The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I come across a video showing blue protective lenses reflecting UV radiation into the eyes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCiTMOd7iEw&feature=youtu.be

A thread talking about it http://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...-s-Bluecontrol?p=510318&viewfull=1#post510318

Seems like they are saying that lens coating on the side near the wearer will reflect UV into the eye. Now I am wondering if the blue protective lenses actually harms the eyes more.

Brudder... seems like the salesman never explain to you that essilor prevencia is coated on the outer surface and not the inner lens surface so harmful blue lights are not reflected back into yur eyes. Hoya blue control has both sides coated though. Not sure abt zeiss. To me the choice is very clear. Essilor is also the cheapest among all for my prescription.

Last edited:

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A sales person told me Eyezen does not work if the screen is directly in front of me, because only the lower half part lens has the eyezen thing (lesser myopia power), eyezen only useful if looking at an angle downwards like the tablet on table, phone on hand. the upper half of eyezen lens is same like prevencia.

I am wondering if your LCD screen is parallel to your face straight up in front of you, and you look at the lower part of the LCD screen through eyezen lens what do you see?

Im not really sure if its really lower myopic prescription on lower part of lens. Essilor website only mentioned "imperceptible extra power zone that supports demanding focusing effort". Salesgal told me only when yur eyes get really tired then you see better clearer. If eyes not tired maybe not so good effect bah. Or maybe thats why they selling eyezen cheaper? Marketing?

By the way my screen is not parellel straight at my face. I use laptop at work so im always looking down.

Last edited:

super365

Master Member
Reaction score
Brudder... seems like the salesman never explain to you that essilor prevencia is coated on the outer surface and not the inner lens surface so harmful blue lights are not reflected back into yur eyes. Hoya blue control has both sides coated though. Not sure abt zeiss. To me the choice is very clear. Essilor is also the cheapest among all for my prescription.

I am no expert, I am just sharing that the video shows that the blue rays are reflected to the eye. 1.33min of the video shows a quick experiment that the inner lens side reflect blue rays that cause the dummy eye to have a burnt area where the blue rays are reflected. Video total did 3 experiment with same results showing dummy eye burnt.

I understand that the UV coating is on the outer lens and inner lens surface of prevencia lens, I guess maybe double side UV coating causes reflection on the inner side even though Prevencia coating is on the outer surface only.

super365

Master Member
Reaction score
Im not really sure if its really lower myopic prescription on lower part of lens. Essilor website only mentioned "imperceptible extra power zone that supports demanding focusing effort". Salesgal told me only when yur eyes get really tired then you see better clearer. If eyes not tired maybe not so good effect bah. Or maybe thats why they selling eyezen cheaper? Marketing?

By the way my screen is not parellel straight at my face. I use laptop at work so im always looking down.

When your eyes are not tired, is the feeling of wearing Eyezen the same as wearing Prevencia?

Did your eyes feel less tired after wearing whole day Eyezen than prevencia?

Eyezen is more expensive by $50 than Prevencia (both 1.56 thickness for low myopia and asti), according to the crizal price book that the sales person showed me.

Maybe you have some promotions or high degree so pricing is different.

GegeV2

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Where did you guys went to make your Eyezen or Prevencia

N how long it took?

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am no expert, I am just sharing that the video shows that the blue rays are reflected to the eye. 1.33min of the video shows a quick experiment that the inner lens side reflect blue rays that cause the dummy eye to have a burnt area where the blue rays are reflected. Video total did 3 experiment with same results showing dummy eye burnt.

I understand that the UV coating is on the outer lens and inner lens surface of prevencia lens, I guess maybe double side UV coating causes reflection on the inner side even though Prevencia coating is on the outer surface only.

Are u discussing abt harmful effects of UV coat or prevencia coat now? 2 different coatings leh.

Anyway most lenses have UV coating nowadays and im seldom outdoors so UV coat not such a concern for me. Prevencia coat really did help me see better though. Less glaring. Less tired. More relaxed eyes.

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Where did you guys went to make your Eyezen or Prevencia

N how long it took?

I ordered mine at an optical shop. Guess the lab will make for me. How long it takes i guess depends how fast the worker handling my lenses works lor. If he eat snake then wait longer.

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Eyezen is more expensive by $50 than Prevencia (both 1.56 thickness for low myopia and asti), according to the crizal price book that the sales person showed me.

Maybe you have some promotions or high degree so pricing is different.

Yes mine is RX. Last year mine cost $570. This year inflation drops. I oni pay $350 got crizal, prevencia and zen. All in one. I hope my lao hua comes late cos will need to pay 1k+

Denierx

Reaction score
yes, I also experience the same thing as you initially. Just need to get used to it for a week, if after that still the same effect then you'll have to go back to your optician for advice.

I'm also having this issue. Not sure whether is it eyes not used to HOYA lens. Been wearing it for few days and at times eyes cannot focus well, also feel slight giddiness.
Previously was using Crizal without any issues.

super365

Master Member
Reaction score
Are u discussing abt harmful effects of UV coat or prevencia coat now? 2 different coatings leh.

Anyway most lenses have UV coating nowadays and im seldom outdoors so UV coat not such a concern for me. Prevencia coat really did help me see better though. Less glaring. Less tired. More relaxed eyes.

I am discussing about Prevencia reflecting more UV into the eyes. The video shows blue coated lens reflection causes stronger UV reflection towards eye than normal non blue coated lens. Blue reflected areas shows burnt area on the Photochromic lenses after some time. Photochromic lenses acting as eyes on the dummy prove UV rays presence as it turns dark on the areas that blue light is reflected onto it.

I agree Prevencia coat helps me see better and less tired and feels good, but if more UV rays is reflected into the eye, I rather use non prevencia lens. Some indoor lighting do give off uv.

Last edited:

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am discussing about Prevencia reflecting more UV into the eyes. The video shows blue coated lens reflection causes stronger UV reflection towards eye than normal non blue coated lens. Blue reflected areas shows burnt area on the Photochromic lenses after some time. Photochromic lenses acting as eyes on the dummy prove UV rays presence as it turns dark on the areas that blue light is reflected onto it.

I agree Prevencia coat helps me see better and less tired and feels good, but if more UV rays is reflected into the eye, I rather use non prevencia lens. Some indoor lighting do give off uv.

But prevencia coat is on the outer lens surface, how to reflect into yur eyes??

And the man in the video is doing testing on hoya blue lens and not essilor prevencia lens. Hoya has blue coat on both sides of lenses so thats why that guy doing tests on hoya lens.

Last edited:

super365

Master Member
Reaction score
But prevencia coat is on the outer lens surface, how to reflect into yur eyes??

And the man in the video is doing testing on hoya blue lens and not essilor prevencia lens. Hoya has blue coat on both sides of lenses so thats why that guy doing tests on hoya lens.

I put a piece of white paper on table, put inner lens side (the lens side that is nearer the wearer eyes) facing table and I shine a light towards inner lens side and I see purple reflection off the inner lens side showing up on the paper.
YBBUuJh.jpg

I guess even though the prevencia coating even is at the front part of the lens, the back side also have same prevencia effect since the lens is transparent.

I am just a normal user sharing my thoughts, so I may be wrong on how the exact lens work vs my assumption. The guy in the video shows that the purple reflection is reflecting UV rays, so I am assuming maybe that is the same with my Prevencia too since it reflect purple rays at inner side.

While looking for more info about hoya bluecontrol lens, it seems like I do not see anywhere say that blue control is coated both sides. I see this hoya bluecontrol video the lens diagram seems like showing only the front part is coated blue, 0.40min https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czha27eUcfE

Last edited:

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My optician told me that hoya blue coat on both sides of lens while essilor prevencia on one side only. She is the professional so got to trust lor. But im seldom outdoors so im not worried. If u worried better wear sunglasses or cap much better. For me im indoors more often so blue light more of concern to me.

randomagenda

Reaction score
clubmaster inspired spectacles

any suggestion where can i get a clubmaster inspired spectacles design?
not looking for the rayban spectacles :D
8.jpg

liteScribble

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i just brought something like that in korea. =)

im looking to stick in some high index lenses for 2 frames which i brought from korea. On my current i have some zeiss len.

I'm pretty keen in kodak ones. anyone has any experience with kodak?

Last edited:

EMPt1ness

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Im mid 20s this year. Looking for lobang to get fashionable frames and good lenses. My eye degree quite high, about 900 plus. (My eyes not suitable to do lasik when i went for the test earlier last year...)

Anyone can recommend a place for me to make new spectacles? Costs not the biggest issue, since I can claim the partial amounts from my compny :)

exclusiv3

Reaction score
just did mine at holiday plaza, sun ray @ level 2, beside a hair product shop. i did a titanium frame + "good lens" (as stated by the owner cost 160 myr, while normal lens is 80 myr) for 450 myr.

while my gf made a cheap and very light plastic frame; 150myr. Lens, 250 myr for 1.6 HI bcos her degree is ard 800. so total is 400 myr.

i feel that the owner is not a professional optician, he read out the number and alphabet while giving me an eye test, LOL.

just wondering is it consider cheap?

crunsik

Reaction score
anyone can recommend where to buy RAY-BAN RB3025 - LARGE METAL AVIATOR SUNGLASSES in Singapore? Spectacle hut selling for $250. is this price ok? TIA

Wander

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have question.

I recently brought my glasses that comes with Hoya, ophthalmic lens.

How do i identify if the hoya lens are authentic?

Thanks in advance!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.