View Single Post
Old 27-10-2015, 07:58 AM   #3047
stars87
Master Member

stars, Tokaido Shinkansen not covered by this.

Shinkansen Service in the JR EAST Area:
Tohoku Shinkansen, Yamagata Shinkansen, Akita Shinkansen, Joetsu Shinkansen, Hokuriku Shinkansen (between Tokyo and Joetsumyoko Stations)

Yea which was why I mentioned, JR east service.

Tokaido shinkansen is by JR chuo/central I think.

And yes you still can make shinkansen reservation although I agree its not necessary.

Eki-net (えきねっと)

I have received a comment from one of my readers, Tak. He told me we can use this Japanese online reservation system even for Japan Rail Pass users. This online reservation is in Japanese. So unfortunately anyone cannot use. However some of my readers asked me that we can use a friend in Japan to make a reservation for Japan Rail Pass user in outside of Japan. Yes. You can do it now.

This reservation system cover all over Japan. So for example, you can book for Shinkansen between Tokyo and Shin Osaka. We cannot do this in JR East Shinkansen Reservation. But this online reservation is not perfect. I tried to book for several overnight trains, like Sunrise Seto, Hokutosei and Twilight Express. I could get some of overnight trains. I found Akebono and Hokutosei. But this site showed only Type-B berth. It did not show me any compartment. I have received so many questions about Nobi Nobi seat of Sunrise Seto/Izumo and Carpet car of Hamanasu. But I could not make it for these trains.
So even if you have a friend in Japan or speak Japanese, you still cannot make a reservation for most of overnight trains.
http://jprail.com/travel-informations/basic-informations/timetable-and-reservation/how-to-reserve-seat.html#Eki-net