Ubiquiti - Setting Up Home Network

HiStOrY MaKeR

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Anyone tried setting up your home network using Ubiquiti products?

Thank you.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason why you choose ubiquitin? It's definitely an overkill for home usage generally, that's why I'm curious on why u choose an enterprise grade product..

nas_1986

Reaction score
Im Using UAP AC lite and intalled it on the central part of the house. Quite impressive with the wifi speed consistency comparing with other brands.

HiStOrY MaKeR

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason why you choose ubiquitin? It's definitely an overkill for home usage generally, that's why I'm curious on why u choose an enterprise grade product..

Simple. If you are getting intermittent response from your RT-AC87U (ASUS) at 7Mbps and consistently get these slowness..... and suddenly boost to 468Mbps out of nowhere..... and compare the cost of Ubiquiti, definitely Ubiquiti anytime.

andr3wyong

Master Member
Reaction score
Using 4 UAP-ACs at home.

Was previously using the EdgeRouter Lite but the lack of 10G support was a bummer, and Ubiquiti has yet to release 10G products (other than the Edge/UniFi switch 24/48port models, and I want 4x10G ports but don’t need all 48 copper ports).

Now using a MikroTik CCR as a 10G router-on-a-stick (1 uplink for both WAN and LAN) because it’s the most affordable 10G routing solution right now.

home.png

UAP-AC performance has been very satisfactory as well. MacBook Pro Retina 13" (3x3:3 wifi):

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-23%20at%2015.17.13.png

Last edited:

HiStOrY MaKeR

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Using 4 UAP-ACs at home.

Was previously using the EdgeRouter Lite but the lack of 10G support was a bummer, and Ubiquiti has yet to release 10G products (other than the Edge/UniFi switch 24/48port models, and I want 4x10G ports but don’t need all 48 copper ports).

Now using a MikroTik CCR as a 10G router-on-a-stick (1 uplink for both WAN and LAN) because it’s the most affordable 10G routing solution right now.

home.png

UAP-AC performance has been very satisfactory as well. MacBook Pro Retina 13" (3x3:3 wifi):

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-23%20at%2015.17.13.png

How did you manage to get 1170Mbps on your MacBook Pro?

I am thinking of getting the EdgeRouter Lite or PoE with UAP-AC-PRO.
I am currently using Asus RT-AC87U and am on M1 1Gbps (which I think it's getting worse).

andr3wyong

Master Member
Reaction score
The speed should be attainable with the AC87U too, as long as your channel selection lets you force 80MHz mode.

HiStOrY MaKeR

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
The speed should be attainable with the AC87U too, as long as your channel selection lets you force 80MHz mode.

Apparently not.

My speedtest results are hovering at 150Mbps even though both AC87U and UAP-AC-PRO provided 867Mbps (max)..... suspect that the LAN ports are only 1Gbps and therefore cannot obtain the speed that you captured?

ridney

Reaction score

My macbook pro retina always picks N instead of AC. Both are 5ghz. How did you force it to stick with AC?

andr3wyong

Master Member
Reaction score
My macbook pro retina always picks N instead of AC. Both are 5ghz. How did you force it to stick with AC?

Is it connecting to 2.4GHz N?

I have my 2.4GHz at "low" transmit power on my UAP-AC. Most devices will prefer the 5GHz in my home as the signal is much higher.

It gives 2.4GHz-only devices a below par experience but it definitely encourages devices to roam to 5GHz.

UAP-AC Gen 2 devices have band steering.

andr3wyong

Master Member
Reaction score
Apparently not.

My speedtest results are hovering at 150Mbps even though both AC87U and UAP-AC-PRO provided 867Mbps (max)..... suspect that the LAN ports are only 1Gbps and therefore cannot obtain the speed that you captured?

The speeds I have attained will not be limited by a 1Gbps LAN port.

My APs are connected via 1000baseT.

andr3wyong

Master Member
Reaction score
My AP is also connected via 1000baseT.....
Hmmm..... Maybe M1 issue.
If you get the correct speeds on a wired speedtest, it means there's a hardware/config issue on your side ba…

My wired speedtest (on M1) gets a nice flat 950Mbps (Softlayer server)

ridney

Reaction score
Is it connecting to 2.4GHz N?

I have my 2.4GHz at "low" transmit power on my UAP-AC. Most devices will prefer the 5GHz in my home as the signal is much higher.

It gives 2.4GHz-only devices a below par experience but it definitely encourages devices to roam to 5GHz.

UAP-AC Gen 2 devices have band steering.

SSID is configured for 5ghz only. My MacBook connects first to AC but after a few seconds it's connected to N and sticks with it even when roaming.

andr3wyong

Master Member
Reaction score
SSID is configured for 5ghz only. My MacBook connects first to AC but after a few seconds it's connected to N and sticks with it even when roaming.
You have a separate N AP? If your client device prefers that, then it is providing a better RSSI than your AC AP.

HiStOrY MaKeR

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
If you get the correct speeds on a wired speedtest, it means there's a hardware/config issue on your side ba…

My wired speedtest (on M1) gets a nice flat 950Mbps (Softlayer server)

My wired speedtest is good.

But only WiFi.....

The UAP-AC-PRO is now connected to my ASUS RT-AC87U LAN. Hmmm....

Any other advice?

andr3wyong

Master Member
Reaction score
My wired speedtest is good.

But only WiFi.....

The UAP-AC-PRO is now connected to my ASUS RT-AC87U LAN. Hmmm....

Any other advice?
What rate are you seeing on your client? Did you set your UAP to Singapore region? Try channels ≥149

solidus_grey

Reaction score
UniFi Security Gateway / Edgerouter Lite, UAP AC Pro [old version] setup here.
Considering the pricing of top end router nowadays, not overkill anymore lol.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.