Malaysia prepaid card

evolute8

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
come try out XOXmobile (celcom mvno), 2 years validity!! and have roaming in singapore!! :D:D

everyone who go malaysia should own one, have online portal to activate data or recharge by credit card

Where to get?

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@wongu njie, glad to know that your experience at the Danga Bay telco centers went well, and thanks for sharing it with us. :)

I'd to pay for the change to my Hotlink SIM cards back then, to 4G and later to nano, but it's only RM10 and less, and I was also given a RM5 reload voucher each time. I paid with hardly a blink, when I thought of how many more times we've to pay at our own telcos here. ;)

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tune Talk Prepaid (MVNO riding on Celcom Network) and Its 4G Coverage

Came across an old review on Tune Talk Prepaid SIM and one statement caught my attention. I guess this is what have been in my mind all this while, on the position of MVNOs and the network they ride on.

They are keeping expanding 4G coverage, but up to now, Celcom hasn’t open its 4G network to their MVNOs like TuneTalk.

(Tune Talk has since been rolling out its 4G coverage.)

Like what I've mentioned quite a while back, I've my reservations whenever anyone claims that when an MVNO is riding on a certain telco's network, their coverage/connection should be similar.

Now this statement clarifies my thought, that an MVNO's coverage also depends on what the main telco has released to it. If it's only to certain areas, then it certainly won't be the same as the telco's coverage. (I might be wrong, so anyone with in-depth knowledge of how these telcos work, is welcome to share with us. :) )

Now yes, I was surfing the net on Tune Talk's 4G reviews as I'm hoping to get hold of a 4G SIM card for my existing line and/or maybe also get another one registered in my own name. =:p

*Touch Wood* But should I end up getting a new SIM pack from a dealer who doesn't do the registration properly, I know from my experience with Tune Talk's customer service that they're quite easy to "catch" online. ;)

As shared before, I managed to stay online to surf throughout my trip back from Melaka with my then newly-acquired Tune Talk card, while on previous trips I could only take a nap coz all my lines went on E or worse, once we got out of Melaka town. I'm still hopeful... :)

Last edited:

blade007

Master Member
Reaction score
Which prepaid card should I get?

I am reading the posts from Habrosus regarding the different cards. but im still a little confused.

Would like to check which card would be suitable for me?
I normally go in 3-4 times a month for a day trip, looking for something which I can have some data to stay connected in case anything urgent comes up.

I stay over in JB about once every 2 months, and fly to KL every quarter. All in the city areas.

Which card should I buy? less hassle as I do not want to keep track about the validity and such.

Just need the internet function to work, calls not impt as I have my work mobile.

Oh and size of SIM does not matter. I have conversion kit + cutter. no worries

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am reading the posts from Habrosus regarding the different cards. but im still a little confused.

Would like to check which card would be suitable for me?
I normally go in 3-4 times a month for a day trip, looking for something which I can have some data to stay connected in case anything urgent comes up.

I stay over in JB about once every 2 months, and fly to KL every quarter. All in the city areas.

Which card should I buy? less hassle as I do not want to keep track about the validity and such.

Just need the internet function to work, calls not impt as I have my work mobile.

Oh and size of SIM does not matter. I have conversion kit + cutter. no worries

You just need to get a card which has the option to extend its validity, either through a fee (like Digi Best or Tune Talk MVNO) or just from doing a reload (like Tron). Coverage-wise, there's no single card that covers the whole country. My list of highlights more or less shows my own preference, but if you ask me to name one at this juncture, I'd say Digi New Best Prepaid SIM pack, if you can't get hold of a Tune Talk one.

Last edited:

tycosiao

Master Member
Reaction score
How can I top up a Digi card in Singapore?

Tried the Digi online but it only accepts a Malaysia Card.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you

Exactly what I did

Although more expensive, it saved me the trip in to JB.
Were you reloading just to reactivate the card, or preparing for an upcoming trip. Might want to consider picking up a couple of reload vouchers if you're going over, since those expire only after 2 years or more.

No need. Go to qoo10.my, create an account, and search for Digi top up, and buy and pay for it. That's how I did mine.
Any favorite/regular seller you've there to recommend to us? :)

blade007

Master Member
Reaction score
You just need to get a card which has the option to extend its validity, either through a fee (like Digi Best or Tune Talk MVNO) or just from doing a reload (like Tron). Coverage-wise, there's no single card that covers the whole country. My list of highlights more or less shows my own preference, but if you ask me to name one at this juncture, I'd say Digi New Best Prepaid SIM pack, if you can't get hold of a Tune Talk one.
Cool. Digi New best Prepaid SIM pack or time talk. Ok I will try out at City sq when I'm there this Dec.
Thanks!!

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cool. Digi New best Prepaid SIM pack or time talk. Ok I will try out at City sq when I'm there this Dec.
Thanks!!

Tune Talk (they're affiliated to Air Asia ;) and rides on Celcom network), but not available in City Square or the likes, and someone here got his from a shop in Bukit Indah that's better accessible via driving.

Quick rundown on getting Digi New Best Prepaid SIM pack from City Square:

The SIM pack costs RM8 (incl GST) with a credit balance of RM5, but I think they've a "compulsory reload" requirement so they'll ask for another RM15 (excl 6% GST). This is negligible since you need to have a minimum credit balance of RM43 in order to subscribe to Super Long Life (SLL, the 365 days extended validity) which will deduct RM38.

The SIM card only comes in Mini or Micro, they'll cut for you if you ask for Nano. You can get the Digi staff at the shop to help you do the necessary reload and activation. ;)

Another way is to go to the Digi Center in Danga Bay to buy the SIM pack and request for a Nano SIM which (ask nicely with a smile =:p) they won't charge extra.

Digi Prepaid:
http://new.digi.com.my/Page/products/default/all_prepaid

Reload Grant is a Digi promotion that's ending this month, all Digi New Best Prepaid v1 holders can get freebies with minimum RM10 reload. Just remember to "Dial to Redeem".
http://new.digi.com.my/ecomm_C/services/default/reloadgrant

Some USSD codes (key in before pressing CALL button):
Check Credit Balance: *128*1*1#
Check Expiry: *128*1*6*1#
Check Call Plan: *128*1*4#
Dial to Redeem: *888*1#
Subscribe Super Long Life: *128*1*7*3#
Reload from PIN on Vouchers: *123*16-Digit PIN#
(P.S. Unless I'm sure there's no Digi updates to these codes, I sometimes go step-by-step, that is to call *128# first to see the menu.)

blade007

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Just to clarify, so after buying at RM8, and top up RM 35, I should activate the long life validity, and get the free data.

So is there any more value or data left in the card? Or after the free data runs out or expire, I would need to top up to use?

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Just to clarify, so after buying at RM8, and top up RM 35, I should activate the long life validity, and get the free data.

So is there any more value or data left in the card? Or after the free data runs out or expire, I would need to top up to use?

- The SIM pack costs RM8, with only RM5 credit balance in it.
- If they ask you for "compulsory reload" of RM15, this will make the available balance to RM20.
- In order to subscribe to SLL, you need a minimum balance of RM43, means you need to reload another RM23 at least (or round up to RM25).

- So total out of your pocket will be RM8 + RM15.90 (incl 6% GST) + RM26.50 (incl 6% GST) = RM50.40, and RM45 will be shown as your credit balance.
- RM38 deduction for SLL will bring the final credit balance to RM7. These RM7 can be used of calls, text, etc.

Some things to note before you subscribe to SLL:

1) Initial validity of a newly-activated Digi New Best SIM pack is 30 days. If you activate SLL on that day, the 365 days will start from that day and not the end of those 30 days. Some people bother to calculate and wait, while others like me and friends just do it on the spot instead of waiting for another 30 days. Your choice, just thought I should highlight to you. :)

2) There's free high-speed 500MB of data valid for 7 days under the previous plan (Digi Best Prepaid v4) upon activated, I'm not sure if this latest one has it too. If so, when you reload and then claim the free data under Reload Grant, one will overwrite the other, but I'm not sure which.

On Point 1), you might first want to confirm with the staff on the initial validity date, or check on the phone using the USSD code after the line's activated. If you find this a hassle and just want to activate SLL on the spot, then you can neglect this step.

On Point 2), this applies only if you're going to get your SIM pack by this month. Highlight the Reload Grant promotion to the staff to ensure that he does a lump sum reload of whatever is required, so that you can get the free data according to the table. You might want to save this table to your phone and show them when you're there, as not all dealers have good knowledge of the products they sell. (Don't forget to do the redemption step to get the freebies after that.) But again, have to check if this conflicts with the initial FOC data, if any.

After the free high-speed data runs out, you'll have to subscribe to one of the high-speed data packages:
http://new.digi.com.my/Page/overview/default/mobile-internet

Digi New Best Prepaid and Digi Smart Prepaid:
Digi Best allows you to subscribe to SLL, while Digi Smart gives you "Free Basic Internet" @64kbps as long as your line is active. Only way to keep the Smart line active is via constant reload.
Don't buy the wrong card. ;)

Feel free to post here if you need anymore clarification. :)

Edit: I think the Reload Grant's free data will overwrite the initial free data...

Last edited:

blade007

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks habrosus for the information.
But seems like after one month or 2 would need to top up and subscribe for the data ya?
Would tron be better? If I'm looking for a more hassle free approach.. If I top up a bunch and just subscribe daily when I'm in Malaysia, would that be any better?
Do give your views thanks!

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks habrosus for the information.
But seems like after one month or 2 would need to top up and subscribe for the data ya?
Would tron be better? If I'm looking for a more hassle free approach.. If I top up a bunch and just subscribe daily when I'm in Malaysia, would that be any better?
Do give your views thanks!

It's the same for both, coz you'll still need to ensure you've enough credit in order to subscribe for a data package. If not, you'll still need to top-up in both cases. I can't quite understand the difference here, with regards to data subscription. =:p

From my personally experience with these 2 cards, I find Digi Best more hassle-free coz I can do stuff with it from home or on-the-move. Tron has no auto-roaming service, though there's been claims that you can connect to the Tron network in certain parts of Singapore.

If you rather not wait for later to top up as and when you need, you can always reload a bigger amount right after you've activated the card. Am I understanding you correctly? =:p

blade007

Master Member
Reaction score
It's the same for both, coz you'll still need to ensure you've enough credit in order to subscribe for a data package. If not, you'll still need to top-up in both cases. I can't quite understand the difference here, with regards to data subscription. =:p

From my personally experience with these 2 cards, I find Digi Best more hassle-free coz I can do stuff with it from home or on-the-move. Tron has no auto-roaming service, though there's been claims that you can connect to the Tron network in certain parts of Singapore.

If you rather not wait for later to top up as and when you need, you can always reload a bigger amount right after you've activated the card. Am I understanding you correctly? =:p
True ya. Both have to top up a large amount then to keep it going.
Regarding the data plan for digi, 1rm a day, could I activate and deactivate for just one day at a time? Or it will just keep deducting RM1 per day?
The other question would be, if I top up RM 100 at one go, I suppose I will get the 120 days validity, I wonder if I can go by that route then only activate the SLL in 3 months

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
True ya. Both have to top up a large amount then to keep it going.
Regarding the data plan for digi, 1rm a day, could I activate and deactivate for just one day at a time? Or it will just keep deducting RM1 per day?
The other question would be, if I top up RM 100 at one go, I suppose I will get the 120 days validity, I wonder if I can go by that route then only activate the SLL in 3 months

If you subscribe to a data package and fail to send in a request to stop the auto-renewal, the deduction will happen at the end of the day. If you only want to use it for a day, then all you've to do is to send in the request before midnight. I think the USSD code is *128*3*1*1#. Note that for Digi, the data will stop immediately after the request is acknowledged.

Of course you can top up RM100 to keep the line activated, and activate SLL later or just let it expire if you've used up the credit and decide to change to another telco. So long as SLL is available for subscription, that is, as Maxis has stopped its Validity 365 with the latest #Hotlink plan, and Celcom is not offering EXP1/2 for Magic SIM.

Actually, if you choose to go the constant top-up route one day, you can consider Maxis #Hotlink or Celcom Magic SIM for XPAX, both which I feel have better network coverage than Digi. (After cancellation of auto-renewal, Celcom Magic SIM allows you to use the data up to the end of the day, while Maxis #Hotlink allows you to use up to the real end of that package (e.g. true 24x7 hours after a 7-day package is activated.) More information to absorb when you're ready. :s13:

Last edited:

blade007

Master Member
Reaction score
If you subscribe to a data package and fail to send in a request to stop the auto-renewal, the deduction will happen at the end of the day. If you only want to use it for a day, then all you've to do is to send in the request before midnight. I think the USSD code is *128*3*1*1#. Note that for Digi, the data will stop immediately after the request is acknowledged.

Of course you can top up RM100 to keep the line activated, and activate SLL later or just let it expire if you've used up the credit and decide to change to another telco. So long as SLL is available for subscription, that is, as Maxis has stopped its Validity 365 with the latest #Hotlink plan, and Celcom is not offering EXP1/2 for Magic SIM.

Actually, if you choose to go the constant top-up route one day, you can consider Maxis #Hotlink or Celcom Magic SIM for XPAX, both which I feel have better network coverage than Digi. (After cancellation of auto-renewal, Celcom Magic SIM allows you to use the data up to the end of the day, while Maxis #Hotlink allows you to use up to the real end of that package (e.g. true 24x7 hours after a 7-day package is activated.) More information to absorb when you're ready. :s13:
Interesting.. Ha-ha I think the constant top up is not suitable for me. And tron initial set up is actually not cheap. The best compromise is actually tune talk but don't seem easy to obtain ya.
Think next best would really be digi. And just starting with SLL seems much safer as you comment that some telcos stop that all together already

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.