RESMED for sleep apnea? Any comments?

Shu

Reaction score
I too would avoid surgery, even "simple" procedures. There's no guarantee of success and it's invasive. I had/have deviated nasal septum and surgery didn't fix it. It gradually came back. Not as bad, but not a complete fix. It might have made my sleep apnea better as thinking about it, I used to need an afternoon nap before the surgery but less so after. But I still felt tired.

If the CPAP treatment works, stick with it, even if it's troublesome. I find that after you develop your own system and routine, you get used to it.

The question then is whether it works for you. I don't know if most people feel immediately better once they start using a CPAP. I didn't. But I'm sticking with it as I gather it might take time. It's only been about 2 months for me, and the first few weeks were bumpy as I tried to get used to it.

Keeping records is helpful. Dreant mentioned SleepyHead, which is a nice piece of software which helps record the facts of each night's sleep from your CPAP machine. If you can, keep a journal of how you felt and take note of what you did, or didn't do, that may have resulted in how you felt. You'll eventually see a pattern. Then you try to reproduce what you did when you recorded a good night's sleep.

What also helps is if you minimise other causes of poor sleep. Look up "sleep hygiene" and try to meet those standards. If allergies bother you, then try to minimise them. I too rinse my nasal passages. But I use the squirt bottle by Neilmed. It works quite well. And the salt packets are convenient.

Finally, there's exercise. If you're on the hefty side, losing weight can help minimise apneas. Even if you're not, regular exercise is good for your general well-being.

addict951

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
Shu & dreant, so y'all sleep wif your CPAP machine every nite?
So did your quality of sleep improve noticeably? ie. you wake up now feeling much fresher than b4? One thing I want to ask: since sleep apnea causes hypertension, do you have hypertension and is it lower now due to your usage of the CPAP machine. Are you also on hypertension medication (if you have hypertension)?

Is there anybody here who has or suspect you have sleep apnea and do not have a body weight problem? :look: I mean, generally sleep apnea afflicts ppl with weight problem more than slim ppl? :look:
(Sorry if my language is insensitive.)

Shu

Reaction score
Hi Addict,

I feel slightly better, but can't say it's a huge difference. Still monitoring. Sometimes it takes a while. Everyone's different. The sad fact of CPAP treatment is its upfront cost is quite high, it's a bit inconvenient, and some patients may not see any benefit. Unfortunately, the only way to find out is to try it. Some local vendors offer to loan you a machine for a "free" 1 month trial if you buy the mask for "hygiene reasons". But the mask is marked up (anywhere between $150 to $350!).

I'm not on any hypertension medication. Sleep apnea can be a risk factor of hypertension, but having one does not mean you'll have the other.

Bigger sized people tend to be associated with sleep apnea because of the physical nature of the condition. That said, even people with a healthy body weight can have sleep apnea. Everyone's different. Only way to find out is to do a sleep study.

Shu & dreant, so y'all sleep wif your CPAP machine every nite?
So did your quality of sleep improve noticeably? ie. you wake up now feeling much fresher than b4? One thing I want to ask: since sleep apnea causes hypertension, do you have hypertension and is it lower now due to your usage of the CPAP machine. Are you also on hypertension medication (if you have hypertension)?

Is there anybody here who has or suspect you have sleep apnea and do not have a body weight problem? :look: I mean, generally sleep apnea afflicts ppl with weight problem more than slim ppl? :look:
(Sorry if my language is insensitive.)

dreant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No, I don't use it every night. There are phases where I use, and stop using it. Mainly, it's the inconvenience that puts me off using it. (The cleaning, and I don't always sleep very well with it...) But, most often, I stop using it after a trip (where I had to pack and move it, and then I usually don't bother to unpack and start using it again...)

But yes, when I do use it, I wake up very much well rested. It should be a good reason for me to keep using it, but sometimes it's just a chore... I always use it on my trips, because I'm there for work, and a good night rest is essential; but on some nights, the mask does bother me. I have 3 different masks, and rotating between them sometimes helps. Unfortunately, my favorite mask is the one that fell apart first, and it doesn't work well anymore...

You're at higher risk of hypertension (and a whole bunch of other ailments) if you have OSA; but it doesn't mean that OSA causes it. I've never been checked for it, and am not on any medications for it.

My current weight is about 80kg, I was previously around 95. (my weight loss started about 1.5 years ago, when I started regular exercise; it dropped for about the first 8 months, then stabilized to my current weight)

Shu

Reaction score
Hello,

Several users have written to me asking for details on how to import a CPAP machine. I've decided to reproduce one of my replies here for everyone's benefit!

The process for importing the CPAP machine is very straight forward. The whole process takes just under a week from ordering to delivery through the vendor I used.

There are only 4 steps.

The first thing you need to get is a letter from your doctor. All it needs to say is you’ve been diagnosed with OSA (or any sleep disorder) and he’s prescribed you treatment with a CPAP machine. Or something to that effect. It can be quite a short memo. My doctor wrote it on the spot, and it didn’t seem like it was the first time he was writing one. Once you get it, scan it into a soft copy.

Next, order your machine. I use http://1800cpap.com/ for four reasons. First, they sell to international customers without needing to see a prescription. Don’t worry, they’re legitimate. It’s just that US Federal Law only requires machines sent to a US address to be accompanied by a prescription, not exports. Second, their FedEx 3 day shipping rates are very competitive. I paid US$50 I think for my machine which was a few KG and quite bulky. While US$50 isn’t a small sum, it’s cheap considering it’s a 3 day door-to-door delivery by FedEx for a rather bulky item. Third, their prices are competitive and I’ve never been let down by them. Fourth, there’s a 10% discount code which you can use. Just enter “take10” when you check out.

After your place your order, take note of the FedEx number.

You can now apply for the free HSA license. First, download and complete this form.

The “HS Code” which the form asks for is 90192000.

Do note that every CPAP related device needs its own approval. So if you’re buying a machine and a mask, make sure both have their own entries in the form (you will notice the form allows you to do this).

Email the following to HSA_MD_SA@hsa.gov.sg :

1. The completed HSA form
2. The receipt/invoice from your vendor
3. A copy of your NRIC (front and back)
4. Your doctor’s letter

You’ll receive an acknowledgement email. In a few days (could be as fast as the next day) you’ll receive another email stating you’ve been granted permission.

When your FedEx delivery reaches Singapore, the local office will call or send you an email informing you that you need a HSA license. This is why it’s best to write to HSA right after you order so that you have import permission by the time the machine arrives in Singapore.

All you need to do then is to forward the HSA email to FedEx. The agent who liaises with you will provide you his/her email address.

Note that this doesn’t always happen. I once bought a CPAP mask that went through customs without any hassle. But another time, my machine was stopped, and I’m pretty sure yours will be too. So better safe than sorry!

Once FedEx receives the HSA permission slip, the delivery will be arranged.

The last thing you need to do is pay 7% GST as your machine has a declared value of over S$400. FedEx will pay for it first, then bill you later with a $10 admin fee! No choice, that’s how it works. So expect a bill from FedEx within a month of delivery.

There’s a little bit of paperwork that has to be done but it’s quite straight-forward. I’ve bought items from 1800-CPAP three times now and I’ve had no problems with any of the steps.

Last edited:

XiaoZen

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sorry to bump this old thread.

just came back from sleep study. need to wait 2 weeks for official result.

The nurse/technician say severe. I have difficulty sleeping with all the wires, but once i managed to doze off, i start to apnea.

UPPP sounds painful. since i'm obese, i dun think it will help alot..

in fact, obese and sleep apnea is linked rather than obese caused sleep apnea. It could be another way round, as sleep apnea disrupt your hormonal balance. That's why i notice my weight gain to be severe only this 1 yr.

Last edited:

Shu

Reaction score
Hello,

If diagnosed with OSA, then the most effective form of treatment is CPAP and losing weight. Surgery is not guaranteed. There;s also a chance that with lost of weight the OSA will get better, perhaps even normal.

And you're right, obesity and OSA are linked.

So best to see the condition holistically. Unfortunately cannot be solved by taking medicine or surgery alone.

Let us know what your sleep study says. If need CPAP, it's quite straight forward, but will take time to get used to the machine. Unfortunately most ppl give up because it's uncomfortable and inconvenient, then the problem continues.

sorry to bump this old thread.

just came back from sleep study. need to wait 2 weeks for official result.

The nurse/technician say severe. I have difficulty sleeping with all the wires, but once i managed to doze off, i start to apnea.

in fact, obese and sleep apnea is linked rather than obese caused sleep apnea. It could be another way round, as sleep apnea disrupt your hormonal balance. That's why i notice my weight gain to be severe only this 1 yr.

dreant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

UPPP *is* painful. It redefined the meaning of pain for me.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the worst pain I could imagine; I would say the post-op UPPP pain ranged between 40 to 80 or so...

You know, how doctors always say 'this isn't going to hurt' and how much it actually hurts? Now imagine, UPPP is a surgery that doctors tell you 'this will hurt'... :eek:

The other downside I had was, I lost some sense of taste. To date, I can't tell what exactly I can't taste - all I know is my sense of taste for *some* sweet things changed significantly.

For example, now, coke tastes like water; but root beer and chocolate taste the same.

It doesn't affect everyone, and my doctor only told me about it after the fact - 'oh yes, this does affect a small percentage of patients... It might come back after a few months.' Mine never did. The upside was, I've lost a fair bit of weight after that, because food doesn't taste that great anymore, and I find myself eating much less. :s22:

IMO, it's a hit or miss. UPPP didn't work for me. :(

palaboy

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I recently got diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and need to get a CPAP machine. I was wondering whether it be better to get it here (for the 2-year warranty) or buy online.

I'm considering getting the new Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet. I was told by the local distributor that the machine requires regular maintenance or servicing that will be done by them under warranty. Is this true?

Care to share your experiences on your CPAP machines.

Thanks for the advice.

Shu

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I recently got diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and need to get a CPAP machine. I was wondering whether it be better to get it here (for the 2-year warranty) or buy online.

I'm considering getting the new Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet. I was told by the local distributor that the machine requires regular maintenance or servicing that will be done by them under warranty. Is this true?

Care to share your experiences on your CPAP machines.

Thanks for the advice.

It's much cheaper to buy it online. 50% savings, if not more. Even if you have to pay for service it's still a better deal. You also don't have to service it that regularly. Google and you'll see CPAP machines are generally quite low maintenance.

I'm using the S9 Autoset. It's an older version of the Airsense 10. Cheaper, and as good. Don't need the newer features. Again, Google for reviews and make your own decision. For me, it came down to price and the quality of therapy provided. Didn't need the extra bells and whistles.

You might need to go to a local distributor to buy your mask as it's quite a personal thing. There are also several types to choose from. Best if you can try them on before you buy. Can't do that if you buy online. But again, much cheaper than buying locally.

dreant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

No, it isn't.

Resmed: Caring for your equipment
Makes no mention of 'regular servicing'. You do need to clean, and replace your filters regularly however, and clean your masks daily. These are regular things that you can (and must) do on your own.

Resmed: S10 Autoset clinical guide, on Page 39:
Servicing
The AirSense 10 device is intended to provide safe and reliable operation when operated in accordance with the instructions provided by ResMed. ResMed recommends that the AirSense 10 device be inspected and serviced by an authorized ResMed Service Centre if there is any sign of wear or concern with device function. Otherwise, service and inspection of the products generally should not be required during their design life.

This 'regular servicing' is something that only happens here, and I see it as a way to discourage people from parallel imports (for much, much cheaper)...

The main thing to be aware of is the lack of warranty, and in the event there is an issue, you may need to ship your unit back - even then, at 50%++ savings, you could buy a second unit, and still be ahead of buying it locally.

Last edited:

derazor

Banned
Reaction score
Hello,

If diagnosed with OSA, then the most effective form of treatment is CPAP and losing weight. Surgery is not guaranteed. There;s also a chance that with lost of weight the OSA will get better, perhaps even normal.

And you're right, obesity and OSA are linked.

So best to see the condition holistically. Unfortunately cannot be solved by taking medicine or surgery alone.

Let us know what your sleep study says. If need CPAP, it's quite straight forward, but will take time to get used to the machine. Unfortunately most ppl give up because it's uncomfortable and inconvenient, then the problem continues.

I was overweight ( BMI 28 ) when I see dr for snoring and dr actually asked me went to do a sleep test. Since the sleep test takes time to organized , about a month.

I was already on an LCHF diet. Before my test, my BMI was 24.6 and my sleep apnea is very mild. Dr told me a lot of methods ( operation, special sleep pillow , machine etc ) and I asked her what would she recommend. She said maintain my condition and come back for a follow up.

Now my BMI is 24 and I hope that it will improve even further.

So, seriously go for a diet. It helps your back too.

palaboy

Reaction score
Thanks Shu and dreant for the advice. You guys have been very helpful.

I just placed an order at 1800cpap and will follow Shu's detailed instructions on the next steps. I ordered the the AirSense 10 and two masks (Philips wisp mask which comes in all sizes and Airfit F10). I forgot to order extra air filters though.

dreant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anybody try wearing an oxygen mask instead of using CPAP?

Oxygen Therapy?

A quick google search led me to this page:
A total of 318 patients with sleep apnea and risk factors for heart disease were enrolled in the study and followed for 3 months. CPAP performed significantly better than either control or supplemental oxygen in terms of reducing blood pressure levels. The effect of CPAP on blood pressure was greatest at night, the time when sleep apnea often prevents the expected fall in blood pressure. Moreover, the decrease in blood pressure was seen despite generally well-controlled blood pressure measured during routine clinic visits.
It makes perfect sense. Simply using O2 without CPAP won't work. The patient is still having events which won't allow the O2 into the airway. There are however many patients with severe OSA that are on 02 with CPAP to bring their oxygen saturation up to a safe level.

You will find a number of CPAP equipment sites also carry oxygen concentrators; but I believe they are intended to be used as supplemental to CPAP therapy (and not a replacement of), and I am to understand they are sometimes needed for patients with lung disease or 'hypoventilation' disorders.

Heaven100

Reaction score
Advice on machine and spares

Hi

I have done sleep test and have tried on a trial unit few years back.

I have bough the ResMed mask during the trial and just check it is still in good working conduction.

I didn't buy the machine after trial was due the the high price.

Thanks for the link above to 1800CPAP, i think the price is very reasonable as compare to local market.

I would like to seek advice besides getting the machine, may I know what are the spares that I need to buy along with please?

I am looking at RedMax 10 Autoset for now and still assessing. Appreciate user advise before I commit on the purchase please.

Many thanks in advance.

Shu

Reaction score
No need to buy spares in advance. I didn't :)

I bought 2nd hand S9 from 1800CPAP. Price was a few hundred US dollars cheaper. It arrived looking like a brand new set. Came with case, everything was bagged, even smelt new! Internal clock showed very low usage.

Some say S9 is better than S10 because it's cheaper. Essential functions are the same. Or the S10 new features are not that useful.

I have no complaints with S9. Does the job. :)

Hi

I have done sleep test and have tried on a trial unit few years back.

I have bough the ResMed mask during the trial and just check it is still in good working conduction.

I didn't buy the machine after trial was due the the high price.

Thanks for the link above to 1800CPAP, i think the price is very reasonable as compare to local market.

I would like to seek advice besides getting the machine, may I know what are the spares that I need to buy along with please?

I am looking at RedMax 10 Autoset for now and still assessing. Appreciate user advise before I commit on the purchase please.

Many thanks in advance.

Heaven100

Reaction score
Thanks Shu

I notice there are many model for S9, e.g., Elite, Autoset, VPAP, Escape,...
may I know how can I decide which model is suitable.

Appreciate further advice if possible please.

Thanks.

No need to buy spares in advance. I didn't :)

I bought 2nd hand S9 from 1800CPAP. Price was a few hundred US dollars cheaper. It arrived looking like a brand new set. Came with case, everything was bagged, even smelt new! Internal clock showed very low usage.

Some say S9 is better than S10 because it's cheaper. Essential functions are the same. Or the S10 new features are not that useful.

I have no complaints with S9. Does the job. :)

dreant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I notice there are many model for S9, e.g., Elite, Autoset, VPAP, Escape,...
may I know how can I decide which model is suitable.

Appreciate further advice if possible please.

You want an Auto-CPAP machine, so either get the S9 Autoset, or the S9 Elite Auto. You can make a comparison of their difference here.

I would recommend the Autoset.

The VPAP is a bilevel machine. Your doctor may prescribe you one if you are not able to to use an Auto-CPAP.

Things to buy:
Replacement filters (I typically replace one every 2-3 months)
Extra tube (they do break/tear eventually)
Maybe a second mask or two - I usually switch masks ever so now and then. In the last month, I've been on the Swift FX; but sometimes I switch to a Quatro (full-face). If you're down with the flu, and your nose is congested, you'll need a full face mask because pillows/nasal masks won't work.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.