Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

Nature_call

Reaction score
hi guys, any recommendation for VPN that could access china for streaming sohu? i'm using astrill atm, no problem for netflix however on china servers for sohu its hella slow and crippling :(

thanks...

stiwipl

Reaction score
Although I moved to Dubai, I keep regularly checking excellent HWZ forum. UAE has also internet censorship in place, similarly to Singapore or maybe even stronger, as probably more websites are blocked.

I had some time to search for Astrill backup and below are my findings. Astrill is an absolute number one in my opinion, they seem to be performing very well regardless of the country of residence (maybe except China...) I am on 100/20 connection... Here the internet is expensive, so I do miss VQ's 300/300.

PureVPN - or PureCrap as you prefer. On their native OS X app there is no OpenVPN... I managed to get free trial by sending them an email.

WiTopia - I was attracted by Stealth 4D & 5D protocols on their Personal PRO plan. Upon subscribing I found out that these 4D & 5D protocols are essentially using TCP, which is much slower than UDP. By using OpenVPN the only fast servers that I have noticed were Germany (Frankfurt) and Netherlands. The speed was however inconsistent which means I was getting between 25-50Mbps DOWN / 10Mbps UP. Their NL server is hosted in the same data center as Astrill - Leaseweb, so I had good benchmarking tool to compare :) With Astrill I am getting 93/18. US servers were quite slow. Their technical guy was funny saying that even 20Mbit is plenty - I thought, tell it to the SG guys with 1Gbps connections :) Beside it is not enough for Netflix 4k streaming for instance. Refund was processed after initial troubleshooting with their technical department. They have 15% off via some Reddit links if you Google it. $US70 1 year for Personal Pro, I paid US$59 after discount.

LE-VPN - HK based, they give you Viscosity software which you can install on one Mac and one Windows at the same time. You have to import all configs you are interested in. Definitely far from being convenient. They run typical protocols, over typical ports, 0 extra efforts by having in house app and solutions. I may buy myself VPS & Viscosity and be my own VPN provider. The speeds were so so and the NL server (also hosted on Leaseweb) performance was inconsistent. There is 30% discount code if you Google it. They gave me a refund same day with no questions asked. US$60 for 1 year, I paid US$40 after 30% discount.

PIA - Not sure where the hype is coming from. Their support was trying hard but all I was getting is max 20-25Mbps on majority of their servers. I tried different ports, servers, settings, sent debug logs to PIA support and in the end cancelled and got a refund. Perhaps their OS X app is super bad (certainly from visual aspect) and Viscosity would perform better (this is what I heard) but I didn't have a chance to compare. For me if they are doing their own in house software, it should be polished and optimized well. Took 1 month trial but it is probably the cheapest from the one I tested US40 per year. Neowin has it for US$60 - 2 years.

12VPN - Hidden gem it seems and probably the most serious competitor to Astrill. They focus on China which is why they have lots of optimizations in place, together with fast servers. Their OS X app is simple but great. It miss some bells and whistles of Astrill app, such as selective routing, customs DNS, router applet etc. It does support StealthVPN as standard (no need to pay extra), it has SmartDNS solution included which you can use alone or together with VPN. They also have OpenWeb which is similar or exactly the same Astrill's OpenWeb but it works better it seems, as some videos that are not working for me on Astrill's OpenWeb are working on 12VPN. They have some extra hidden servers which you can enable via website account. There are multiple settings you can tweak. You can use multiple devices on the same server provided each connection is using different protocol (e.g. OpenVPN desktop, IPSEC iOS) or if using the same protocol (OpenVPN) then different severs (e.g 2x Mac, one US LA, 2nd US NY). The servers are fast, however SpeedTest behave quite strange on this VPN for some reason, which is why I was also testing by using downloading files from Leaseweb. I can download files with the speed of 10MB/s (80% of my connection) from UK, NL, US NY etc. using OpenVPN. Speeds on iOS were also very good (35Mbps). I contacted their support asking several questions and a comprehensive answer came few hours later from someone who seems to know what is doing. It's not cheap, US$99 for 1 year, more expensive than Astrill on paper but then on Astrill you have to pay extra for multiple devices & StealthVPN. They rarely have promos or coupon codes but they seem to have limited one week 30% offer by using GOLDENWEEK. I paid US$69 after discount which seems to be recurring. Also they have "refugee" policy, so in case if someone miss the discount code, you can write to them with a proof of having active VPN connection worth at least US$50 and they will give you 30% discount. US$69 seems to be a good deal for what they offer. They have 14 day money back guarantee, so it is worth to try. One thing: they do not allow torrenting on their servers but that's fine for me. I am in the trial period but it seems 12VPN will stay as the Astrill backup.

Previously I tried VyprVPN but didn't have good impressions. I was really looking forward to their Chameleon protocol but the speeds were 20Mbps max to selected servers, as others were slower. iOS app speeds are also 6-7x slower than Astrill / 12VPN.

AirVPN seems to be very good too. Their native OS X app "Eddie" is definitely not a state of art productivity app but it seems to get better and better. Their speeds were quite good, they have good forum and support, some good solutions like geo-location servers. The only problem with geo-location on their servers is that if you connect to say NL, you have no choice to get US Netflix for example. Definitely something to try and consider, especially that if you send them an email they will give you 3-day trial code.

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@stiwipl, Thanks for the detail rundown. Now i know which is best for china. But no torrenting :(

Although I moved to Dubai, I keep regularly checking excellent HWZ forum. UAE has also internet censorship in place, similarly to Singapore or maybe even stronger, as probably more websites are blocked.

I had some time to search for Astrill backup and below are my findings. Astrill is an absolute number one in my opinion, they seem to be performing very well regardless of the country of residence (maybe except China...) I am on 100/20 connection... Here the internet is expensive, so I do miss VQ's 300/300.

PureVPN - or PureCrap as you prefer. On their native OS X app there is no OpenVPN... I managed to get free trial by sending them an email.

WiTopia - I was attracted by Stealth 4D & 5D protocols on their Personal PRO plan. Upon subscribing I found out that these 4D & 5D protocols are essentially using TCP, which is much slower than UDP. By using OpenVPN the only fast servers that I have noticed were Germany (Frankfurt) and Netherlands. The speed was however inconsistent which means I was getting between 25-50Mbps DOWN / 10Mbps UP. Their NL server is hosted in the same data center as Astrill - Leaseweb, so I had good benchmarking tool to compare :) With Astrill I am getting 93/18. US servers were quite slow. Their technical guy was funny saying that even 20Mbit is plenty - I thought, tell it to the SG guys with 1Gbps connections :) Beside it is not enough for Netflix 4k streaming for instance. Refund was processed after initial troubleshooting with their technical department. They have 15% off via some Reddit links if you Google it. $US70 1 year for Personal Pro, I paid US$59 after discount.

LE-VPN - HK based, they give you Viscosity software which you can install on one Mac and one Windows at the same time. You have to import all configs you are interested in. Definitely far from being convenient. They run typical protocols, over typical ports, 0 extra efforts by having in house app and solutions. I may buy myself VPS & Viscosity and be my own VPN provider. The speeds were so so and the NL server (also hosted on Leaseweb) performance was inconsistent. There is 30% discount code if you Google it. They gave me a refund same day with no questions asked. US$60 for 1 year, I paid US$40 after 30% discount.

PIA - Not sure where the hype is coming from. Their support was trying hard but all I was getting is max 20-25Mbps on majority of their servers. I tried different ports, servers, settings, sent debug logs to PIA support and in the end cancelled and got a refund. Perhaps their OS X app is super bad (certainly from visual aspect) and Viscosity would perform better (this is what I heard) but I didn't have a chance to compare. For me if they are doing their own in house software, it should be polished and optimized well. Took 1 month trial but it is probably the cheapest from the one I tested US40 per year. Neowin has it for US$60 - 2 years.

12VPN - Hidden gem it seems and probably the most serious competitor to Astrill. They focus on China which is why they have lots of optimizations in place, together with fast servers. Their OS X app is simple but great. It miss some bells and whistles of Astrill app, such as selective routing, customs DNS, router applet etc. It does support StealthVPN as standard (no need to pay extra), it has SmartDNS solution included which you can use alone or together with VPN. They also have OpenWeb which is similar or exactly the same Astrill's OpenWeb but it works better it seems, as some videos that are not working for me on Astrill's OpenWeb are working on 12VPN. They have some extra hidden servers which you can enable via website account. There are multiple settings you can tweak. You can use multiple devices on the same server provided each connection is using different protocol (e.g. OpenVPN desktop, IPSEC iOS) or if using the same protocol (OpenVPN) then different severs (e.g 2x Mac, one US LA, 2nd US NY). The servers are fast, however SpeedTest behave quite strange on this VPN for some reason, which is why I was also testing by using downloading files from Leaseweb. I can download files with the speed of 10MB/s (80% of my connection) from UK, NL, US NY etc. using OpenVPN. Speeds on iOS were also very good (35Mbps). I contacted their support asking several questions and a comprehensive answer came few hours later from someone who seems to know what is doing. It's not cheap, US$99 for 1 year, more expensive than Astrill on paper but then on Astrill you have to pay extra for multiple devices & StealthVPN. They rarely have promos or coupon codes but they seem to have limited one week 30% offer by using GOLDENWEEK. I paid US$69 after discount which seems to be recurring. Also they have "refugee" policy, so in case if someone miss the discount code, you can write to them with a proof of having active VPN connection worth at least US$50 and they will give you 30% discount. US$69 seems to be a good deal for what they offer. They have 14 day money back guarantee, so it is worth to try. One thing: they do not allow torrenting on their servers but that's fine for me. I am in the trial period but it seems 12VPN will stay as the Astrill backup.

Previously I tried VyprVPN but didn't have good impressions. I was really looking forward to their Chameleon protocol but the speeds were 20Mbps max to selected servers, as others were slower. iOS app speeds are also 6-7x slower than Astrill / 12VPN.

AirVPN seems to be very good too. Their native OS X app "Eddie" is definitely not a state of art productivity app but it seems to get better and better. Their speeds were quite good, they have good forum and support, some good solutions like geo-location servers. The only problem with geo-location on their servers is that if you connect to say NL, you have no choice to get US Netflix for example. Definitely something to try and consider, especially that if you send them an email they will give you 3-day trial code.

Last edited:

negativzero

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the review. 12VPN does seem promising however they don't allow bittorrenting on their network. Also they log data so its a no go for me.

I'm using PIA and AirVPN now. No problems with either regarding speed or service. Also got a Astrill subscription, but the service is getting from bad to worse now :s13:

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the review. 12VPN does seem promising however they don't allow bittorrenting on their network. Also they log data so its a no go for me.

I'm using PIA and AirVPN now. No problems with either regarding speed or service. Also got a Astrill subscription, but the service is getting from bad to worse now :s13:

How is AirVPN for torrenting & China websites?

stiwipl

Reaction score

According to 12VPN:
"We record login and logout data and keep this for 30 days. We also record VPN related errors and keep this for 24-48 hours for troubleshooting purposes. We don’t advertise our minimal logging because we believe it provides a false sense of anonymity. With systems like Prism in place it’s trivial for government agencies to correlate VPN connections to regular connections that exit a VPN."

Astrill also keep some logs. Frankly speaking everyone is keeping some logs one way or another. I do not mind lack of torrenting but understand this can be an issue for some. I do not think it is possible to maintain a high speed, reliable VPN network with clean (not banned) "IPs", torrenting allowed, no logging etc. Users are going to take advantage of such networks and abuse it heavily (for marketing, SEO, fraud purposes), making it unreliable for normal customers such as myself.

I have no problems with Astrill. In fact I have positive experience. Their DEV support always get back to me swiftly with any particular issues I may have or bugs found that need to be addressed. E.g. Few days ago I reported a bug with DNS on their applet when using "via" servers and they have fixed it within 24hours by pulling a new version 2.9.5. For me Astrill is still the number one.

I would avoid PIA for one reason: they are too popular. I am sure their network, IPs are heavily abused. Their native (OS X) client looks like from 90ties and yes being so popular and having so many customers, I would definitely expect something better from them. They are also US based which should be automatically disregarded by users looking for privacy.

AirVPN is definitely worth looking at, I was seriously considering them before finding 12VPN. I like that AirVPN is working hard to make things better, they are active on their forum, withdrawing servers if the privacy could be compromised etc. Definitely one of the best choices for "privacy" enthusiasts.

oric1

Reaction score

Great reviews stiwipl!

Astrill tweet 2 days ago that they are currently working on OpenWeb Ver 3.0 that will tunnels all applications (currently it only works on the web browsers). It's fast, with little to no overhead, comparing to other VPNs. They are looking for beta testers.

stiwipl

Reaction score
Great reviews stiwipl!

Astrill tweet 2 days ago that they are currently working on OpenWeb Ver 3.0 that will tunnels all applications (currently it only works on the web browsers). It's fast, with little to no overhead, comparing to other VPNs. They are looking for beta testers.

Yes, definitely a good news regarding OpenWeb 3.0. It's a pity it will work on Windows only but I hope OS X version will follow up shortly. I also know they are working with Apple to launch OpenWeb on iOS which would be great. This is one of the reasons why I definitely consider them number one, as they are always working on some improvements and non standard solutions.

oric1

Reaction score
Yes, definitely a good news regarding OpenWeb 3.0. It's a pity it will work on Windows only but I hope OS X version will follow up shortly. I also know they are working with Apple to launch OpenWeb on iOS which would be great. This is one of the reasons why I definitely consider them number one, as they are always working on some improvements and non standard solutions.

Thanks for the heads up on the iOS :)

tech_oasis

Reaction score
Considering to sign up a VPN provider to pair with a tianmao m10 box, will be watching mainly contents from China. I'm a new to vpn and will appreciate recommendations on a service provider with good speed for china.

Thanks

Peach Tea

Suspended
Reaction score
Great reviews stiwipl!

Bro. you beta tester?

oric1

Reaction score
Bro. you beta tester?

Nope, I'm still waiting for their final release.

If you want to beta test v3 -> http://dropbox.astrill.com/file-M.4WOv9bcPpXXIr0Uup3eH8Ni45.Ypfjkhi1uZUQ/astrill-setup-win-v3-beta10.exe

These are some Astrill 3.0 new features:

App Guard - You can now block P2P programs if VPN is off or suddenly got disconnected. Much easier than fiddling with the complicated Windows Firewall settings -> Astrill Setup Manual: How to configure any torrent client to work only while Astrill OpenVPN is connected

OpenWeb Full Mode - Now you can tunnels all programs instead of only the web browsers, it's fast and with zero overhead.

It also fixes an issue when switching from OpenVPN / StealthVPN back to OpenWeb.

12088340_1031764726874345_3255295758845185764_n.png

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i find the configuration from windows firewall a fool proof way of killing torrent if astrill vpn is down. i dont think it is hard to configure.

stiwipl

Reaction score
[...]
12VPN - Hidden gem it seems and probably the most serious competitor to Astrill.

This is a follow up to my review here.

I had to cancel 12VPN in the end. It is a really great provider, with fantastic support but my ultimate reasons were:

1. They saw my Skype traffic as P2P as essentially their robot was kicking me out from their servers. They do not allow P2P which I am fine with but I was surprised that Skype upon launching may have 400-500 connections within seconds. I read further and apparently Skype is selecting users to act as nodes or super nodes. You can Google it to read further. I intend to block UDP Skype port (but it is not possible via Mac app), I could block it on the router but then it would still not work when using VPN on the desktop. One of the solution is Little Snitch but I have not decided yet whether it is worth to spend S$50 just for blocking Skype's UDP.

2. Their OpenWEB protocol works differently than Astrill. For instance in Astrill when connected to OpenWEB all videos, downloading files and even terminal commands are routed via OpenWEB, while with 12VPN it goes directly through your ISP with the exception of well known websites such as Youtube (this are routed through their OpenWEB).

3. In addition to their restrictive policy on OpenWEB, I also had some problems when using OpenVPN. Certain flash video websites are streaming on non default ports and this are blocked on 12VPN. A quick email to them describing the problem, showing the website will fix the issues (as they will whitelist the ports) but sometimes it is not convenient when the videos streams we are referring to are on a subscription based website. I also did not manage to download files directly from the browser on port :8080 as it was blocked.

So yes, while initially it looked great, the more extensive testing showed they are quite restrictive in terms what is allowed and what is not. If however it works for you, this is great little provider with fast servers and interesting solutions.

NordVPN - their new OS X beta app is too big for my liking, although clean and clear in terms of layout. The speeds I was getting were far from good (max. 20-25Mbps). I have nothing good to say about them, maybe except for good privacy and P2P (if you care about it). I think they gave me a free trial when I sent them an email.

Proxy.sh - their website is putting me off but I gave them a try, $2 - two hubs available Netherland and USA. Discount code 10% ILUVPROXYSH. The claim to offer a lot in terms of privacy such as: "SoftEther, TOR, obfsproxy, ECC and XOR - well, good on paper. In practice their OS X app does not support this features yet. Their OS X Safejumper app is natively designed but not intuitive and very limited in settings. You can't for example change ports or protocols. Also its default setting is "hubs", which means you connect to NL hub or US hub. On 10 VPN reconnections I landed in different data center every time! I don't have to say how speeds and performance greatly varied. Then in advances settings you can select option to show you all servers in hubs. There were like 30 servers in NL hub and upon checking all of them only one performed very good. Also some were not working... One was NL server with virtual US IP (no explanation completely). Frankly speaking I am not a fan of such strategy. I prefer if VPN have 2-3 different data centers in the same country, call them NL1, NL2, NL3 and focus on its development, instead of having 15 when just one is performing well. FAIL.

VPN.ac - I bought $2 seven days trial account, discount code 30% VPNREV. Their OS X app is definitely not natively designed. Looks like Windows 98 port to OS X. Good in terms of privacy, P2P allowed. 6 devices. Good options like OpenVPN XOR, ECC etc, supported on the app. Different ports. Surprisingly good speeds (I was getting 80Mbit on their NL servers - just to remind my isp limit is 100/20). If they polish their OS X app, it will not be a bad choice. Also one note: there is 2TB traffic limit per month.

I am thinking about trying Buffered VPN & Express VPN. ExpressVPN app looks almost exactly the same as VyprVPN which worries me. I had bad experience with VyprVPN in terms of speed. I wonder if there is any affiliation between them, considering the same pricing policy.

I am also going to try AirVPN once again, I remember they were quite good. There is a discount 15% now when using WHIRLPOOL_AIRVPN

Being spoilt by Astrill both in terms of how well their apps are polished with great features and speeds, it is not an easy task to find an alternative backup. Perhaps I am demanding too much...

Last edited:

oric1

Reaction score
i find the configuration from windows firewall a fool proof way of killing torrent if astrill vpn is down. i dont think it is hard to configure.

Unfortunately when I've McAfee Firewall, I can't do it so my only bet is to wait for v3.0 :)

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately when I've McAfee Firewall, I can't do it so my only bet is to wait for v3.0 :)

mcafee firewall is crap. i uninstalled it and re-installed mcafee without their firewall option.

if you are using mcafee firewall, the windows firewall is disabled.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.