HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

2018 Google Pixel 3 and 3XL...😗🎉😵

Like Tree258Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2019, 09:05 AM   #6031
Arch-Supremacy Member

It’s more of having the photos with me. Had made backups online too. The trouble was when those online storage closes or starts charging for lots more and I had to download them all over again, which is no joke. Which is why even with unlimited storage offered by Google, still rather hesitant.

Just thinking when will unlimited storage cease for Google.
Don't understand what's there to worry about. Any android devices that using Google Photos will automatically upload to the cloud without having u to press any button.

Should u reach the the end of free of original resolution period. They will automatically convert it to HQ for u.

Having SD card to do backup for ur precious photos is so 2010 practice.

Cloud storage is the way to go.

Sent from OnePlus GM1910 using GAGT
Mclairs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:53 PM   #6032

Don't understand what's there to worry about. Any android devices that using Google Photos will automatically upload to the cloud without having u to press any button.

Should u reach the the end of free of original resolution period. They will automatically convert it to HQ for u.

Hahah I'm guessing it's the issue of using a phone that has both Google photos and the in built gallery bah. First thought that comes to mind would be the gallery so maybe some people haven't realise the perks of using Google photos

Posted from PCWX using GM1910
laughingPANDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:09 PM   #6033

I'm using Google Photos and really like the cloud backups, but having said that I think there is no need to say having local SD backups is 'backward' or 'so 2010s'. Different strokes for different folks.

Posted from PCWX using Pixel XL

Last edited by simply.90; 02-06-2019 at 10:12 PM..
simply.90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:30 PM   #6034
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'm using Google Photos and really like the cloud backups, but having said that I think there is no need to say having local SD backups is 'backward' or 'so 2010s'. Different strokes for different folks.

Posted from PCWX using Pixel XL
the reliability of the SD card has gotten worst in today context. even photographers are using wifi SD card, when the photo is taken from their DSLR its immediately pump to their laptops.

it's good to educate people that, there are such "options" available. do you know how many people make mistake then they learn that, "they should have adopt this way rather than the traditional way"

SD card is not suitable for any form of backup. Cloud storage is.

The resiliency, availability, scalability are there.
Mclairs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #6035
Arch-Supremacy Member

It will take time to adapt but yeah, cloud is the way to go.

You see even Apple and Google which are the 2 top tech companies are moving away from external memory slot.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:03 PM   #6036

Anyone know where can we get the cheapest pixel 3A now? The PCShow 100 off was quite good but I just couldnt find time to go.
kingkangkong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:17 PM   #6037
Arch-Supremacy Member

Anyone know where can we get the cheapest pixel 3A now? The PCShow 100 off was quite good but I just couldnt find time to go.
Cheapest in Shopee is $609.

Maybe pay someone $30 to buy for you also still cheaper with Google.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:02 PM   #6038

Go carousell to find? If not just gotta wait for such promos again lor.

Posted from PCWX using GM1910
laughingPANDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 04:50 AM   #6039

Pixel updates for June are up, 3a and 3a XL get their first monthly security patches

Factory Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices

Full OTA Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices

Pixel Update BulletinóJune 2019

Android Security BulletinóJune 2019
garychengjw likes this.
limmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:48 PM   #6040
Arch-Supremacy Member

no good deal like pc show liao.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:36 PM   #6041

That is assuming if google continues to provide this to each new pixel phones lor..
yah, just cannot forget when they terminated nexus
themuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:41 PM   #6042

yes, understood that cloud is the way to go.

Just that I prefer have copies in the SD card and hard disk even though all my photos are backed up in the cloud too.

wonder if anyone faced the same pain with me before where I need to download all those backups from the cloud when the cloud storage closes or terminates their plan.

The process is plain painful and tedious.

Which is why I'll still prefer to store a copy by my side even though cloud is the way to go.

Last edited by themuk; 04-06-2019 at 09:43 PM..
Old 04-06-2019, 09:53 PM   #6043

the reliability of the SD card has gotten worst in today context. even photographers are using wifi SD card, when the photo is taken from their DSLR its immediately pump to their laptops.

it's good to educate people that, there are such "options" available. do you know how many people make mistake then they learn that, "they should have adopt this way rather than the traditional way"

SD card is not suitable for any form of backup. Cloud storage is.

The resiliency, availability, scalability are there.
yap, made the mistake previously of keeping my photos in online instead of in the SD / Harddisk. Realised that the SDs / harddisks that I have now are way more reliable too.

Learnt it the hard way, should have just spent a little more on storing them in the SDs / harddisks too instead of relying on those paid online storage. (i'm just wondering when google will cease the photos storage and force me with no choice but to migrate the photos out)

Adopting something for the fad makes one wonder why old is gold. We'll just need to know what are the adv / disadv for each of the medium and take the plunge with our eyes wide open.

I seriously believe that online storage is the way to go, just that certain unpleasant experiences forces me to rethink my backup plans and go back the old school way.

The pixel 3 will always be my first choice replacement phone, if not for the storage options.

Last edited by themuk; 04-06-2019 at 10:14 PM..
Old 05-06-2019, 12:51 AM   #6044
Arch-Supremacy Member

wonder if anyone faced the same pain with me before where I need to download all those backups from the cloud when the cloud storage closes or terminates their plan.

The process is plain painful and tedious.
There will be ample warning and reminder.

Google wont stop the service at a short notice.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:39 AM   #6045
Supremacy Member

I dun believe Google Photos will close anytime soon. And if one is paranoid about G Photo closing down suddenly, pls invest in a NAS, running RAID. With this i think u have enough redundancy to protect ur precious photos and videos..

Cos if u ever lose ur phone, with ur microSD inside, its adios amigo

Last edited by JackDulouz; 05-06-2019 at 04:43 AM..
JackDulouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.