Recommendation: Reliable workshops in JB

shank118

Reaction score
try ah wee along jalan dato sulaiman.

but if only a fix, why need to go in?

they might rather you buy something from them and they install for you..... this way their inventory leaves the shop.. rather than just fix everyone's problems... how to operate business....

Thanks bro. Seems like it is right opposite ksl there? What you say is true. Since I'm actually going in to run some errands, thought might as well do it there. Unless I decide to change HU or something. Mine can only play CDs haha.

famasutika

Reaction score
Tried that shop. Initially for new customers, they appeared to be friendly and helpful. But after a while, you will notice that their product quality is inferior and servicing level drops. Not recommended.

cobragold

Reaction score
For a very realiable workshop Mechanic,go to the petrol station opposite Pelangi mall, Petron station. The mech there is called ah Huat, he is very good. Let him know that thomas recommended you. Driving currently an axio. You can bring your own parts etc from Sg for him to fix. Be careful as now the Jb customs open every car boot, if you bring parts you must hide them otherwise they will tax you. Anybody know how much you can bring into Jb without paying tax.

Sorry should be Pelangi plaza, the pink building

yanbros

Master Member
Reaction score
I heard before my friend buy TV into Malaysia. He just slot $50Rm in between the TV. Coz the TV is so big , it can't be hidden. Surely will get taxed. If he see and take he $50 then case close, if not prepare to pay tax. Just give a rough value if your parts. As long as you pay, they won't disturb you .

AL5509

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
try ah wee along jalan dato sulaiman.

but if only a fix, why need to go in?

they might rather you buy something from them and they install for you..... this way their inventory leaves the shop.. rather than just fix everyone's problems... how to operate business....
Just spotted this post and like to share my 'bad experience' about this Ah WEE (opp KSL).

I bought 3rd party alarm and plan to bring it in JB to get it done (as labour cost is cheaper there thou).

Was there rather early then as wasn't caught in any jam in.
Ah Wee shop open pretty early at 9+am which I think most shop start around/after 10am.

Asked him about the cost of installation as I wanted to do a boot-release with it too(it a given yet optional function).

He quoted me installing of alarm at rm180 and if I need to do the boot function additional rm80.
Total of rm260, which I feel it not cheap at all (almost the price to install in sg thou).
So I politely told him I will think about it and was to leave.
He then, said if I do now he charge rm60 for boot release cost which I still declined and said will think about it.

Went for breakfast and drive around.
asked a 2 other workshops, both quote me rm150.

I do not know how 'good' the workmanship of this AH WEE can be but for sure am not paying for the price quoted(close to SG rate wor)

So be warned when going there to get things done.
If got time to spare, try to compare a few workshops.

Just my 2cents worth for what happened just recently(less than 1 month).

yanbros

Master Member
Reaction score
Just spotted this post and like to share my 'bad experience' about this Ah WEE (opp KSL).

I bought 3rd party alarm and plan to bring it in JB to get it done (as labour cost is cheaper there thou).

Was there rather early then as wasn't caught in any jam in.
Ah Wee shop open pretty early at 9+am which I think most shop start around/after 10am.

Asked him about the cost of installation as I wanted to do a boot-release with it too(it a given yet optional function).

He quoted me installing of alarm at rm180 and if I need to do the boot function additional rm80.
Total of rm260, which I feel it not cheap at all (almost the price to install in sg thou).
So I politely told him I will think about it and was to leave.
He then, said if I do now he charge rm60 for boot release cost which I still declined and said will think about it.

Went for breakfast and drive around.
asked a 2 other workshops, both quote me rm150.

I do not know how 'good' the workmanship of this AH WEE can be but for sure am not paying for the price quoted(close to SG rate wor)

So be warned when going there to get things done.
If got time to spare, try to compare a few workshops.

Just my 2cents worth for what happened just recently(less than 1 month).

It's good to know what sg charges. Like for your case, you did your homework. Even in sg itself, you'll have to check with different ws to get quotes first.

puzzled_06

Reaction score
any lobang for panel beating? jb? hawk tyre seem quite a big chain.
any reccommendation? got a dent in my door by a reversing vehicle.

AL5509

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's good to know what sg charges. Like for your case, you did your homework. Even in sg itself, you'll have to check with different ws to get quotes first.
Ya the fact is that, some of them(Malaysia workshops) take advantage of Singaporean's thinking that, we always feel whatever price they offered is 'cheap'....so they just quote a higher price to us(compare to Malaysia or Malaysia do not even go these shops)), thinking that most Singaporean will still bite their bait.

If not, it maybe believe their skills is not there yet, so charged more as they need more time & effort to do it. :/

So whatever the reasons it is, I will rather do it in SG if it not much cheaper ba.

Choice is still ourself to chose.
Spend your money wisely oversea.

sinicker

Master Member
Reaction score
thanks for sharing on your experience at Ah Wee. guess their knives are sharper now.

i myself have stopped going in to JB. feel like it is not worth kena unpredictable jams nowadays..

think need to go deeper into Johor. how about Permas Jaya? anyone go in till there before?

yanbros

Master Member
Reaction score
thanks for sharing on your experience at Ah Wee. guess their knives are sharper now.

i myself have stopped going in to JB. feel like it is not worth kena unpredictable jams nowadays..

think need to go deeper into Johor. how about Permas Jaya? anyone go in till there before?
Sentosa topspeed exhaust or skudai ys motorsports. Both I visit still OK pricing.

AL5509

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what should be the price range for labour on engine mounting change?

What car are you driving?

I ever enquire about mine.
& I found better deal for it to be done in SG compare to JB wor.
SG workshop offered $120 and think JB workshop offered RM350(the rate was like ~2.8 then).
With the few dollar different, of course I did mine in SG thou.

So imho, it is not always that JB labour cost is cheaper(depend on what is done and which workshops you goes in both Sg & Jb).

But for sure the basis servicing, the labour fee in JB is much cheaper.

Best still to ask around.

wisco

Reaction score
I need to change the timing belt of my KIA Cerato.

Any JB workshop to recommend? And roughly how much?

TIA

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.