View Single Post
Old 21-10-2015, 02:52 PM   #1199
stiwipl

I get the feeling that astrill tries to nickel and dime you for things which ought to be included. Nat firewall? Vpn sharing? Cryptoplus theater?

For their asking price, it seems to me that you could set up a vps, run the vpn, use as many connections as you want, use it as a seed box,and do out in more than one location.

By the way, when you run the vpn on your router, do you add firewall rules to prevent the vpn provider from connecting to your internal network?
This is the way many people see it like that - paid addons. But again I have not seen any other VPN provider with such a well developed apps which features work cross platforms. You do not need these addons that you have mentioned. Astrill applet is also free, what you have to pay for is RouterPRO protocol which I find a good value in, because I can get 2x speeds of normal OpenVPN on the router and I can easily stream Netflix 4k...

You can do your own VPS I am sure, but then you will miss many great features. I also believe their connections are well optimized, something that you might be unable to achieve even on the same server running your own OpenVPN. Also what about the convenience of switching servers / countries? You would need to get few different VPS to achieve the same.
stiwipl is offline   Reply With Quote