EDMW Knife Collectors

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score
Anybody knows if this Schrade model is legal to import?

http://taylorbrandsllc.com/collecti...sh-button-lock-folding-knife-drop-point-blade

Advertising video:

I like the design and the short length (2.4") is just nice for everyday use, but the fact that it looks a lot like a switchblade / flick knife / auto is cause for concern.

Technically, it's not a flick knife or switchblade because pushing the button only disengages the lock, and the other hand is still needed to pivot the blade out of the handle. Which makes it look like this knife was specially designed to comply with stricter laws in other parts of the world where one-handed opening knives are not allowed. But of course, our men in blue will still have the last say.

Any thoughts?

I2vPlP2.jpg

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
appears like a button lock mechanism - allen elishewitz uses that on his custom folders. they seem to also include an additional 'lawks' type lock as well...

FriedPadThai

Reaction score
Hais.. just lost my 0566BW. grew very attached to the 1y/o knife. wondering what should I get as a replacement..

FriedPadThai

Reaction score
I got a couple of knives for sale =:p

What are your parameters/likes/dislikes?

Looking for a smaller, lighter hard use knife. Maybe 3 inches or less. Currently looking at the Spyderco Techno but cutleryshoppe only has the s30v one in stock at the moment. What do you have for sale!!

Last edited:

mamba2012

Reaction score
Looking for a smaller, lighter hard use knife. Maybe 3 inches or less. Currently looking at the Spyderco Techno but cutleryshoppe only has the s30v one in stock at the moment. What do you have for sale!!

Might I suggest the spyderco paramilitary 2 or a zt0801(if you don't mind carrying sth a little bigger)? Those are good knives

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score

Why not the Spyderco Dice? CutleryShoppe also has it at a good price and it is of a similar form factor to the Techno. It is still in CTS-XHP instead of S30V.

The only bad thing I have to say about it is that the CF pattern is fugly as hell, but YMMV.

FriedPadThai

Reaction score
Might I suggest the spyderco paramilitary 2 or a zt0801(if you don't mind carrying sth a little bigger)? Those are good knives

Honestly am very intrigued by the PM2, but the handle length seems off to me. Also, big blades seem to have a scare factor behind them and I don't like to have to keep explaining why i like knives to people who think they only can be used to harm others. I like the 801 too, but it'll get pretty heavy during work especially when i have my multi tool on the same side of my pants :eek::eek:

Funnily I'm really diggin both the G10 coated and the new LW coated Manix 2.

Anyone can comment on the BD1 steel?

Why not the Spyderco Dice? CutleryShoppe also has it at a good price and it is of a similar form factor to the Techno. It is still in CTS-XHP instead of S30V.

The only bad thing I have to say about it is that the CF pattern is fugly as hell, but YMMV.

Looks pretty cool and the Domino is drawing me in as well. I agree that the CF looks pretty ugly though.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Honestly am very intrigued by the PM2, but the handle length seems off to me. Also, big blades seem to have a scare factor behind them and I don't like to have to keep explaining why i like knives to people who think they only can be used to harm others. I like the 801 too, but it'll get pretty heavy during work especially when i have my multi tool on the same side of my pants :eek::eek:

Looks pretty cool and the Domino is drawing me in as well. I agree that the CF looks pretty ugly though.

801 is heavy. but very ergonomic and solid. People will get scared :) but it's well made, ti handles, bearing assisted flipper and oh..ELMAX steel. The only downside is the black clip (Todd Rexford had to swallow that). For USD200, it can't be beat.

Manix LW - flat handles and thin. yay or nay depending on what you like. sometimes a narrower but fatter handle works better. Manix has a big flat wide blade - scarier IMO than 801. It looks like the kitchen utility knife - and most criminals like kitchen blades. I love it for food prep.

BD-1 - no experience, but it's a basic 440C type steel.

PM2 - compression lock. yes, depending on the width of your palm, it may have a longish handle (I personally preferred the handle length of PM1 but most people will say that the PM2 is a huge improvement over PM1). I think it's more ergonomic than Manix.

Try looking for a FFG Delica in VG10. That'll work perfect as your 3" EDC blade.

Stevejobless

Reaction score
Cts bd1 is one grade above Aus8. It has higher carbon content. More edge retention and more corrosion resistance. Equivalent to Aus10 or 440C.

FriedPadThai

Reaction score
801 is heavy. but very ergonomic and solid. People will get scared :) but it's well made, ti handles, bearing assisted flipper and oh..ELMAX steel. The only downside is the black clip (Todd Rexford had to swallow that). For USD200, it can't be beat.

Manix LW - flat handles and thin. yay or nay depending on what you like. sometimes a narrower but fatter handle works better. Manix has a big flat wide blade - scarier IMO than 801. It looks like the kitchen utility knife - and most criminals like kitchen blades. I love it for food prep.

BD-1 - no experience, but it's a basic 440C type steel.

PM2 - compression lock. yes, depending on the width of your palm, it may have a longish handle (I personally preferred the handle length of PM1 but most people will say that the PM2 is a huge improvement over PM1). I think it's more ergonomic than Manix.

Try looking for a FFG Delica in VG10. That'll work perfect as your 3" EDC blade.

When i just started looking at knives, the 801 was one of the ones that really caught my eye, but as i started to edc, i realized the weight would be a little over the top. Agree on elmax, Absolutely loved it on my 0566.

I'll stay off the PM2 for the time being, probably get one in the near future. Hopefully when the USD isnt so strong. Don't really like the delica as it's a lockback. Played with my dad's old spyderco ( dont know the model ) and i didnt like the lockback at all.

Anyways, I re-ordered an 0566BW. Realized it's really what i'm looking for, albeit still a little big, and jeff was nice enough to give me a good deal. Will probably get the manix soon as a gift for someone

Cts bd1 is one grade above Aus8. It has higher carbon content. More edge retention and more corrosion resistance. Equivalent to Aus10 or 440C.

Cool. Thanks for the explanation!

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score
I'll stay off the PM2 for the time being, probably get one in the near future. Hopefully when the USD isnt so strong.

The new S110V is already slowly coming in stock at several dealers, by the end of the year should have steady stock. Might be up your alley if you like crazy steels like that.

As for the near future, you might want to wait for the PM3 to come out. Not sure when that'll be, but so far from the details that have been floating around, it is a slightly smaller version of the PM2 with a 3 inch blade.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
I'd avoid the s90 and s110 unless you don't mind microchipping. Unless they lower the rc.

anvil_den

Reaction score

Both are pretty functional.. PM2 vs 801
I have a love hate affair with Spydie by now.. Most just look like cheap toy with their 2D-ish effect but many are really nice to when it comes to using instead of potato-couching to open and close a knife while doing nothing practical.

The PM2 never grew on me until I held one in my hand.. (I like bigger knives) and its a nice glove fit. Don't own one but if some comes along at reasonable price I probably will snag it as a user.

801 has more of a "knife" look. But seriously need a better looking after market clip to dress it up imo. the blade is a little bit thick for me though it has a relatively wide factory edge to compensate but for certain cutting action u are gonna find the "shoulder" of the edge gets in the way .. so it depends on your uses and application. Yea its a little meaty in the pocket... ok when holding and using though- the weight + thick blade gives a very stable firm feel to it...

Dont have experience with BD-1.. ;)

Last edited:

TheBUSTED

Reaction score
The Gratch is HERE!

Hi all, got my Gratch last night and was really excited to get it in hand.

After playing around with it for a day, here are some initial impressions:

1) Fit and finish is excellent. On par with reate or even better
2) Action: Smooth smooth action. The smoothness here is very different from what u find on a ZT560. Its more of a controlled smoothness as compared to free falling kind. Detent is pretty strong but i would say a Reate Horizon C has a more explosive detent. That said, best flipper i have.
3) Flipper tab favours a push button more than a light switch
4) Ergonomics are good using the handle or with the finger choil
5) ITS A REALLY BEAUTIFUL KNIFE. the CF is so vibrant on this one (wish i could post photos)
6) the blade was not razor sharp unfortunately.

Anyway that being said, to answer a question i posted earlier on whether its worth it? My verdict is:

No. Why? Because the increase in quality did not warrant such a leap in price at least in my opinion. I would have been contented with another Reate or ZT for half the price. I much rather spend on the 20% of knives that has qualities that make it 80% perfect.

But that is my own opinion. Well so i guess i will just be sticking to high end production knives rather than production knives at the mid tech price range. I do suppose the CKF is meant to have a mid tech quality (at least from my understanding)

Last edited:

FriedPadThai

Reaction score
The new S110V is already slowly coming in stock at several dealers, by the end of the year should have steady stock. Might be up your alley if you like crazy steels like that.

As for the near future, you might want to wait for the PM3 to come out. Not sure when that'll be, but so far from the details that have been floating around, it is a slightly smaller version of the PM2 with a 3 inch blade.

A smaller PM2 sounds fantastic TBH! Will keep a lookout for that!
I'd avoid the s90 and s110 unless you don't mind microchipping. Unless they lower the rc.

Sorry for the noob question but what is RC?? :s11:

Both are pretty functional.. PM2 vs 801
I have a love hate affair with Spydie by now.. Most just look like cheap toy with their 2D-ish effect but many are really nice to when it comes to using instead of potato-couching to open and close a knife while doing nothing practical.

The PM2 never grew on me until I held one in my hand.. (I like bigger knives) and its a nice glove fit. Don't own one but if some comes along at reasonable price I probably will snag it as a user.

801 has more of a "knife" look. But seriously need a better looking after market clip to dress it up imo. the blade is a little bit thick for me though it has a relatively wide factory edge to compensate but for certain cutting action u are gonna find the "shoulder" of the edge gets in the way .. so it depends on your uses and application. Yea its a little meaty in the pocket... ok when holding and using though- the weight + thick blade gives a very stable firm feel to it...

Dont have experience with BD-1.. ;)

Sounds like I should really go and have a feel for the PM2. Or maybe the PM3. Indeed the ZT0801's clip looks a little out of place but I just hate the spyderco 3 screw clips. I really dig the blackwash 0801, but then again I doubt I'd ever order one of their knives not in BW! :D

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the noob question but what is RC?? :s11:

RC, or HRC, is the Rockwell Hardness on the C scale.

These so-called "supersteels" tend to have a HRC in the 60s range. They'll chip because they're hard and hence brittle. Softer steels tend to "roll" over in use.

It is always a trade-off. Harder steels have superior edge retention but are harder to sharpen and even more so when they chip. Softer steels will "roll" over at the edge, making them easier to sharpen but they will have inferior edge retention.

FriedPadThai

Reaction score
RC, or HRC, is the Rockwell Hardness on the C scale.

These so-called "supersteels" tend to have a HRC in the 60s range. They'll chip because they're hard and hence brittle. Softer steels tend to "roll" over in use.

It is always a trade-off. Harder steels have superior edge retention but are harder to sharpen and even more so when they chip. Softer steels will "roll" over at the edge, making them easier to sharpen but they will have inferior edge retention.

OH yes yes I was thinking Something content and wondering what's the R standing for. Experienced this with my Leatherman Charge TTI. the blade chipped within the first week of use

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.