Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

chercm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I tried subscribing to them and it works so far. After purchasing from the MakeUseOfdeals website, I was given a code to key into Getflix and purevpn website.

for 5 year leh , it is worthwhile . But how is the performance of pure vpn ? I know Astrill have been going down hill.

Soccer Ball

Suspended
Reaction score
What about those with private VPN IP, not shared (public)? This article is not clear about it, because it takes for granted that everyone is using shared / public IPs and servers.

Ya, not so clear. Maybe tomorrow I run a check with Astrill.

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Initially I can't when I was using OpenVPN or OpenWeb then I read it somewhere in this thread that I need to use StealthVPN in order to stream contents from China and it works.

StealthVPN only works with PC/Mac/Linux, can't use it on mobile devices as the mobile app doesn't have StealthVPN or OpenVPN.

Try signing up for 7-day free trial first. Usually free trial don't have StealthVPN but no harm online chat with them and see if they can let you try the StealthVPN for a few days.

You don't need RouterPro to run StealthVPN.

RouterPro is an Astrill applet that you can install on certain router with customised firmware, e.g. ASUS with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware or router with DD-WRT firmware.

I installed the RouterPro on my ASUS AC87U router and was able to stream Netflix on my Apple TV in full HD.

Thanks for the explanation. But what is the feature or function for the RouterPro?

stiwipl

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. But what is the feature or function for the RouterPro?

@oric1 has confused it all. Astrill applet is free to use, you can install it on any supported firmware which is Merlin, DD-WRT and Tomato. You don't need to buy RouterPRO to use Astrill applet and its features. However you will use a standard OpenVPN protocol on the Astrill's applet, which is less efficient and slower. RouterPRO is optimized version of OpenVPN, which is faster. How faster? Well in my experience even 2-4 times, it depends. I was getting fantastic speeds via router's applet back in 2013 in Singapore (on Asus RT-AC56U) :)

6euWGKu.png

trepies

Reaction score
am currently with ASTRILL and v happy with the performance so far. But then i Saw the lifetime deal with pureVPN. worth the switch? any bro try both before?

chercm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
am currently with ASTRILL and v happy with the performance so far. But then i Saw the lifetime deal with pureVPN. worth the switch? any bro try both before?

it is not life time . it is for 5 years

chercm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
arh. the small print. i knew it cant be such a good deal. thanks for pointing it out =)

But nevertheless it is a great deal but need to know the performance first . hope it is not like Astrill

any one can share please ?

schlep

Reaction score
But nevertheless it is a great deal but need to know the performance first . hope it is not like Astrill

any one can share please ?

After 5 years, we can apparantly message MakeUseOf Deals to send another code. But i think by that time, we either forget we can do that or maybe the website might disappear. But 5 years still quite long.

I find PureVPN speed not as fast as PIA but they have quite a lot of servers worldwide. They have this feature where u can choose which application to be on VPN while the rest goes through the normal connection.

ilOmbr4

Reaction score
Been testing Astrill for a while now. Getting speeds in excess of 100mbps when connected to servers in US San Francisco. PIA gives me around 25mbps.

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is Astrill 1 year 29.99 a good deal?

Come with Stealth VPN. But it allows only 1 desk/laptop and 1 mobile device. Can I top up to add 1 more laptop?

Dreaming

Reaction score
Astrill VPN - private ips can do what with it?
- NAT firewall is it a good option to purchase that?

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@oric1 has confused it all. Astrill applet is free to use, you can install it on any supported firmware which is Merlin, DD-WRT and Tomato. You don't need to buy RouterPRO to use Astrill applet and its features. However you will use a standard OpenVPN protocol on the Astrill's applet, which is less efficient and slower. RouterPRO is optimized version of OpenVPN, which is faster. How faster? Well in my experience even 2-4 times, it depends. I was getting fantastic speeds via router's applet back in 2013 in Singapore (on Asus RT-AC56U) :)

6euWGKu.png

Oh. Then like that it seems like RouterPro is actually essential for an enjoyable experience. Thanks for the advise.

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is Astrill 1 year 29.99 a good deal?

Come with Stealth VPN. But it allows only 1 desk/laptop and 1 mobile device. Can I top up to add 1 more laptop?

OMG. This kind of VPN subscription price is standard for 1 PC only?
I though is for every PC connected to my internet connection? NO?
Then the Freedom VPN that came with ViewQwest is for how many PC? So far all my 5 PC including the ViewQwest TVbox is VPN able.

Last edited:

salmonella

Reaction score
Which services are able to access China content without buffering problems during peak hours?

- does Astrill work? oric1 able to comment?

- does PureVPN work since they claim to have 6 servers in China?

- How about Unotelly UnoDNS, since they claim to support pptv, youku, xiami, baidu music, etc? This one should have best performance since it uses SmartDNS?

oric1

Reaction score

6euWGKu.png

stiwipl is right :) Sorry, I was not thinking straight yesterday.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.