EDMW Knife Collectors

phil_mfkr

Reaction score
singer oil works. ikea mineral oil works but it's rather thick and doesn't apply easily (pls don't use for pivots, it'll be gummy and attract lots of dirt). I use eezox myself as I like the smell - but as it's rather expensive, I save it for the custom folders. For parang, I use ikea mineral oil...mixed with a little secret spice for a nice aromatic smell :D

don't use cooking oil - it'll turn rancid. for kitchen knives, a little olive oil works too, but cooking oil is thick and doesn't apply easily.

have fun oiling your blades.

Thank you guys for the help! I've Singer oil on hand and will use it for the blades.

Now for my stag and wood handles. The guys on Bladeforums recommend using mineral oil to care for them. I don't want to risk ruining them with Singer oil.

Do you know of any specific, better quality mineral oil that I can find locally?

I admit that I'm a lurker. However, I definitely look forward to taking some pictures and sharing my knives here soon!

My preference lies with traditional slip joints. I started out with modern folders too, but once I discovered the traditional world, I knew I'm home.

As the name of this thread suggests, I'm more of a collector. While I value utility, and have my hard-use utility knives - this hobby is fuelled more by my emotions than logic. There is absolutely no way for me to rationalise spending such amounts on a single knife. Especially in an urban setting such as Singapore.

I tried, I failed, and I just gave in. I no longer try to justify my purchases through utility and function alone.

When you finally acknowledge that this is an addiction, and you collect and buy simply because you enjoy having these little gems. It becomes a lot easier, and a lot more fun!

Don't you agree?

I enjoy, and pay, for the heritage, the history, the stories, the craftsmanship, the attention to details, the people behind it, the people selling it.

I buy it for that shiok feeling in my hands when I curl my fingers around its exquisitely crafted handle. These edged implements are a joy. It is what defines us - we are what we are because we have opposable thumbs and can use tools. The knife is our first and most important tool.

I love it, and I guess you do too!

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the help! I've Singer oil on hand and will use it for the blades.

Now for my stag and wood handles. The guys on Bladeforums recommend using mineral oil to care for them. I don't want to risk ruining them with Singer oil.

Do you know of any specific, better quality mineral oil that I can find locally?

I admit that I'm a lurker. However, I definitely look forward to taking some pictures and sharing my knives here soon!

My preference lies with traditional slip joints. I started out with modern folders too, but once I discovered the traditional world, I knew I'm home.

As the name of this thread suggests, I'm more of a collector. While I value utility, and have my hard-use utility knives - this hobby is fuelled more by my emotions than logic. There is absolutely no way for me to rationalise spending such amounts on a single knife. Especially in an urban setting such as Singapore.

I tried, I failed, and I just gave in. I no longer try to justify my purchases through utility and function alone.

When you finally acknowledge that this is an addiction, and you collect and buy simply because you enjoy having these little gems. It becomes a lot easier, and a lot more fun!

Don't you agree?

I enjoy, and pay, for the heritage, the history, the stories, the craftsmanship, the attention to details, the people behind it, the people selling it.

I buy it for that shiok feeling in my hands when I curl my fingers around its exquisitely crafted handle. These edged implements are a joy. It is what defines us - we are what we are because we have opposable thumbs and can use tools. The knife is our first and most important tool.

stag, ivory, horn and natural materials which are not stabilized are subject to shrinkage or expansion/cracks - it doesn't happen all the time but it may. This is noticeable when you are dealing with folders/full tang handles on fixed blades/knives with bolsters. I've had non-stabilized cocobolo shrink considerably on a hunter. Some natural woods are very dense and oily and don't require stabilization (for eg. ebony). you can try buying ikea mineral oil to soak the stag handles once a year - but it is very thick so wiping it off thereafter is gonna be a pain. however, there may be some discolouration. you need to soak overnight. A lot depends on the weather - changes in temperature, humidity etc all affect natural materials.

http://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/00170993/

on my makka-wood (a type of thai rosewood) handled enep, I wipe down with mineral oil periodically, but I don't soak it (a bit more troublesome).

Singer Oil, mineral oil, machine oil - they're all byproducts of petroleum. The difference is in additives that affect the smell (some oils are 'scented' for brand/item recognition) or in different grades of mineral oil (some are food grade as defined by FDA, singer oil isn't) or in the viscosity.

here's a quote from Roger Pinnock from Bladeforums - Roger collects very high end bowies so he knows a thing or two about what he's talking about...

Hey Holger,

Yeah, I use an old plastic ice-cream tub 3/4 or so filled with mineral oil. That's enough to completely immerse a bowie handle to just past the hilt. I leave it immersed for 24hrs. twice per year. I have not noticed any darkening. Works great for mammoth and walrus ivories as well.

Roger

Sometimes people use beeswax or a beeswax and oil mixture.

The biggest problem is the difference in humidity where the knife was made and Singapore/where you are keeping it. I've had a tight fit saya/scabbard become loose when it reached me. The knife just popped out and I had to insert a shim into the scabbard in order to hold the knife in. Sometimes you gotta ask the maker to get either stabilized material or make the fit during a period of time which is closer to the humidity/temperature in Singapore. A fit done in the summer in Arizona isn't going to work once it arrives in Singapore, IMO, lol.

I'm looking forward to your pictures because you mentioned wooden handles! :)

Last edited:

Stevejobless

Reaction score

Don't you agree?

Good post. Describes well the reason why we collect.

Antler or horn AFAIK don't need any further treatment. I collect traditional bows with horn on the belly and they do just fine in Singapore humidity. Wood mostly comes with a layer of finishing. Usually don't have to further coat with anything unless the finishing scratches off with hard use. Beeswax may work for extra layer of protection. I use polyurethane floor varnish when I want to refinish my wooden items.

Last edited:

-nzy90

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This can be a point of discussion too :) With having so many of such pieces, why not consider bumping up to productions (Spyderco, zt, etc) or even midtechs? What's your thought process? :)
For me its because I use all my knives regularly. Not really a collector. Just want knives that can do the job well and I won't mind losing or damaging.

Sent from Samsung SM-N910G using GAGT

Siluriform

Reaction score
How would one make a purchase off BladeHQ? Looking at the bolstered Boker Kwaiken among other things to get on Black Friday.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
some great posts. now let's see some pics.

stag - some I like, some I don't. I like the amber ones with the some knobbly bits, but give me exotic stabilized wood or walrus or oosik or weathered artifact ivory over stag. I love artifact ivory but I'm not sure if they allow export to Singapore under CITES.

For actual hard use/rough use - the synthetics hold up better or dense wood.

let's see some stag pictures pls.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Good post. Describes well the reason why we collect.

Antler or horn AFAIK don't need any further treatment. I collect traditional bows with horn on the belly and they do just fine in Singapore humidity. Wood mostly comes with a layer of finishing. Usually don't have to further coat with anything unless the finishing scratches off with hard use. Beeswax may work for extra layer of protection. I use polyurethane floor varnish when I want to refinish my wooden items.

care to share pics of the bows? I like em too. Just too little disposable income. Poly varnish is great...if you are careful when you let them dry before applying subsequent coats. Being impatient, I've ruined some nice bowls haha. When properly done, it leaves a high gloss finish, IIRC.

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score
How would one make a purchase off BladeHQ? Looking at the bolstered Boker Kwaiken among other things to get on Black Friday.

You can use 65daigou. I've used their services before and they're okay. They're not recommended for limited runs that will go OOS quickly due to the fact that they're will be a delay involved. However, you can use their shipping service instead for that.

As for the Kwaiken, the mini version is coming out soon, just a heads up in case you want to buy that.

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score

Mineral oil is okay for normal maintenance. I've used it on my Opinel and a bokken I own. I guess if you're looking for a richer finish you'd use (boiled) linseed oil or tung oil.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Mineral oil is okay for normal maintenance. I've used it on my Opinel and a bokken I own. I guess if you're looking for a richer finish you'd use (boiled) linseed oil or tung oil.

I'm looking for a nice bokken. Any recommendations? how much is shipping?

Linseed /flaxseed oil is pretty pricey - also, not sure whether it leaves a 'tacky'/sticky finish? I would some extra food safe version if anyone has extra, I want to reseason my cast iron pan. The non stick seems to have come off :)

Last edited:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
pls bring unker vespa out for some archery someday =:p

can we bring in hunting arrows?

I've always wanted a Korean bow too.

ps: the grass seems to resemble the grass patch at Telok Blangah?

Last edited:

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a nice bokken. Any recommendations? how much is shipping?

Linseed /flaxseed oil is pretty pricey. I would some extra food safe version if anyone has extra, I want to reseason my cast iron pan. The non stick seems to have come off :)

I don't really have any insight for recommendations as the one I bought was just for prop purposes. It was painted before and I sanded off the paint after use for keepsake purposes. I believe I got it from some sports shop in Marina Square.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
ah ok, I just missed a stabilized hickory version for sale in the aftermarket. non-Chinese :)

dragonuser

Reaction score
Recently i been watching zombie drama like The Walking Dead and Z Nation so i been google about zombie knife and i saw this website http://www.zombietools.net

So what i asking is can i buy a knife from USA send to Singapore?
Need any permit?
How to get the permit?

mamba2012

Reaction score
Recently i been watching zombie drama like The Walking Dead and Z Nation so i been google about zombie knife and i saw this website http://www.zombietools.net

Need any permit?
How to get the permit?

This question has been asked many times here. Please search for the replies first. If there is anything beyond what has already been discussed, please feel free to ask . I'm sure the friendly folks here will be willing to answer your questions.

Siluriform

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, will give it a try. The bolstered Kwaiken is my favorite among all the variations so far, but all these limited runs can be tricky to get ahold of.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score

Need any permit?
How to get the permit?

Because knifeknuts are a friendly bunch, we will help you out. Although the question has been asked often, I guess there's no sticky or anything.

1. What can I import, export or possess?

There are a few primary legislation governing this topic. There may be subsidiary legislation, regulations and guidelines but you'll need to do some legal research on your own and if you have time.

Arms and Explosives Act:

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/aol/sear...49-555fc9998837" Status:inforce Depth:0;rec=0

It deals with the import, possession, buying/selling of 'arms' which includes bayonets, swords, daggers, spears and spearheads.

An exception is made for the ownership of the above whereby it is not an offence to own for eg. a sword/dagger which is for ornamental or curio - this is why it is legal to buy swords as long as you import it legally and with a licence.

Corrosive and Explosive Substances and Offensive Weapons Act:

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/aol/sear...847-758d-40d9-8440-289b1fe30697;rec=0#pr7-he-

It deals with the carrying of 'offensive weapons' and 'scheduled weapon' in public.

“offensive weapon” includes any instrument which if used as a weapon of offence is likely to cause hurt;

“scheduled weapon” means any offensive weapon specified in the Second Schedule.

[Second Schedule]

Scheduled weapons

1. Any knife, sometimes known as a flick knife, which has a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife.

2. Any knife, sometimes known as a gravity knife, which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force and which, when released, is locked in place by means of a button, spring, lever or other device.

3. Any whip manufactured from bicycle or motor cycle chains or from any similar kind of chainwork.

4. All kinds of knuckledusters.

5. Any blade or other instrument attached to or forming part of a bicycle pump, metal-pipe or stick, and concealed therein, which is capable of being used for cutting or stabbing.

6. Any sword, machete or parang, axe, sickle, bearing scraper, spear, bayonet, iron rod, or nancha-ku (segments of wood or metal joined by a chain, leather strap or cord).

7. Any knife, sometimes known as a wasp knife, which is capable of injecting a ball of compressed gas that freezes both human and animal tissues and organs surrounding the point of injection.

2. The SPF website helps to put this together in an easy to understand communication for the layman, and clarifies a little on 'licensing' in relation to the importation. It goes further to clarify what items require licensing (because as you can see, the primary legislation is quite widely drafted).

http://www.spf.gov.sg/licence/frameset_AE.html

But in a nutshell, this pictorial FAQ makes it easy for owner, users and collectors to know what they can buy (whether locally or imported) or otherwise:

http://www.spf.gov.sg/licence/AE/FAQ- Items.pdf

The preface in that PDF doc summarises it well:

Permissible Items are not regulated and no licence or permit is required for their import, export or possession. However unlawful possession of such permissible items in any public place may constitute to an offence of Possession of Offensive Weapon or Scheduled Weapon under the Corrosive and Explosives Substances and Offensive Weapons Act.

3. So, in your case:

- if your zombie sword is deemed to be a sword (maybe, as the blade length is 17"), then the item will require an import licence. The item will be detained and you'll need to present yourself at Cantonment to clear the item. There is no guarantee that you will be granted the import licence (there's some fee involved) - I have heard of requests being turned down and vice versa. If you want to be 100% sure, just email SPF and give them details of the item - links, pictures etc and they can advise you further.

- you may not carry that sword around in public unless you have a lawful purpose. Unless you want to be charged and prosecuted. Note the penalties - they are harsh. Note that a sword is a 'scheduled weapon', so the authorities don't have to prove that:

- it is an offensive weapon; and
- it was being carried in public.

So mere possession of a sword allows authorities to charge you if you don't have a lawful purpose, say - display, ornamental, art/exercise/ceremonial etc etc.

Hope that helps. You can donate USD10 to my paypal account to pay for my coffee and cookies :D

Last edited:

Stevejobless

Reaction score
Great links Vespa. Didn't know throwing knives and slingshots are prohibited.
The ZT Scyllis being a single edge knife should be no problem to import. Won't need a license for it. Go for it and post some pics and review once you got it.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.