Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

JL3E

Reaction score
While I was shopping for a new aircon, a salesman informed me that the new Starmex system 3 (5 ticks) compressor tends to be abit noisy. As I will be hanging it outside my master bedroom he suggested to use the older model (2ticks). Therefore, I would like to know from owners of the new Starmex aircon whether there is any truth in this or is the salesman trying to pull a fast one on me.

Neverland99

Reaction score
While I was shopping for a new aircon, a salesman informed me that the new Starmex system 3 (5 ticks) compressor tends to be abit noisy. As I will be hanging it outside my master bedroom he suggested to use the older model (2ticks). Therefore, I would like to know from owners of the new Starmex aircon whether there is any truth in this or is the salesman trying to pull a fast one on me.

I have just installed a new starmex 5 tick system 3 last month (Dec 2015). As the compressor is just outside my master room, I can indeed hear very loud noise coming from the trunking inside my room that was just connected to the compressor outside on the aircon ledge especially if all 3 blower are running (3 blowers running at minimum fan speed and set at 25 deg C.) If the blower is running at max fan speed, the noise at the trunking near the compressor is really very loud.
However, the noise is not so loud if only 1 blower is running but still can be heard in the middle of the night when the surroundings is very quiet.

As we only switch on the aircon during hotter days/nights and it is more energy efficient, I just have to live with the noise.

My system is MXY3G28VA compressor + MSXYFJ10VE blower (x 3 units)

Last edited:

eting72

Reaction score
I have just installed a new starmex 5 tick system 3 last month (Dec 2015). As the compressor is just outside my master room, I can indeed hear very loud noise coming from the trunking inside my room that was just connected to the compressor outside on the aircon ledge especially if all 3 blower are running (3 blowers running at minimum fan speed and set at 25 deg C.) If the blower is running at max fan speed, the noise at the trunking near the compressor is really very loud.
However, the noise is not so loud if only 1 blower is running but still can be heard in the middle of the night when the surroundings is very quiet.

As we only switch on the aircon during hotter days/nights and it is more energy efficient, I just have to live with the noise.

thanks for sharings like this, really helpful for those looking at the particular model

JL3E

Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback. That is a real bummer :(

jentang

Reaction score
Hi all. Hope someone can help me with my enquires. I am going to change my system 3 to either system 1 or 2 as I rarely use the other 2. But prob is a few yrs later when my son grows bigger, he might want a room on his own but not anything in the near future. So I am thinking of buying a system 1 first then subsequently buy another system 1 when we need it. But if we remove one condenser, would the other 2 old acs still be usable? If not usable I"m thinking of getting a system 2 coz when my current ac breaks down and we need to slp over at the other room. Thanks in advance.

applegerl83

Reaction score
Hi..

Need advice as I am clueless. Wanna get 3 sys aircon for my 3 bto rm.

1) how many btu require for each rooms? Higher btu will it better?
2) which brand is recommended?

Thanks in advance

luckygal

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I seldom switch on air con. In fact real seldom. But my Friend said despite so, good to on air con like once or twice a month, just for the sake of switching it on and let run for like half an hour. True?

ItsmeagainhK

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I have aircon install in 3 rooms. It last for quite awhile and soon after gave too much problems that my dad decided not to use it anymore. Thereafter we slept with fans at night.

I just started working and thought I can install aircon for the family. I'm actually clueless about aircon. I'm wondering how much does it cost to install aircon for 3 bedrooms taking into consideration that the installer would have to remove be existing spoilt one. I'm looking at a medium tier Airconditioner with no specific brand in mind.
Please advise.

Last edited:

Neverland99

Reaction score
Hi all. I have aircon install in 3 rooms. It last for quite awhile and soon after gave too much problems that my dad decided not to use it anymore. Thereafter we slept with fans at night.

I just started working and thought I can install aircon for the family. I'm actually clueless about aircon. I'm wondering how much does it cost to install aircon for 3 bedrooms taking into consideration that the installer would have to remove be existing spoilt one. I'm looking at a medium tier Airconditioner with no specific brand in mind.
Please advise.

Should be around $2.8k to $3.6k depending on the brand and model number.

guyferic

Reaction score
can someone introduce which type of aircon(energy saving and environment friendly is my top priority) is the best to install for HDB, going to install for 2 rooms only. what are the things to look into. Is Inverter type a good choice? should I purchase from online site or store? Heard there are many good online site, any to recommend? tks
heard also got lots of maintenance to do when using aircon. can give guide like what are the things that can do our-self and engaging a service guy
Since I like to have aircon in 2 rooms, is it that I have to look at Multi split SYS2 range?

Last edited:

Yingmu

Reaction score
Anyone engaged this company called Aircon101 to install aircon before, can share the experience, workmanship, etc? Seems like cheaper than Gain City but unsure in terms of warranty, how do they compare with each other?

iBuyLeh

Reaction score

He is probably trying to clear old stock, and probably the salesman has better sales commission clearing the old stock than selling you the new one. Don't get conned, this is a common sales trick! Good luck.

But I suggest that you check the sound level of both the two different models. You are correct that the the outside unit will generate noise, but if you close the windows(to the outside unit), you will dramatically reduce noise.

iBuyLeh

Reaction score
Just change to daikin non-inverter ma56ev1 with x 3 ft25dvm (9000 btu).
The thing was if compare this system with my previous inverter system, there was a bit different with the degree setting.

Current system need to set as 22c then it equal to my previous 24c.

Call the shop, they told me this was the different between non and inverter system.
it will not as cold as inverter system. Is this true? Shouldn't it to be same cold in same temperature setting?

This is an obsolete system running on R22. The shop who sold you this should be crucified, as R22 systems are not permitted to be sold in Singapore. Care to share who this irresponsible shop is?

Location of temperature sensor, as well as tolerance of the sensor plays a part. But what is important is the final temperature that you get out of the AC, and the power consumed. As an old model an non-inverter version, maybe cheap to buy out front, but high running cost. This applies to any other brands. Good luck.

iBuyLeh

Reaction score
Hi thank you for your help.
Are there any downsides to using an old pipe?? it seems like it is impossible to to run the pipes along the wall without hacking some of the wall as the bracket or whatever it is called which holds the huge outdoor unit is placed at an awkward position which to link all the aircon needs to pass some of the walls.

Thank you!

In Singapore, many installers and air con manufacturers do not recommend good quality pipes. Importers bring in the cheapest to get good profits for themselves. But in large projects where professional engineers are involved, they would usually recommend pipes based on ASTM B-280 standards.

So if you have an old system above 12 years, especially if exposed to rain and shine or possible chemical contamination, best to spend some money to get the comfort you need. You go through the trouble once during the installation, you pay once, and you can have peace and comfort for that. Think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.