My Tokyo Nom Nom Thread

fuzzybear

Master Member
Reaction score
Moar FOOD...!

This time round, went to Osaka (JAL transfer via Haneda) and return to SG from Tokyo Narita

Stayed at Hotel Bali Tower @ Tennoji in Osaka, Hotel is only 5 mins walk from JR Tennoji station with quite a few eateries that open till late at night.

i've tried a number of Takoyaki...those with long queue and those with not so long queue... and frankly... my favorite is the one i ate in Shinseikai.

It's a small stall along the main

street and right beneath the signboard of the bigger restaurant -

1rHSbMS.jpg

I've had the mentaiko one
EGJYuC4.jpg

These had a slight crunch on the outside and creamy on the inside. It doesn't "deflate" , cuz the rest i had "deflates" by the time i got to the 3rd one =:p

It just taste better then the rest i had.

Had my kushikatsu here,

PcU0Uii.jpg

but it's my first meal after checking into the hotel..... the food went into my mouth before the thought of taking pics came into mind :p

Your pics always temp me hahah

Crexzz

Master Member
Reaction score
Over at

TKdFpzr.jpg

I came across this stall selling bbq beef innards

Qf9719y.jpg

aWVuBpY.jpg

I was kinda surprised that the sauce tasted kinda "nutty" , sweet and salty. It's tasty and doesn't have the usual taste we expect with innards.

Further exploration in the area brought me to -

UpBYYB4.jpg

with a cosy interior (ash trays on every table)
j2HXOJV.jpg

It's actually a steak house and my late lunch set of 200gm x 2 sets only cost me 5K...... only know that cuts of beef and that it's locally produced beef. Ain't sure about the type/location of the beef.

And all in all, well worth the calories.
J1C1RUO.jpg

Crexzz

Master Member
Reaction score
Strolling down

39gQKrl.jpg

It's the usual market place atmosphere , with sights of food everywhere...
Then it was this shop that drew me in.

ZS70Nj3.jpg

Fishmongers busy at the rear, with a window partitioned from the main shop. front end is all the seafood lying around, in supermarket style, begging to be let into my mouth.

there's a sitting area of around 10 tables, for me to buy them and let them into my mouth straight after paying :o

E2bU3Kt.jpg

hp9YKvH.jpg

The ebi... squeaked in delight when i took my first bite

JUQbPA5.jpg

And of cuz... my buddy tuna to complete the aquarium collection in my stomach

VevaOy3.jpg

57mR0lf.jpg

Crexzz

Master Member
Reaction score
Over at Kuromon, i came across stalls selling food like these -

OolveZB.jpg

uNv0hrX.jpg

Don't waste the calories... it's like sheet

Over in tokyo, i went to Tonki (@ meguro ) thinking that it'll be the "Star food" of my trip..... but i was wrong

Seemingly not crowded when it opened at 4pm.... peaceful sight at the store front
PeGdb68.jpg

But once inside, it's a different story
RIrOwyn.jpg

People waiting comfortably behind diners waiting for their turn. They have seating available upstairs but the queue crawling along the stairs

The food -
CffpBEi.jpg

Not oily, not very crunchy but the meat is tender (dependant on your choice of cut - total 3 type of cuts available). taste is great

CffpBEi.jpg

The KFC there has something on the menu SG do not have, the Bistro Hamburg...which uses beef cum pork patty..!

w5BzdyT.jpg

The burger isn't as big as the picture , but it's delicious and claimed to be using local produced meat for the patty.

1tigJwf.jpg

I'm not sure if it's a practice for all the KFC outlet in japan, but the outlet in tokyo dome has a window showing the "chefs" in the kitchen preparing all the chicken. And the process starts with coating bare raw chicken with the various spices etc....

then i noticed the sign "freshly prepared" in the restaurant. The chicken i had , indeed taste better and definitely different from other KFC i've eaten. Worth a try if you're there

Last edited:

Crexzz

Master Member
Reaction score
The "Star food" of my trip has to be this

lPO7SyA.jpg

Located just opposite Tokyo Dome, along the street where Don Quijote store is.

the HUGE menu standing on the table

2ymNcXU.jpg

I've ordered the mixed platter for 2

Fq8NbPl.jpg

The platter comes with 2 of this, Oysters that tasted sweet literally..... without any sauce added. Juice flows with every bite... i really wonder how it's made.

GRc5Y7b.jpg

Next on the platter is this, pork/onion/pumpkin hybrid katsu... lol
Same as the oyster... juice overflowed..!

Gh7pWQY.jpg

The A5 grade beef....

irLOI1U.jpg

There's also 2 of the ebi croquette on the platter that i didn't snap a pic of.

The dragon of the plate (size of 1.5 of my palm) is left for last.... it's head crunches thru with ease and just one word "yum"

pRBBo84.jpg

Guess what... all these (without rice) plus 1 of their inhouse brewed beer only cost me <8k

money damn well spent.

btw, the interior of this restaurant is really unique, gives me a sense of being inside a huge tree trunk. regrets for not taking a few pics

Crexzz

Master Member
Reaction score
Food.. glorious food...!!

This time round, stayed in osaka with 2 days day trip to kyoto and 1 day to Kobe/Arashiyama .

My first hit after checking in -

Takoyaki topped with Spring Onions of joy with an onsen egg on top

i7wdyozl.jpg

Walking down the buzzing river, i suddenly caught a whiff of those sweet smelling melon pan...funny, didn't remember any place selling melon pan in dontobori.

Followed the smell and i went into the embrace of this hot melon pan filled with vanilla ice cream!

LjuK7sJl.jpg

FGFnHsxl.jpg

To end the day early with a sumptuous dinner of kickass ramen is on my agenda. And here i am, found myself slurping down this bowl of ramen top with a big slab of soft bones port rib.

The bones literally melts but the flesh is still intact with the required texture that keeps you wanting more

ps: btw, this stall is just 5 mins away from ichiran. Would suggest you guys to try this instead of joining the touristy queue.

One nice touch is that 1 get to order one bowl to share among 2 pax.

we7LFrgl.jpg

40HHDd9l.jpg

Crexzz

Master Member
Reaction score
Just when i thought i could walk off some calories, along shinsaibashi... i came across this

1iQyjR1l.jpg

And the cold cold weather, tempted me to have something warm to heat up my body

Bpii7WUl.jpg

xw8rb5hl.jpg

I blame the weather for this gluttony :mad:

Blardy hell, shortly after the lobster bisque... walking further down , near GU stall, i smell something nice again. Followed the smell again.. and was greeted with a queue -

VCFE8u2l.jpg

50% discount!! on what?? Ta...da... these mini croissants

xNSaODtl.jpg

since it's mini, i just went ahead. Bought some ate some... :(

aTH9N3nl.jpg

But still glad i did.

Last edited:

Crexzz

Master Member
Reaction score
These days, been kinda obsessed with mineral water. Both carbonated and non-carbonated type. a pity that the selection ain't great in SG

Over there, had these 2 zero calories indulgence -

wjkhIhTl.jpg

n7EZO2Bl.jpg

Before i flew to japan, i'll always check out their fast food menu for anything new. Saw that KFC is having these fried ebi on their menu and very naturally, i seek out the nearest KFC and had a go. AND it's really meh.... kinda disappointing

6blxCpMl.jpg

HKQEVDVl.jpg

And sad to know that the Bistro burger ain't on the menu anymore...

Oh well, at least Yoshinoya's winter's menu cheered me up a little

TysHLtfl.jpg

8udCD8Ol.jpg

gundamhamtaro

Reaction score
Sad to see that you also got cheated by KFCs fried prawn. Ebi fry in any supermarket tastes better than this piece of junk. KFC boneless hot & spicy chicken is nice though.

Crexzz

Master Member
Reaction score
Sad to see that you also got cheated by KFCs fried prawn. Ebi fry in any supermarket tastes better than this piece of junk. KFC boneless hot & spicy chicken is nice though.

Yeah man... I had such high hope.... But when i first held it up n the ebi fry is "limping" ..my disappointment set in... :(

Crexzz

Master Member
Reaction score
Over at Kobe, tucked in a small corner right in front of the Chinatown's west gate.

I had filled my beef craving at Yazawa West

PmR9OLpl.jpg

Instead of the usual tenpanyaki style, this place served the moomoo western style that comprise of salad, soup then the main plus a bowl of rice

The potato soup

olqSirZl.jpg

The main

0rtjFOal.jpg

You get to choose the size, cut and even the type of beef you want. The restaurant is deco-ed with tons of trophies. It's nice to try but don't think i'll be returning cuz it's not that special / different from other reputable restaurant which can satisfy your craving at a lower price.

At a supermarket, came across this white strawberry the size of an apple... :eek: didn't try it though.

aZbEqhgl.jpg

Right over at Namba city, decided to go to Ryukishin for my ramen fill. My first time and it's surprisingly good.

They serve sio base ramen have 2 types of soup to choose from, clear or white. Tried both and both is really good.
Av1Cbzbl.jpg

White base soup which is actually foamy
73tfw4rl.jpg

Clear soup , and can actually get to taste a hint of lemony zest. Refreshing , tasty and not dull

xBW86ktl.jpg

It's a great choice compared to the much hyped Ippudo , which has a stall nearby as well.

Last edited:

Crexzz

Master Member
Reaction score
In kyoto, this is a die die must try sweet treats that's under-rated compared to the others much talked about treats.

It practically melts in your mouth! tinge of sweetness that ain't over powering the peanut/matcha powder.

Though, if you purchase the pack, you'll have to slice it up yourself and powder the mochi yourself. It's quite a challenge trying to cut it with the included wooden tools
289aeMVl.jpg

And of cuz, when in kyoto, how not to even try their soba and sweet fish. Best if both comes together in a bowl :o

zw57FaJl.jpg

My day in kyoto ended with dinner over at Kyoto station, with deep fried food . Much sins but heck, i just order the sets without rice and bank on their free flow salad. Makes me feel less guilty.

NViDXq0l.jpg

Odered 1 mixed platter
pSKVzl1l.jpg

And since weather is cold, a simmering hot "katsudon" without the rice but with some soup. Nom nom nom
4He7QlSl.jpg

Crexzz

Master Member
Reaction score
Took a day trip to view Nabana Sato winter illumination over at Nagashima. Prior to the garden, made a stop over at Nagashima resort which is also one of mitsui outlet mall.

Had my lunch over at one of their 2 food courts. Food is really meh except for this pork chop

QQU608Al.jpg

One of the nights, also made my way to Umeda sky building and went to their basement food street to try out kiji Okonomiyaki and also their yakisoba.

Was kinda expecting it to taste the same, like any other places but i must say that it's really good and somewhat different in terms of taste.

UseOm1gl.jpg

One random restaurant at Namba walk, this omurice drenched in cheese cum spinach sauce. Heard that it's a winter edition dish. yummy

1AdZjubl.jpg

Over at KIX, went on to try Boteju. Not sure if it's the same as the Botehju over at Tokyo which i've had some awesome katsu as this only serves Okonomiyaki, Takoyaki, Yakisoba Yakiudon etc etc

Ordered their Okonomiyaki, Takoyaki plus their special salad

Their Okonomiyaki & takoyaki is really meh... regretted ordering them. But WOW their special salad is really delicious! No wonder it's highlighted on the first page of their menu

The meh Okonomiyaki & Takoyaki

UslKE2Ll.jpg

Their POWER salad! really damn delicious. No idea how the hell they made it.

aoGSyxhl.jpg

Btw, if you come across any "pasar malam" and saw this so called "crab stick"... don't bother... save your 500yen.... it's just crab flavored fish cake. Heck i don't even think it's fish cake, maybe just some starch cake

45EU9jWl.jpg

ErinaMizuno

Master Member
Reaction score
omigod thanks for the pics and the food. moi planning to go osaka kobe and kyoto coming april

Crexzz

Master Member
Reaction score
this year, i've stayed in Osaka with 3 day trips out to kyoto & 1 day trip to kobe.

Mandatory food pics :o

As i've reached my hotel past 9pm and would need to wake up early the next day, i went to yoshinoya just opposite my hotel and had this small bowl of soup @ only 190yen... it definitely warmed up my body

qEj0heMl.jpg

qjOOTFkl.jpg

Next morning, i found uncle ronald just next opposite my hotel as well! So i just hop across the road for my brekkie b4 heading to Kyoto

Bacon & egg Mcgriddle plus.... their ever so delicious coco pie
aEIckbll.jpg

gZDEsAVl.jpg

First stop over at Kyoto is Kiyomizudera, took a bus from Kyoto station. After done snapping pics and paying my respect, explored the area and started my walk towards yakasa shrine. It's very walkable cuz there's plenty of guide along the way as long as you walk thru Higashiyama district

I came across this
E7QCcmYl.jpg

iirc someone here once told me that it serves really good beef pau, so without hesitation, i went ahead to try one. tbh, it's not bad and taste just kinda good only

XvAFOwwl.jpg

EHrONOxl.jpg

Crexzz

Master Member
Reaction score
Along the way, i came across Kamanza and decided to have a light lunch here (because there's plan for dessert later @ Saryo Tsujiri)
FVJJputl.jpg

The food here is not bad only, or perhaps it's the carnivore in me that's affecting my palate
LlkC9iKl.jpg

QRxrAKZl.jpg

Ordered a few dishes ala carte -

Namafu Soba
yBagR31l.jpg

Yuba - tau kee
O5rJwkgl.jpg

Oboro Tofu - bascially taste like our local tauhuay without sugar syrup but it's very slightly sweet on it's own
vaUueaPl.jpg

IcYFl4mEz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
where got good mochi die die must try? I miss Kings mochi ice cream, used to sell in SG now nno more

Crexzz

Master Member
Reaction score
Continued my journey and reached shijio dori for desserts @ Saryo Tsujiri.
I was lucky there's only 2 pax in queue when i reached the cramped stairway

lGTSEL8l.jpg

eCha5RFl.jpg

Highlight for me gotta be this bowl of red bean soup with 2 pieces of toasted mochi
lRQwBl5l.jpg

My fav warabi mochi....
F9g8jKCl.jpg

A random shop front i came across
htIROl2l.jpg

Lotteria collab with Calbee -
4mEJFdtl.jpg

Only tried the ebi ones, the rest are sadly.. sold out
6qCqnTZl.jpg

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.