Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

chomechome

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise! Its the same leh.. 1 year installation warranty, 1 year indoor parts warranty and 5 years outdoor parts warranty.

I got mine 5 years installation and 5 years spare parts.

compressor standard 5 years warranty.

mnb

Reaction score
Currently on a 10 years+ single split Samsung air con and facing water leakage problem, intend to switch to ME.

Can someone suggest what is the required BTU for a bedroom of 180 square feet?

The air conditioner will be used during sleep mostly, ~ 8 hours a day. Should I get an inverter or non-inverter?

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
Currently on a 10 years+ single split Samsung air con and facing water leakage problem, intend to switch to ME.

Can someone suggest what is the required BTU for a bedroom of 180 square feet?

The air conditioner will be used during sleep mostly, ~ 8 hours a day. Should I get an inverter or non-inverter?

9k will be sufficient, if 13k more faster reaching temp of preset only, for ME Starmex 8.5k BTU can reach the same amount just slower a bit only, once is cold down you might use comforter as well :D

ME Starmex 8.5K comes with 4 ticks as least.

Nowadays in the markets for inverter only.

snipes14

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, first time aircon buyer here needs tons of advice :(

Basically I grew up without aircon, and been suffering for the past 20 years because of this. Now that I'm working and can afford it I wanna get aircon.

So recently my father's friend who's a contractor came down to rekkie the place, and to my dismay said that due to the layout of my place they can't do a split unit.

I have drawn the following bad drawing to illustrate this:

Note160815_16%281%29.jpg

Basically they said due to the wardrobe being in the way, they can't pull the piping through to my room from the compressor.

So my question is, is he correct that it's impossible to do a split unit in my case? He recommended a Casement/Window unit instead. I'm ok with that, except that I'm concerned about the power efficiency. I have read that the power efficiency for these isn't as good as those normal inverter aircons, is that true as well? If so, how much worse is it?

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
Hi, first time aircon buyer here needs tons of advice :(

Basically I grew up without aircon, and been suffering for the past 20 years because of this. Now that I'm working and can afford it I wanna get aircon.

So recently my father's friend who's a contractor came down to rekkie the place, and to my dismay said that due to the layout of my place they can't do a split unit.

I have drawn the following bad drawing to illustrate this:

Note160815_16%281%29.jpg

Basically they said due to the wardrobe being in the way, they can't pull the piping through to my room from the compressor.

So my question is, is he correct that it's impossible to do a split unit in my case? He recommended a Casement/Window unit instead. I'm ok with that, except that I'm concerned about the power efficiency. I have read that the power efficiency for these isn't as good as those normal inverter aircons, is that true as well? If so, how much worse is it?

Is possible but more work. I think the person is not willing to do it because they means they will have to drill through your wardrobe.

snipes14

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is possible but more work. I think the person is not willing to do it because they means they will have to drill through your wardrobe.

Thanks, I suspected that as well. But it's not worth it getting a casement/window unit right? For the same BTUs, they draw 3 times the power use of inverter aircons :(

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, I suspected that as well. But it's not worth it getting a casement/window unit right? For the same BTUs, they draw 3 times the power use of inverter aircons :(

I have history with casement aircon... Power sucker with limited coolness.

My history with casement aircon was quite long back ~ perhaps the current 1 could do better...

chomechome

Reaction score
Wah, everything 5?

Which company, model and price? Sic pls. Thanks!

I bought at GainCity Mitsubishi StarMex Sys 3, 9K BTU x 3 couple weeks ago where it comes with 5 years installation and spare parts warranty. Installation warranty covers water and gas leakage, and spare part capped at max amount SGD 1.8k if you top up SGD 99 then you get unlimited amount.

I also top up to upgrade to Amarflex half inch and SWG 22 copper. Total i paid around 3.4k.

Slightly higher than other shops but you get warranty for 5 years.

After installation i just knew that if you submit the feedback form via their website you will get 3 years spare parts warranty automatically.

Hope this helps.

terumo

Reaction score
To mnb,

9k/12k btu will be sufficient.
Single system now only have inverter models.

To simplelifez,

Best to replace your pipings at the same time too.

GameboyX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
does anyone here who have casement aircon and is working decently enough for you to recommend?

CCCustom

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, new to this kinda stuff ...

Anyways, I'm collecting the keys to my BTO tomorrow, and although we've yet to speak to any contractors / IDs, we're pretty much settled on Mitsubishi Electric for airconditioning.

Ours is a 4 room flat, and we're still deciding whether to go with System 3 (bedrooms only) or System 4 (bedrooms + hall). How practical or impractical is it to go for the System 4? Also, I recall seeing that System 3 is 4-ticks while the System 4 is 3-ticks ... anyone knows why this is so?

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
coolness = electricity consumption....
more = more $$$
cause cool air developed when compressor start working... just let us know when yr next PUB bill $$$ cost.... would like to know more....

Ok note, have to see my next bill :D
If only increase for $15-25 average then just foeget it, cause the cooling very satisfied

Reaction score

Anyways, I'm collecting the keys to my BTO tomorrow, and although we've yet to speak to any contractors / IDs, we're pretty much settled on Mitsubishi Electric for airconditioning.

Ours is a 4 room flat, and we're still deciding whether to go with System 3 (bedrooms only) or System 4 (bedrooms + hall). How practical or impractical is it to go for the System 4? Also, I recall seeing that System 3 is 4-ticks while the System 4 is 3-ticks ... anyone knows why this is so?

Its not about it being practical or not, its whether u need it or not. U must think carefully lor.. If u dont need aircon in ur hall now and in the future, get a system 3. Don't install just for the sake of installing then never use, price difference quite a lot. Our ME system 3 (btu 9k*3) is $2850 and system 4 (btu 24k+9k*3) is $3850. Price difference of $1k! But if u might need aircon in ur hall in the near future, then might as well get a system 4 and have it done once and for all cos it's cheaper to install a system 4 compared to system 3 + system 1 (usually about $600-$700 incl labour fee). Most people go for system 3 + system 1 only because they frequently need to switch on all 4 fancoils at the same time.

Now, both Mitsubishi Electric system 3 and 4 is 2-ticks already.

hOp3SoT

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just gt starmex sys 3 installed. would like to check if its normal if i set 2 units at 25 degree n fan 1 and 1 unit at 20 degree n fan 1. the 1 unit set at 20 degree is only at abt 24 degree +- after abt 1 hr? thx!

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
just gt starmex sys 3 installed. would like to check if its normal if i set 2 units at 25 degree n fan 1 and 1 unit at 20 degree n fan 1. the 1 unit set at 20 degree is only at abt 24 degree +- after abt 1 hr? thx!

That unit set on 20C would be tells the compressor kick in runs in full speed until you turn off.

The rest set in 25C just works as normal only.
Actually use high fan speed also will increase outdoor working speed to blow out in high speed and high power input as well.

codexboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My living unit broke down after 1.5yr, need a quote for Mitsubishi fancoil msy-ge24VA any reliable contractors with good pricing?

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
My living unit broke down after 1.5yr, need a quote for Mitsubishi fancoil msy-ge24VA any reliable contractors with good pricing?

You can find Ah Yi, he has done 6 units from the passed

Seldom used right for the unit?

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score

Hi, from the 3 ticks to 5 ticks has bigger gap, but In the markets still not out yet for multi split, recent 2 ticks is good enough, if your unit don't have open yard, so don't have issue for cold air leak out, at night for more on bedroom only, the electricity wouldn't cost you much.

Usually for those of new flat, should consider to go for system 4 at least, when in hot weather still can use for while, if after installed for sys 3, you may regret at that time, but also depending your budget as well :D

rooftop

Reaction score
I bought at GainCity Mitsubishi StarMex Sys 3, 9K BTU x 3 couple weeks ago where it comes with 5 years installation and spare parts warranty. Installation warranty covers water and gas leakage, and spare part capped at max amount SGD 1.8k if you top up SGD 99 then you get unlimited amount.

I also top up to upgrade to Amarflex half inch and SWG 22 copper. Total i paid around 3.4k.

Slightly higher than other shops but you get warranty for 5 years.

After installation i just knew that if you submit the feedback form via their website you will get 3 years spare parts warranty automatically.

Hope this helps.

Bro, can share your model with me? I am keen on getting 1 also. Wonder how big is your house?

I am getting a 4A resale flat. So looking around for a recommended model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.