. Also, the model is Caucasian = different sort of hair. Can't really expect the same results on an Asian, right?

Last edited:

dj_flame

Reaction score
Just an update of the Baxter's Clay Pomade.

It has been a day in, I finally got the amount right. Right now my loose textured slick back pomp hybrid has lost a fair bit of volume, but the hold is still there, the hair is still touchable and best of all the hair still retains the soft satin shine from the morning (definitely a feature of having petroleum as the main ingredient).

The lost of volume isn't all that bad, my hair basically looks like the below - it had more of a quiff in the front in the morning - now it's less quiff and more slickback:
10665612_374162616106783_988327938_n.jpg

In all, as mentioned, if you want that matte textured slickback with that sexy touchable hair that last for hours, please use this. For sure I prefer this to sliver fox or gold digger, and this is coming from one who thought sliver fox was the bomb.

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm.. Any comments on the Osis 3 then?

Schwarzkopf OSIS Session Finish (3) is more of an extreme control hairspray. Like mentioned many times throughout this thread, the dispensed liquid particles is hard to evaporate and as such, it tends to make the hair "wet", crispy and pretty much freezed. You can see this as "unnatural". At some times, you might feel that its heavy; making your hair feel heavy.

A way to counter is to use lesser of it and at a further distance. Rule of thumb is to use it approximately 30cm which is an armlength away. Even after you spray, you can go ahead to adjust and style accordingly. Sometimes, i do spray onto my palms and give it a little scrunch to give it a little more volume.

In conclusion, OSIS 3 is pretty much a decent product but there could be better replacements out there with more affordable prices. If you like to go easy on your hair yet wanting the strong hold, you should consider others. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.