EDMW Knife Collectors

worcer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which steel is your GSO 5.1? Do you use it to chop or baton wood like most Northern users do?

I have the ESEE 6 on my list for a 6" knife, but 1095 carbon steel will need some maintenance. Looked at many other mass production knives, but didn't find one which is 6" rust resistant, flat grind, drop/spear point, full tang, consistent quality control, lifetime warranty. GSO looks like a good fit. CPM-20CV is said to be "a very low maintenance, all weather cutting tool".

Mine is a GSO 5.1 in 20CV. No i dun use it to baton yet.

The knife should be able to take batoning as survive knife has a video on them using a GSO 5.1 20CV batoning a brick.

Still, if u going to hard use it... get it in CPM 3V.

Esteee

Banned
Reaction score
WTS Benchmade HUNT series "Small Summit Lake"

Brand new in sealed box.

Premium S30V stainless steel with Dymondwood handles.

Please whatsapp 90103816 for pics.

$150 nett.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
For those guys looking for leather to make their own strops, you can try getting them from razorsharp (as anvil den and I had mentioned earlier). They have standard leather (cowhide) for $20, and the horseleather for $60 (or is it $50), as in the pic below:

image_zps4jsq3kde.jpeg

They have a great selection of chopping boards (good prices too) - from John Boos to tembusu ones to Japanese ho (magnolia) ones that really pamper your sharp edges. Not to mention great selection of Japanese kitchen knives - I was hoping to score the Takeda I'd seen earlier but some clever soul had already purchased that....dang.....ah well, a penny saved is a penny earned ;)

BTW, these 3 beautiful folders are still available for sale :

- ZT801 (USD210 via paypal) - NIB/LNIB with boxes paper everything
- ZT0392 (USD500 via paypal) - NIB/LNIB with boxes paper everything (serial number under #100)
- poboy enzo birk (USD300 via paypal) - used with love, you just slip it into your pocket and continue using this pocket razor

image_zpsncspd3ja.jpeg

image_zpssvwi1yob.jpeg

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Hey guys where is the cheapest shop to buy a CS Laredo Bowie? Is it better to buy online and ship from overseas? Any problems with customs?

no idea where is the cheapest. But knifecenter has them:

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CS...xed-105-vg-1-san-mai-iii-blade-micarta-handle

Specifications
Item Number: 16CCB
Name: Laredo Bowie San Mai III
Blade Length: 10.5"
Overall Length:15.69"
Steel: VG-1 San Mai III
Weight: 16.3 oz.
Blade Thickness: 0.31"
Handle: 5.19" Long Polished Black Linen Micarta
Sheath: Black Leather Sheath
Made in Japan

If the clip is sharpened, then it may not clear customs as that may be considered double edged. So be forewarned.

mmmmaded

Reaction score
WTS: NIB Spyderco Ambitious

m8jvnr.jpg

Never carried, new. Comes with box. $30

Self collect @ my convenience. SMS/Whatsapp @ nine-66one-993one

Thanks for reading.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
VG1 Sanmai is a 'stainless' and said to be close to 440C. Slightly better than 440B/AUS8, does not quite hold its edge like VG10 but is tough.

O1 is a oilhardening tool steel. It will rust easily when left wet and used in field, but is tough. It's easy to sharpen and will take a really sharp edge. Edgeholding is like VG10. I like it because it's easy to sharpen and strop but it does rust pretty easily - you have maintain it.

If you're gonna just put it up on the shelf and check on it regularly (and oil it), O1 looks like a better valued buy.

If you're gonna use it out camping but will baby it and oil it, O1 still looks like a better valued buy.

If you want less maintenance than a stainless would be a good option.

Steel performance is highly dependent on the heat treat. Good heat treat can make a lesser steel perform well. Cutting performance is dependent on edge geometry, user skill, and steel performance.

Looks like you know prices already and can make an informed choice.

USD has increased in the past 6 months, some local sellers who are still selling at old prices are worth looking at.

If you're looking to spend USD400 on a cold steel, I would ask you to consider looking at handforged customs. I know it looks like a plug but look at the sanmai Claudio Sobral/CAS recurved hunter I listed for sale for eg. It costs a bit more but you get a handmade, handforged knife that will give you more 'soul' than a factory made cold steel - can't say anything about performance though - I do like the performance of cold steel (well at least when I first started out) especially due to watching those tacky but entertaining videos :s13:

Last edited:

why865

Reaction score
For Sale : Spyderco

(1) Spyderco Police - SGD 50
Condition : Use
Handle : Aluminium
Blade : Plain, G2 Stainless
Belt Clip right hand, non reversible

(2) Spyderco Endura - SGD 50
Condition : use
Handle : Black
Blade : Plain, AUS-8

(3) Spyderco Endura - SGD 70
Condition : like new, not used
Handle : Black
Blade : Serr, black, AUS-8A

Please contact @91893996, will send pic on request.

ZETMAN

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, any recommendation for freight forwarder for USA? I'm planning to buy some swords and knives from there and ship to Singapore. Currently comgateway and daigou are both out. So looking for recommendation for freight forwarder. I will apply the relevant permit from SPF just need help with shipping. Hence any recommendation for this will be greatly appreciated.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, any recommendation for freight forwarder for USA? I'm planning to buy some swords and knives from there and ship to Singapore. Currently comgateway and daigou are both out. So looking for recommendation for freight forwarder. I will apply the relevant permit from SPF just need help with shipping. Hence any recommendation for this will be greatly appreciated.

Most will not ship - IATA rules. USPS and FedEx will IIRC but you will need to clear the items at ICA followed by SPF. Are they live blades? if they are, you probably want to handle the customs/police clearance yourself so the items don't get damaged as you'll definitely need to go to Cantonment to get them cleared - there are no assurances on whether they'll get through only previous cases. I'm talking about swords, not knives. For knives (provided that they are prohibited/restricted), Cantonment may not be necessary.

ZETMAN

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most will not ship - IATA rules. USPS and FedEx will IIRC but you will need to clear the items at ICA followed by SPF. Are they live blades? if they are, you probably want to handle the customs/police clearance yourself so the items don't get damaged as you'll definitely need to go to Cantonment to get them cleared - there are no assurances on whether they'll get through only previous cases. I'm talking about swords, not knives. For knives (provided that they are prohibited/restricted), Cantonment may not be necessary.
Thanks Mate. Will check with the customer service from USPS. FedEx says no to shipping swords

Had wrote in to SPF to query about this and they will allow the import of the item provided application for the permit is done.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys. Great advice.
But seeing so many nice knives in the thread, I may just buy one Schrade SCHF3N just because I like the looks of it. Hopefully the poison does not run too deep.

that might just be a catalyst for better steel and blades. That Shrade looks like the CRK green beret homage ;)

if you want a free knife - get a metal detector and go to MacRitchie (there's a CRK professional soldier somewhere within a 2km radius of Terentang Trail near the Ranger Hut and there is a Spyderco Manix 2 S110V along Brickland - (ex) Bulim Cemetary (possibly in the drain under the PIE). Or so I heard :D

Last edited:

ZETMAN

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

anvil_den

Reaction score
that might just be a catalyst for better steel and blades. That Shrade looks like the CRK green beret homage ;)

if you want a free knife - get a metal detector and go to MacRitchie (there's a CRK professional soldier someone within a 2km radius of Terentang Trail near the Ranger Hut and there is a Spyderco Manix 2 S110V along Brickland - (ex) Bulim Cemetary (possibly in the drain under the PIE). Or so I heard :D

Is there another Spydie somewhere under a rubble pile of an old cinema :s8:

anvil_den

Reaction score
Little pocket dump pic from last week.

11934685_171696013165541_907451996_n.jpg

This little guy slice, slice and slice putting all my other blades to shame.
Now would like to see what the bigger 3.75" VG-10 C143GP version is like... anyone has one?

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
some are allowed some aren't. also depends on the officer. if it's really long you'll go down to Cantonment. try your luck or ask SPF directly before bringing it in. Give them the pic and specs etc.

I like some of the Filipino blades sold by TFW. the only thing I don't like is:

- the horrible belt clip. That totally ruins the traditional look IMO. I'm sure it can be removed. Long blades are mostly just held by the sash.
- the rattan bindings look filmsy - they need to be woven/braided. I'm speaking from firsthand experience on rattan bindings - if they're just wrapped without being woven/braided, they will come loose over time due to expansion and friction.

Do get it - In my opinion, the 13" knife should be ok, it looks like a parang and parangs are permissible. It is probably a parang-type blade. I would be keen to test one should you get it in and want to show it.

Last edited:

Stevejobless

Reaction score
some are allowed some aren't. also depends on the officer. if it's really long you'll go down to Cantonment. try your luck or ask SPF directly before bringing it in. Give them the pic and specs etc.

I like some of the Filipino blades sold by TFW. the only thing I don't like is:

- the horrible belt clip. That totally ruins the traditional look IMO. I'm sure it can be removed. Long blades are mostly just held by the sash.
- the rattan bindings look filmsy - they need to be woven/braided. I'm speaking from firsthand experience on rattan bindings - if they're just wrapped without being woven/braided, they will come loose over time due to expansion and friction.

Do get it - In my opinion, the 13" knife should be ok, it looks like a parang and parangs are permissible. It is probably a parang-type blade. I would be keen to test one should you get it in and want to show it.

Agree with the rattan bindings. They tend to come loose with use. Will probably replace them with hemp or sinew if I eventually decide to get the blade.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Agree with the rattan bindings. They tend to come loose with use. Will probably replace them with hemp or sinew if I eventually decide to get the blade.

do you know how to tie them? like on native sheaths (simpeh)? I need help with tieing some on my scabbard so I can thread a rope belt through (ala orang asli parang carry).

DBlitz

Reaction score
Anyone know of any knife rehandling services for kitchen knives? I found an old handaless knife at home and I am thinking of 'reviving' it.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.