EDMW Knife Collectors

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
hi all im new to knives, wanna ask if any collectors of samurai swords here and if you could share the process of obtaining the license.

thx in advance

it's at the discretion of SPF. are you sure you are ready to collect swords? you should enquire directly with SPF - generally it is better to get their position on this for your item etc. It also depends on who you are...they are less likely to approve if you are a high risk individual.

Reaction score
it's at the discretion of SPF. are you sure you are ready to collect swords? you should enquire directly with SPF - generally it is better to get their position on this for your item etc. It also depends on who you are...they are less likely to approve if you are a high risk individual.

thx for the reply.

i read through the faq n they onli say to bring the sword down for their assessment. but as i cannot bring in real weapons and sg does not have any place selling (not that i know of), i cannot get my hands on the sword since it's physically in japan. so i asked my question here hoping someone who was in a similar position as me could give me some guidance.

chengkhi

Reaction score
thx for the reply.

i read through the faq n they onli say to bring the sword down for their assessment. but as i cannot bring in real weapons and sg does not have any place selling (not that i know of), i cannot get my hands on the sword since it's physically in japan. so i asked my question here hoping someone who was in a similar position as me could give me some guidance.

My advise dun collect swords lah, it will be white elephants sitting at home collecting dust... You cant bring it out etc.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
thx for the reply.

Got link to the sword? Shinsakuto or antique?

TheBUSTED

Reaction score
General Knife Discussion

Thanks deadjr and Shikiwaru for the reply :)

Im just curious. How many of us in this forum actually carry a knife with you on a daily basis?

If you do, what do you usually carry and have you ever encountered any instances when ppl ask you why u carry a knife or give u weird looks?

I stick to a knife with a blade length of 2.5' or less, usually a SAK. When i take it out to cut something, i usually go to a discrete corner just to avoid weird stares hahha.

Just wanna hear ur experiences and start a mini discussion.

Malakite

Reaction score
Actually I carry a folder on a daily basis, came in handy a few times. But that's the thing about a knife, you won't need it until you need it. So I rather have it on me 100% of the time and only use it 10%, rather then not having it and needing it.

Haven't encountered life or death situations mind you, just everyday tasks.
I don't go for the tactical looking folders for my edc so thus far no one has given me any strange looks.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Actually I carry a folder on a daily basis, came in handy a few times. But that's the thing about a knife, you won't need it until you need it. So I rather have it on me 100% of the time and only use it 10%, rather then not having it and needing it.

Haven't encountered life or death situations mind you, just everyday tasks.
I don't go for the tactical looking folders for my edc so thus far no one has given me any strange looks.

nobody stares at you (I'm assuming you're the one in your avatar)?? :eek::s13:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
anyways, those who carry won't tell =:p

I do have the SAF bantam on me most of the time - they're great fingernail cleaners and the tweezers are super useful.

opolpol

Reaction score
I'm new here and I see spyderco quite collectible among singaporeans .

Anyways , come here mainly to sell i got a benchmade griptillian in black blade / od up for sale. need to fund an overseas trip .
Message me at 97778415 with offers if not i'll instant sell at 120 sgd .
only wear is clip wear , everything else is perfect condition .

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score

Im just curious. How many of us in this forum actually carry a knife with you on a daily basis?

If you do, what do you usually carry and have you ever encountered any instances when ppl ask you why u carry a knife or give u weird looks?

I stick to a knife with a blade length of 2.5' or less, usually a SAK. When i take it out to cut something, i usually go to a discrete corner just to avoid weird stares hahha.

I will not comment on anything specific, but I can tell you about the great knowledge passed down to me during my NSF days: "Do but don't get caught".

This applies to everything. Singapore is definitely not vice-free; I have seen people carrying the 4-letter V-word item around.

If you do get caught, please have a good reason/explanation beforehand.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
In case anyone is interested. All prices firm and fair unless you buy more than one, then I'll throw in a small discount (depending on the configuration). Thanks for looking ;)

1. Marfione Custom Anax integral framelock, stonewashed blade. NIB. Box, papers, cert. This is a phenomenal folder - a ground-breaker of sorts. A full custom integral at this price is hard to find. USD[revised, see posts below]. I will also include some additional freebies like stickers and maybe a patch.

2. Hinderer handground custom long/deep swedged spearpoint XM18 3.5 with Duratech 20C blade (sterile satin blade - Gen 3). Non-flipper. Black G10 scale. Mint from maker. Perfect action, sharpness and fit and finish. Does not come with the pictured skull tab as it was sold off separately. The regular tab has been reinstalled. Also, this deep swedge version is very rare - don't confuse with regular spearpoint. USD[revised, see posts below].

3. Spyderco Domino with custom spaceman deep carry titanium clip. USD[revised, see posts below].

(BTW, a new Domino w/o the custom titanium clip is already USD210 + shipping, the clip itself will cost you another USD20 plus shipping).

IMG_2407_zpspdxbz0j3.jpg

IMG_2408_zps0jyrzohq.jpg

Last edited:

Malakite

Reaction score
Got a question for you guy, which is the better tool for camping in southeast Asia, a machete/parang or kukri?

This will be a full on camp trip, meaning tents on ground or hammocks between trees type.

Will most likely need to clear an area for sleeping and find/chop for firewood.

We will be needing to hike about 8-10 km so weight will be an issue.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Got a question for you guy, which is the better tool for camping in southeast Asia, a machete/parang or kukri?

This will be a full on camp trip, meaning tents on ground or hammocks between trees type.

Will most likely need to clear an area for sleeping and find/chop for firewood.

We will be needing to hike about 8-10 km so weight will be an issue.

parang for all seasons and for all reasons. or my Big Chris bolo :s13:=:p:s13: Add a folding saw for minimal weight but maximum gains.

thegaunlet

Reaction score

Great question esp for a knife thread!

I started to carry for utility and emergency use. First carried a Spyderco Dragonfly because it's small and waterproof. Weird looks/comments when I use it.

Upgraded to a Manix 2 for awhile because of its quick deployment.

Over time I realize it's not very practical to carry a more-than-cheap knife that well is purely a knife. The utility argument isn't very strong. EDCing one and worse having to go through immigration/security not knowing if they'll confiscate your knife or suspect you is not worth it.

So got myself a Spyderco Clipitool with Serrated Blade. It's very small, difficult to open one handed but as its name suggests is more of a tool. You can get the scissors or bottle opener/screw driver as well.

The serrated blade covers most cutting task I.e. ropes, webbing etc.

But mainly because it's very small.

Gifted my gf a Spyderco H1 Ladybug to couple with a Maratac AAA SS flashlight to complete the tool feel.

I would not even worry about an SAK if you ask me. It's a multitool and yes, it's a tool that has multiple functions haha. I carry a Victorinox Spartan with my keys and have never been questioned.

Any item can be lethal if used the right way. But it's good to err on the safe side and get a truly tooly-knife hehe.

PS: I love the NS Victorinox Bantam. One of the best minimalist tools. Able to open cans is superb.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
props for meself:

LNIB (taken out to flip and photo):

ZT0801 collab with Todd Rexford. Second run - ultra smooth flipping action. Centered etc. Box papers.

Asking for only USD[revised, see posts below] which means it's cheaper than if you bought it yourself even without factoring shipping. You can't get it cheaper. Self collect at bukit panjang area.

ZT801_zpsgvjyturc.jpg

Last edited:

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score
props for meself:

LNIB (taken out to flip and photo):

ZT0801 collab with Todd Rexford. Second run - ultra smooth flipping action. Centered etc. Box papers.

Asking for only USD200 via paypal (that's only USD190 to me after paypal fees) which means it's cheaper than if you bought it yourself even without factoring shipping. You can't get it cheaper. Self collect at bukit panjang area.

ZT801_zpsgvjyturc.jpg

Help you sell it abit better:

Zero Tolerance has enforced a Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) policy quite awhile back. What this means is that retailers have to charge a minimum of a certain price on their products. So, no matter where you find it online (except for second hand), the prices will roughly be the same. You can wait till Black Friday and prices will still be the same.

This price of USD 200 is really good and it is definitely cheaper than when you get it yourself. Even if it is the same price, you don't have to wait to get the knife.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score

Zero Tolerance has enforced a Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) policy quite awhile back. What this means is that retailers have to charge a minimum of a certain price on their products. So, no matter where you find it online (except for second hand), the prices will roughly be the same. You can wait till Black Friday and prices will still be the same.

This price of USD 200 is really good and it is definitely cheaper than when you get it yourself. Even if it is the same price, you don't have to wait to get the knife.

Thanks Shikiwaru :)

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks Shikiwaru :)

No problem. Another company that also did that was Benchmade. This was quite a controversy in the US. Spyderco does not enforce such things, which is why you see prices low as hell on Amazon.

What happened was brick and mortar stores lose out in business when the MAP policy was absent. This was why KSF (who also operates with a physical store) stopped carrying Spydercos and is trying to clear them all now.

With that, I would say for our local market here, it is better for us to support each other and buy knives off fellow collectors as far as possible instead of introducing new stock in the market.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know there are a lot of good blades in the hands of many Singapore collectors :s13: from amazing swords to amazing customs to extensive collections of a mixed bag of production knives ;)

These days, I'm sticking to my regular EDC rotation knives hence just selling off the others.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score

I'm ready to deliver to the buyer this weekend. Come get your ZT0801. You'll be pleased you bought it :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.