How to start Investing. Books, Sites.

GiraffeValue

Banned
Reaction score
eh "All about how to start investing"? i am not sure lah, me angmo cannot lah..

but i think we can start listing all the questions that newbies ask

1) What is ETFs, bond and stocks?
2) What are ES3 and A35 and the difference?

You should approach me ma. My headline all very sexy one...

Can come up with something like"

"The Beginner Guide To Singapore Stocks Investing"
"Newbie Alert: How To Be A Investor That Doesn't Suck"

So how do we decide what kind of stocks to buy? Those with or without dividends? Much appreciated, and thanks for sharing :)

Hey Fiona, I would suggest to do a read up on STI ETF before going into individually stock. Have the big picture right first.

This will allow you to make about 7% annualized return.

The best guide I've ever read for STI ETF is here:

http://www.bigfatpurse.com/straits-times-index-exchange-traded-fund-sti-etf-all-you-need-to-know/

Thememberboi

Reaction score
Hi guys, im a newbie in stocks and i want to start building my portfolio by accumulating dividend stocks for long term. Since i'm 20 this year, i should be planning for the future already. Had quite a broad knowledge in TA since i was in forex about a year from videos, books and seminars.

Questions i have is:

1)I've seen in other thread seems like SCB (Stanchart) is the best for local stocks is that true? (if not, what other brokerage is good)

2)My startup capital is $3,000. It is substantial? (i was thinking to reinvest some of my savings into it every month)

3)Any good books recommendation to read for me to increase knowledge in stocks(dividend stocks/REITs/blue chip etc.)?

4)Should i approach the stock market the same way in forex?

Pardon me for my ignorance and if the question have been asked in other threads because i've tried finding the answers for a few hours here before coming to this thread to ask these questions

Thank you in advance for your precious time and i absolutely appreciate all the answers.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, im a newbie in stocks and i want to start building my portfolio by accumulating dividend stocks for long term. Since i'm 20 this year, i should be planning for the future already. Had quite a broad knowledge in TA since i was in forex about a year from videos, books and seminars.

Questions i have is:

1)I've seen in other thread seems like SCB (Stanchart) is the best for local stocks is that true? (if not, what other brokerage is good)
Yup, it's the best as it's commission is just 0.2%+/- vs $20-$25++ min for other brokerages... e.g. Singtel at $3.50 for 100 shares only cost $0.70+/- vs $20-25++ in other brokerages...

2)My startup capital is $3,000. It is substantial? (i was thinking to reinvest some of my savings into it every month)
It is not substantial but it is a good start. Since local market has reduced the minimal share for buy/sell down to 100 from 1000 so you can still buy a few different counter even with $3k.

3)Any good books recommendation to read for me to increase knowledge in stocks(dividend stocks/REITs/blue chip etc.)?
There are links in the first post of this thread that shows the books yup?

4)Should i approach the stock market the same way in forex?

Pardon me for my ignorance and if the question have been asked in other threads because i've tried finding the answers for a few hours here before coming to this thread to ask these questions

Thank you in advance for your precious time and i absolutely appreciate all the answers.

I think forex and stocks can use some of the same stuff, mainly the TA stuff. There's no reason to abandon everything just because one is forex the other is stock...

Thememberboi

Reaction score
Hey Perisher, sorry to bother you once again.

I've seen some videos on youtube and read on Fundamental Analysis. There are several jargon terms i've yet to encounter before or don't understand.

I would like to seek your help in understanding more about FA. Thank you in advance!

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hey Perisher, sorry to bother you once again.

I've seen some videos on youtube and read on Fundamental Analysis. There are several jargon terms i've yet to encounter before or don't understand.

I would like to seek your help in understanding more about FA. Thank you in advance!

Investment jargons explanation can be found on investopedia.
Otherwise you can post here and many would answer you. :)

jacques.jiean

Reaction score
Hi, i have been using POEMs for a week, can i still change to SCB? realised it's not very worth it that I keep paying min $25 for the amount I buy.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi, i have been using POEMs for a week, can i still change to SCB? realised it's not very worth it that I keep paying min $25 for the amount I buy.

Who is stopping you?
Highly encouraged to switch if you ain't buying/selling by bulk, like $9k or what.

Also check if having a idle account cost anything at Poems. Otherwise can just sell the stocks and buy back using SCB.
Take note of any fees like dividends handling fees, admin fees, quarterly fees etc which SCB doesn't charges at all.

jacques.jiean

Reaction score
Thanks! Didnt expect a reply at this timing.

Anyone here knows if an idle account with POEMS cost anything? (Just trying my luck, will check myself if no replies). Thanks again!

Who is stopping you?
Highly encouraged to switch if you ain't buying/selling by bulk, like $9k or what.

Also check if having a idle account cost anything at Poems. Otherwise can just sell the stocks and buy back using SCB.
Take note of any fees like dividends handling fees, admin fees, quarterly fees etc which SCB doesn't charges at all.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Didnt expect a reply at this timing.

Anyone here knows if an idle account with POEMS cost anything? (Just trying my luck, will check myself if no replies). Thanks again!

Am watching some football matches. :D

Anyway, do note that SCB has some criteria before you can open an account.

1. Have you traded 6 times yet?
2. Do you work in finance sector or
3. has finance related studies?

Fulfiling 1 of them will do.

jacques.jiean

Reaction score
awesome. thanks. i have bought 4 shares, sold 1. okay, next week i sell 1 more fulfil liao lo?

thanks for the info on poems!

jacques.jiean

Reaction score
Anyone linked POEMS and DBS? I sold some shares on 18 Nov but I have not see the earnings in my DBS account. any advise?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.