[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC88U

SimonLam

Reaction score
You should see the latest firmware from Asus_sg somewhere earlier in this thread

midlusionz

Reaction score
Just an update. After upgrading the firmware to 941 provided earlier by ASUS@SG the game boost tab is out. Will try the firmware a few days see how is it

vagus1978

Reaction score
Just an update. After upgrading the firmware to 941 provided earlier by ASUS@SG the game boost tab is out. Will try the firmware a few days see how is it

I am in the same situation as you. Out of the box, the firmware updater function states that I already have the latest firmware after clicking on it to check.
I also do not have the Game boost tab. Since I don't play online games, it is a function I am not really concerned about.
But thanks for the heads up that the firmware updater function is cranky and we should not rely on it for the absolute latest firmware.
:D

vagus1978

Reaction score
need help here:
(--- 1G connection)
(== 2G connection, ie Link Aggregation/Trunk/bond)

Setup A: AC88U -------HP Procurve 1810-24G ===Synology 1511+
Works

Setup B: AC88U ===X===HP Procurve 1810-24G ===Synology 1511+
Doesn't work

I enabled trunking/bond/LA on both the AC88U and my HP switch.

Is there anything wrong with my setup B?

Rephrase my convoluted question here (hope to get some answers)

Can AC88U Link Aggregate/Tunk/Bond to a managed switch? I cannot seem to be able to get it to work.

AC88U === Synology NAS.......OK
AC88U === HP Procurve Switch.........NOT OK
HP Procurve Switch === Synology NAS........OK

midlusionz

Reaction score
I am in the same situation as you. Out of the box, the firmware updater function states that I already have the latest firmware after clicking on it to check.
I also do not have the Game boost tab. Since I don't play online games, it is a function I am not really concerned about.
But thanks for the heads up that the firmware updater function is cranky and we should not rely on it for the absolute latest firmware.
NP man! Just real puzzled when it said its the updated and i went to google the firmware its like ac66u firmware lol but i might be wrong. Gonma tru the wtfast function tonight. Not having high hope cos i think its still in beta

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Dear all,

As you guys know how we name our firmware version.

Beta Version
We will give number 9 at the first number for beta releasing.

Example:
Official Release: RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_380_8825-g79cb7d9.trx
Beta Release : RT-AC87U_9.0.0.4_380_8825-g79cb7d9.trx

However, we will stop posting any beta firmware.

We will select 3 users to assist us to test the beta firmware and new features.

The user must stay in Singapore and provide me your ISP.

Best regard,
JK

Last edited:

m0neytree

Reaction score
so whats the latest firmware that I can update into my ac88u? from asus sg web the latest firmware is Version 3.0.0.4.380.858, but theres a comment here stating RT-AC88U_3.0.0.4_380_941... hmmmm

Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so whats the latest firmware that I can update into my ac88u? from asus sg web the latest firmware is Version 3.0.0.4.380.858, but theres a comment here stating RT-AC88U_3.0.0.4_380_941... hmmmm

941 is a beta firmware. You can try it, it's supposed to be stable enough..

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
941 is a beta firmware. You can try it, it's supposed to be stable enough..

Dear all

941 is official build

We only fix Singtel VLAN that all.

I would suggest waiting for upcoming official build.

Best regard,
JK

rayshaw23

Reaction score
sorry, a noob here. I am on singtel 500mbps. I have a singtel ONT and the aztech router that singtel provided. And I recently bought the asus ac88u but having trouble connecting to the internet using the ac88u.

my connections

Fibre box - ONT(lan 1) - ac88u(wan port) - laptop

I am stuck at the internet configurations. I've tried both 'singtel - mio' and 'singtel others' and still unable to connect my asus router. can anyone share any light?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sorry, a noob here. I am on singtel 500mbps. I have a singtel ONT and the aztech router that singtel provided. And I recently bought the asus ac88u but having trouble connecting to the internet using the ac88u.

my connections

Fibre box - ONT(lan 1) - ac88u(wan port) - laptop

I am stuck at the internet configurations. I've tried both 'singtel - mio' and 'singtel others' and still unable to connect my asus router. can anyone share any light?

You might be running the older firmware which has an issue with the singtel vlan setting. Make sure u download the firmware version 941 below and update the firmware. It should work fine till then.

Do make sure u didn't plug into port 3 or port 4 for ur laptop, because the firmware reserves port 3 for VOIP and port 4 for singtel tv if u choose the profile singtel-mio. If u choose singtel-others, port 4 is solely for singtel tv.

Hope this helps..

rayshaw23

Reaction score
thank you. How can I update my router to a newer firmware?
the only way for my laptop to be connected to the internet is to use both singtel ONT and singtel router.

i have checked my router firmware to be 3.0.0.4.378_8597.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thank you. How can I update my router to a newer firmware?
the only way for my laptop to be connected to the internet is to use both singtel ONT and singtel router.

i have checked my router firmware to be 3.0.0.4.378_8597.

8597 might have an issue with singtel's vlan. i recommend you to download from here:
Download

its a relatively small update.. you can download to your phone then transfer to laptop..

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
When i do a "check" under adminstration it said its having the latest too.

Just for some heads up,

If one is using the ASUSWRT Firmware checker, it's might not be the latest firmware release as it will take some time to propagate among the ASUS download servers or ASUS TW has not circulate their latest firmware release as yet.

One should just go to the ASUS router support page to check what firmware releases are the latest. If the release version starts @ 9.0.0.4.XXX or marked beta, it's beta firmware or if the release version starts @ 3.0.0.4.380.XXX it's the official firmware build.

midlusionz

Reaction score
Now all make sense. Thanks for confirming that

Just for some heads up,

If one is using the ASUSWRT Firmware checker, it's might not be the latest firmware release as it will take some time to propagate among the ASUS download servers or ASUS TW has not circulate their latest firmware release as yet.

One should just go to the ASUS router support page to check what firmware releases are the latest. If the release version starts @ 9.0.0.4.XXX or marked beta, it's beta firmware or if the release version starts @ 3.0.0.4.380.XXX it's the official firmware build.

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
need help here:
(--- 1G connection)
(== 2G connection, ie Link Aggregation/Trunk/bond)

Setup A: AC88U -------HP Procurve 1810-24G ===Synology 1511+
Works

Setup B: AC88U ===X===HP Procurve 1810-24G ===Synology 1511+
Doesn't work

I enabled trunking/bond/LA on both the AC88U and my HP switch.

Is there anything wrong with my setup B?

Rephrase my convoluted question here (hope to get some answers)

Can AC88U Link Aggregate/Tunk/Bond to a managed switch? I cannot seem to be able to get it to work.

AC88U === Synology NAS.......OK
AC88U === HP Procurve Switch.........NOT OK
HP Procurve Switch === Synology NAS........OK

Nope, you are not able to do link aggregation with anything else (i.e managed switches, dual GbE LAN from PC) besides NASes (ASUStor/Synology/QNAP) with the ASUS RT-AC88U due to Broadcom's (proprietary and closed sourced) LACP implementation.

From Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation#Proprietary_link_aggregation

Proprietary link aggregation

In addition to the IEEE link aggregation substandards, there are a number of proprietary aggregation schemes including Cisco's EtherChannel and Port Aggregation Protocol, Juniper's Aggregated Ethernet, AVAYA's Multi-Link Trunking, Split Multi-Link Trunking, Routed Split Multi-Link Trunking and Distributed Split Multi-Link Trunking, ZTE's "Smartgroup", Huawei's "Eth-Trunk", or Connectify's Speedify.[8] Most high-end network devices support some kind of link aggregation, and software-based implementations – such as the *BSD lagg package, Linux bonding driver, Solaris dladm aggr, etc. – also exist for many operating systems.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.