Vietnam

finale1

Master Member
Reaction score
What would be the best way to get to Hue from Singapore? I've heard that flights from HCMC/Hanoi are often canceled. Would it be better to fly to Da Nang and get car from there?

If by car - is there anything to see on the road from Da Nang to Hue?

Hue in my opinion is a boring sleepy town. Danang is in between hue and Hoi an. U can take a bus from danang to hue. I think its 60-80km apart. Theres little direct flights to danang from singapore. More often, its singapore to hcmc then to danang.

MrTheROCK

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hue in my opinion is a boring sleepy town. Danang is in between hue and Hoi an. U can take a bus from danang to hue. I think its 60-80km apart. Theres little direct flights to danang from singapore. More often, its singapore to hcmc then to danang.
Hi finale1, I have upcoming 7 days in these 3. Is below arrangement good?

Hue 2 days
Hoi An 3 days
Danang 2 days, then fly back from Danang

Sent from the rock using GAGT

figo16

Banned
Reaction score
jin satki sia... :(:(

if service is good then i tip. I treat the 100k like 10% service charge in singapore and 100k is a lot to them.

I find the service staff in my hotel and tours in vietnam to be very friendly and sincere. They even offered to help me buy sim card and vietnamese coffee and would chat with me while i was dining at hotel restaurant. 5 stars service in a 3 star hotel. lol.

Alpaca

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I find the service staff in my hotel and tours in vietnam to be very friendly and sincere. They even offered to help me buy sim card and vietnamese coffee and would chat with me while i was dining at hotel restaurant. 5 stars service in a 3 star hotel. lol.
The hotel in hcm offer to help me buy sim card @ 200k(100 for card + 100 for top up) :(

figo16

Banned
Reaction score
Ya....recess week that's why go holiday :)

so good. last time my professor always schedule exams and assignment deadlines immediately after recess week so no such thing as holiday let alone overseas trip

Last edited:

butterbarter

Reaction score
No, Vietnam is much cheaper than HK in almost every way.

But the chance of getting conned in Vietnam by unscrupulous merchants, roadside vendors and taxi-drivers or being a target of a pickpocket is much higher than in HK.

Is Vietnam generally more exp than surrounding destinations like Hong Kong?

butterbarter

Reaction score
I did the same 3 places.

Apart from the imperial tombs, there really isn't much to see in Hue.

There is the Imperial Palace, but when I went 2 years ago, 90% of it was still under construction or simply non-existent. I was expecting something like the Forbidden City in Beijing, but it isn't at all. Most of it was just ruins or simply empty land where the buildings used to stand.

The tombs were OK, but not really must-sees. Historically and culturally, Vietnam is like a mini version of China, due to 1000 years of Chinese influence. But don't mention this to the Vietnamese, because they probably don't like being reminded of this subjugation by China.

If the tombs and palace ruins are all you are seeing, you can do it in 1 full day (half day each). In fact there are a lot of package tours just for that.

Danang is probably more interesting, with the beaches, Marble Mountains, the Dragon Bridge (the giant dragon breathes fire and water at 9pm on weekends), Han river promenade, Ling Unh Pagoda. 2 whole days should be good.

Hoi An is very pleasant and relaxing. Lots of good, cheap food and alcohol. Rent a bicycle and ride around.

You can also join the free Hoi An bicycle tours to the countryside (http://www.hoianfreetour.com/). Contact them to reserve a place. Just rent a bicycle and join in. This free tour is conducted by University students who are learning English. In exchange for the free tour, all they ask is that you converse with them in English so that they can get some English practice. Win-win I say. I did the tour and it was great. You get to see the countryside, learn abit about their history, meet other travellers and have a nice chat with really friendly Vietnamese undergrads. There's also a food tour (payable) conducted by the same company, but I didn't try this.

Are your days full days, or do they include traveling? Your hotel can arrange shuttle bus to bring you from Danang to Hoi An. Between Danang and Hue you can also take a shuttle or train. I took the train, but didn't think it was worth the hassle and time.

Hi finale1, I have upcoming 7 days in these 3. Is below arrangement good?

Hue 2 days
Hoi An 3 days
Danang 2 days, then fly back from Danang

Last edited:

Alpaca

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so good. last time my professor always schedule exams and assignment deadlines immediately after recess week so no such thing as holiday let alone overseas trip

I also got mid term after recces week :s13: originally intend to study during the trip but the weather too shiok already then nua in a hotel room and walk around the area :s22: if not for my mid term i next week then fly back.

figo16

Banned
Reaction score
I also got mid term after recces week :s13: originally intend to study during the trip but the weather too shiok already then nua in a hotel room and walk around the area :s22: if not for my mid term i next week then fly back.
Got visit sapa? Halong bay very nice to nua

MrTheROCK

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I did the same 3 places.

Apart from the imperial tombs, there really isn't much to see in Hue.

There is the Imperial Palace, but when I went 2 years ago, 90% of it was still under construction or simply non-existent. I was expecting something like the Forbidden City in Beijing, but it isn't at all. Most of it was just ruins or simply empty land where the buildings used to stand.

The tombs were OK, but not really must-sees. Historically and culturally, Vietnam is like a mini version of China, due to 1000 years of Chinese influence. But don't mention this to the Vietnamese, because they probably don't like being reminded of this subjugation by China.

If the tombs and palace ruins are all you are seeing, you can do it in 1 full day (half day each). In fact there are a lot of package tours just for that.

Danang is probably more interesting, with the beaches, Marble Mountains, the Dragon Bridge (the giant dragon breathes fire and water at 9pm on weekends), Han river promenade, Ling Unh Pagoda. 2 whole days should be good.

Hoi An is very pleasant and relaxing. Lots of good, cheap food and alcohol. Rent a bicycle and ride around.

You can also join the free Hoi An bicycle tours to the countryside (http://www.hoianfreetour.com/). Contact them to reserve a place. Just rent a bicycle and join in. This free tour is conducted by University students who are learning English. In exchange for the free tour, all they ask is that you converse with them in English so that they can get some English practice. Win-win I say. I did the tour and it was great. You get to see the countryside, learn abit about their history, meet other travellers and have a nice chat with really friendly Vietnamese undergrads. There's also a food tour (payable) conducted by the same company, but I didn't try this.

Are your days full days, or do they include traveling? Your hotel can arrange shuttle bus to bring you from Danang to Hoi An. Between Danang and Hue you can also take a shuttle or train. I took the train, but didn't think it was worth the hassle and time.
Include traveling to these 3, sun AM land @ Hue. Next sun AM head back spore from Danang.

Alpaca

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
single also can go ma... :(:(

single go a bit werid le :(

I am planning a trip to Hanoi. Mind sharing how you made your way to sapa and the hotel u stayed there? thanks in advance!

i booked through sinh tourist which basically arrange for everything other than meals since i dun want pay extra :)

if you dun want to go through agency, u can book the train ticket online (hanoi>lao cai) around 40 to 50 USD (i cant remember the exact price) and request the hotel for pick up service at train station. for tour in sapa, u can book through your hotel(12~16 USD) or find any tribe people to take u around :s13: thats what one sinkie couple i meet did. save a bit $$ only :s22:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.