EDMW Knife Collectors

worcer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
On this topic, can I ask for recommendations?

I have similar utility requirement.
I am going to visit a hilly village side in China. I want a fixed knife that I can abuse (cut up small branches/light vegetation, use for field cooking etc.

Some mentioned Morakniv, GSO, Sanrenmu etc.
At a price point of less than S$100 incl shipping, is there any good ones?

When traveling with knifes abroad, do I checked them in and that's it or there are some custom requirements that I need to comply?

Sent from Motorola Jazz using GAGT

The laws of items such as knives are vague in a lot of countries. Some of us has actually brought knives overseas but i advise against bringing good expensive knives.

sometimes u "lose" ur knives...

If u wan knives u can abuse, buy those in CPM 3V. 5 inches and fixed blade. These are survival knives. Most are rust prone, so must maintain them.

viking

Reaction score

I am going to visit a hilly village side in China. I want a fixed knife that I can abuse (cut up small branches/light vegetation, use for field cooking etc.

When traveling with knifes abroad, do I checked them in and that's it or there are some custom requirements that I need to comply?

Recommend Morakniv, like this one: http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/FT...panion-carbon-steel-blade-black-rubber-handle
Including shipment, well below S$100.
You will definitely have to pack it with your check-in luggage.

GroupHunt

Reaction score
Hi guys! Slightly off topic, but for a good reason - we are having a September EDC giveaway and would invite all of you to join - while there's no knives, some of you might be interested in other EDC gear worth over $100+, such as the Keysmart Organizer, Field Notes, Memobottle, and Natsu Slim Wallet.

To join, click here.
safe_image.php

While you're at it, we're looking for product recommendations to mass order over at GroupHunt. If you have any to recommend please let us know! Not sure about the ability to import knives though, but we'll look into it. We see that it's been a common topic in this thread..

Thank you for reading! :s8:

tyrant76

Reaction score
Hi,

super newbie to the edc world here, i've recently purchased my first spyderco edc folder and a sog pocket knife sharpener, i would like to diy a little leather strop to stick it on the sharpener (as seen on youtube) but i have no clue whereabouts in sg that sells raw leather pieces and polishing compound. could any expert here recommend places to buy? which leather material to use? as well as what type of compound is best for general up keeping??

Thank you very much.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Chopping/camp clearing knives do not make good kitchen knives (that includes camp cooking) - too heavy, too thick. If you forsee a need to bring a chopping/clearing blade, then bring another light, thin cooking knife (like those $10 victorinox parers or simple kitchen blade you can buy from Daiso/budget shops etc). Especially if there's a big group cooking - you want to bring a couple of those $2 knives :)

My 2cents =:p=:p=:p

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score

small branches - you can break them, no knife required. big branches, you'll smash/break them or borrow some villager's chopper - see if you can buy one off them.

mora or victorinox paring knife is really good for these trips. They're inexpensive and thin bladed. brightly coloured, nobody would think you're criminal, if stopped by customs. Get the stainless mora rather than carbon, it's just easier maintenance.

you can get 2 moras and some extra to buy a victorinox paring knife or a cheap fruit peeler from the pasar malam. A fruit peeler is really useful, especially the one that can julienne fruits or veggies (you can julienne potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, mangoes, etc etc for your camp dinners). all are lightweight too. The reason I say 2 moras is that you can always gift one away - they make great gifts to local hosts/guides.

have fun on your trip.

ps: I would leave the choppers behind on such trips.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,

super newbie to the edc world here, i've recently purchased my first spyderco edc folder and a sog pocket knife sharpener, i would like to diy a little leather strop to stick it on the sharpener (as seen on youtube) but i have no clue whereabouts in sg that sells raw leather pieces and polishing compound. could any expert here recommend places to buy? which leather material to use? as well as what type of compound is best for general up keeping??

Thank you very much.

depends on budget.

polishing compound - $2 at Daiso. Or better ones at the hardware shop at Aljunied/jalan besar - white, green compound. Or at razoredge. Or from aliexpress - diamond compound.

strop - your old belt (get to the inside - so split the belt). small pieces for sale at razoredge - I think it's $10 (nice size). They sometimes sell the leather strops mounted on tembusu wood for a bit more - $20?

you can glue the leather to $2 daiso wood pieces as well (buy one, saw in half and use wood glue). $10 for leather + $2 wood glue + $2 wood + $2 stropping compound.

I'm not good at DIY - I just buy the leather strop from razoredge - $10 =:p. I don't glue it on anything, I just place in on the countertop. I still have my lee valley green CrO2 compound from 15 years ago too :)

tyrant76

Reaction score
depends on budget.

polishing compound - $2 at Daiso. Or better ones at the hardware shop at Aljunied/jalan besar - white, green compound. Or at razoredge. Or from aliexpress - diamond compound.

strop - your old belt (get to the inside - so split the belt). small pieces for sale at razoredge - I think it's $10 (nice size). They sometimes sell the leather strops mounted on tembusu wood for a bit more - $20?

you can glue the leather to $2 daiso wood pieces as well (buy one, saw in half and use wood glue). $10 for leather + $2 wood glue + $2 wood + $2 stropping compound.

I'm not good at DIY - I just buy the leather strop from razoredge - $10 =:p. I don't glue it on anything, I just place in on the countertop. I still have my lee valley green CrO2 compound from 15 years ago too :)

Thank you vespaguy! :D

i've checked out razoredgesystems webby but did not see any leather strops neither are they selling leather pieces. Am i at the correct website? Nice suggestion on the belt idea thanks!

As for the white, green compound, can i say all hardware stores or blacksmiths will have besides aljunied/jln besar?

:)

viking

Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you very much.

You can search ebay or aliexpress for strops and sharpening compounds. For example:http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...chText=leather+strops+compound+for+sharpening

worcer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you both.
I am definitely looking for a working knife. Likely 5", full tang, straight edge and with a pommel.

I would agree with vespa brother on this.

The working knife you are looking for is a survival knife. Good for camping trips because of the weight u save on ur backpack.

But as vespa said, you would be better off buying a inexpensive one in china.

Those really good survival knives like the GSO 5.1 are God tier for emergency planners/ hobby like me. because u know they will hold out when u need them to last.

But i wouldnt bring my "dragon blade" overseas because scared losing them. I waitied 1 year for my GSO 5.1...

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Thank you vespaguy! :D

i've checked out razoredgesystems webby but did not see any leather strops neither are they selling leather pieces. Am i at the correct website? Nice suggestion on the belt idea thanks!

As for the white, green compound, can i say all hardware stores or blacksmiths will have besides aljunied/jln besar?

:)

yes, Viking has provided the online solution - much easier and cheaper, but you gotta wait like (sometimes) 30 days for stuff to arrive from China.

razorsharp, not razoredge - my bad. It's a local cutlery/cookware shop:

http://www.razorsharp.com.sg/

Lots of good deals there. Tell them Vespaguy from the 'internet forums' sent you =:p=:p=:p

anvil_den

Reaction score
Folders For Sale

Pre F1 Fund raiser sales.. OK actually more like I need to save up for retirement plans =:p

ZT 0801, Elmax --$210
Reate Horizon C, S35VN --$280
Fantoni C.U.T. (Sinkevich Design), S30 --$300
All in $SGD

Full details on each knife has been listed out here

Can use any my contacts listed in above link or pm here. Thanks :)

11850924_10153620602422173_967132284_n.jpg

12007022_10153620602402173_1765863500_n.jpg

tyrant76

Reaction score
yes, Viking has provided the online solution - much easier and cheaper, but you gotta wait like (sometimes) 30 days for stuff to arrive from China.

razorsharp, not razoredge - my bad. It's a local cutlery/cookware shop:

Lots of good deals there. Tell them Vespaguy from the 'internet forums' sent you =:p=:p=:p

Thanks vespaguy! no problem at all, i will check out razorsharp as it is pretty near and i will certainly quote u intro me :) :)

appreciate all the advises, thanks guys. :)

anvil_den

Reaction score
Thanks vespaguy! no problem at all, i will check out razorsharp as it is pretty near and i will certainly quote u intro me :) :)

Razorsharp has quite a bit of things they dont list on their website/ FB page.
One word about the leather pieces if u are gonna DIY your own strop... $20 a piece that's about half A4 size... Need to condition it as they just keep in the store room so its a bit dry and hard. It's also quite thick. They have ready made more expensive ones using horse hide or something iirc.

Kcusts

Master Member
Reaction score

Their boss is a very passionate man. You can learn a lot about knives from him.

why865

Reaction score
WTS : Benchmade 970 ( Emerson CQC 7 )

Benchmade 970 ( Emerson CQC 7 ) for sale

Condition : like new, never use

SGD$150

Sorry, post count too low to post pic, SMS @91893996 I will whatsapp the pic.

Thank you

Dr Hunt

Reaction score
I would agree with vespa brother on this.

Those really good survival knives like the GSO 5.1 are God tier for emergency planners/ hobby like me. because u know they will hold out when u need them to last.

But i wouldnt bring my "dragon blade" overseas because scared losing them. I waitied 1 year for my GSO 5.1...

Which steel is your GSO 5.1? Do you use it to chop or baton wood like most Northern users do?

I have the ESEE 6 on my list for a 6" knife, but 1095 carbon steel will need some maintenance. Looked at many other mass production knives, but didn't find one which is 6" rust resistant, flat grind, drop/spear point, full tang, consistent quality control, lifetime warranty. GSO looks like a good fit. CPM-20CV is said to be "a very low maintenance, all weather cutting tool".

tyrant76

Reaction score
Razorsharp has quite a bit of things they dont list on their website/ FB page.
One word about the leather pieces if u are gonna DIY your own strop... $20 a piece that's about half A4 size... Need to condition it as they just keep in the store room so its a bit dry and hard. It's also quite thick. They have ready made more expensive ones using horse hide or something iirc.

Oh i see, no wonder i did not find anything about leathers hahaha but thank you again for this additional info :)
i'm already planning to go there personally to ask about it and at the same time learn more about different compounds of different grits, diff leathers, honing etc. :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.