HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Stop the Notch Nonsense!!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2018, 01:28 PM   #16

This is the moment of history where Reesey single-handedly ended the era of Android with a notch.
i definitely hope thats the case but seeing how the industry reacted and even google have their Pixel 3 amplifying the flaw that apple initiated, this notch nonsense will only stop when apple drop the design.
Reesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:27 PM   #17
Arch-Supremacy Member

well, the thing is lots of consumers want the latest and greatest but not the notch yet they are force to live with it.
Come on you are not being rational.

You don't like to smoke buy you still smoke because smoking is cool among your friends.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:08 AM   #18

Come on you are not being rational.

You don't like to smoke buy you still smoke because smoking is cool among your friends.
you need to think better, smoking doesn't do you any good its a bad comparison.
imagine you want to buy a hdb unit but you may not fully like the entrance walkway to living room but everything else are perfect and its located at excellent location.
now you get it?
Old 10-11-2018, 02:14 PM   #19
Master Member

I agree with the sentiment. I'm not fan of the notch either. I'm just glad that some manufacturers (like HW) at least have the sense to include an option to turn it off.

On a related note, I feel that the trend of thin bezel also compromised the location of the fingerprint sensor.

It makes more sense for me that the sensor is in front. But because of the real-estate it takes in front, it has been moved to the back on most of the latest models.

That makes little sense to me. Imagine if my phone is on the table, I would need to physically lift the phone to activate the phone with the fingerprint sensor at the back.

Whereas if the sensor was in front (like the Mate 10), I can use the sensor without needing to lift the phone.

At least, this issue is being addressed with in-screen fingerprint sensor but that's only available for the premium phone at the moment.
Paul Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:52 PM   #20

I agree with the sentiment. I'm not fan of the notch either. I'm just glad that some manufacturers (like HW) at least have the sense to include an option to turn it off.

On a related note, I feel that the trend of thin bezel also compromised the location of the fingerprint sensor.

It makes more sense for me that the sensor is in front. But because of the real-estate it takes in front, it has been moved to the back on most of the latest models.

That makes little sense to me. Imagine if my phone is on the table, I would need to physically lift the phone to activate the phone with the fingerprint sensor at the back.

Whereas if the sensor was in front (like the Mate 10), I can use the sensor without needing to lift the phone.

At least, this issue is being addressed with in-screen fingerprint sensor but that's only available for the premium phone at the moment.
ya, notch is really unnecessary and have to compliment samsung for not following the sheep even i don't own their product.

and yup, the best method or at least the only thing thats available till date to consumer is the under screen fingerprint reader and kind of make sense as to only highlight specific region as when user wants to unlock the phone.
samsung should pickup this method for the galaxy line and i hope to see more choices from other brands make it to mainstream.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:47 PM   #21
High Supremacy Member

In-display fingerprint will soon be available in more phones beginning next year, especially Chinese mid-range phones.

OPPO K1 is a start of mid-range phones featuring in-display fingerprint.

Posted from PCWX using SONY SUMIRE
amazingone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 11:34 AM   #22

I just realize xiaomi mi mix 3 integrated the front and back vertical slider to eliminate the need of notch with minimum border designed.
i think is an interesting approach but starting at 6GB ram, 128GB storage for S$650++(equivalent of the china price tag), i don't know for a china brand
then comparing the specs with say samsung galaxy series, samsung will probably charge $1200 min

Last edited by Reesey; 13-11-2018 at 04:26 PM..
Old 13-11-2018, 12:55 PM   #23

I just realize xiaomi mi max 3 integrated the front and back vertical slider to eliminate the need of notch with minimum border designed.
i think is an interesting approach but starting at 6GB ram, 128GB storage for S$650++(equivalent of the china price tag), i don't know for a china brand
then comparing the specs with say samsung galaxy series, samsung will probably charge $1200 min
It's MIX 3 not Max 3.

Next to it is oppo find X
RLWZ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 03:04 PM   #24
Arch-Supremacy Member

My favourite "notch-less" bezel-less phone right now is Nubia X.
Old 13-11-2018, 03:36 PM   #25

This is the moment of history where Reesey single-handedly ended the era of Android with a notch.
if they have that much power i suggest they make another thread call "stop the dongle nonsense" so that phone manufactuers can bring back the 3.5mm jack instead of pretending it is obsolete when all PC and non-wireless audio gear out there still use it

ya, notch is really unnecessary and have to compliment samsung for not following the sheep even i don't own their product.
samsung IMO has something equally bad and that is a non-flat screen. If youre using a phone with a curve edge display for the first time, welcome to a world where buying phone case and tempered glass becomes way more troublesome than it should be, theres entire articles out there about how difficult it is to get curved tempered glass to stick to a curved screen, or cases dislodging the glass, or the glass cracking, or palm rejection on the curved edges not being reliable. At least the notich is only a visual annoyance with software workaround.

so in a way samsung is just as bezel-phobic as everyone else, and is hellbent on screen to body ratio at any cost. I wonder how many Note 9 have already sustained cracks by being dropped on the curved side and having no bezels to mitigate the impact.

Last edited by chiaRH; 13-11-2018 at 03:51 PM..
chiaRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 04:28 PM   #26

It's MIX 3 not Max 3.

Next to it is oppo find X
i was testing you
Old 13-11-2018, 04:30 PM   #27
Arch-Supremacy Member

The way I see, the 3.5 mm jack will never return back to premium smartphones.

In this segment, maximizing space and thickness of phone designs are priorities.

Removal of the jack will allow manufacturers to pack higher battery capacity.
Old 13-11-2018, 04:44 PM   #28

samsung IMO has something equally bad and that is a non-flat screen. If youre using a phone with a curve edge display for the first time, welcome to a world where buying phone case and tempered glass becomes way more troublesome than it should be, theres entire articles out there about how difficult it is to get curved tempered glass to stick to a curved screen, or cases dislodging the glass, or the glass cracking, or palm rejection on the curved edges not being reliable. At least the notich is only a visual annoyance with software workaround.

so in a way samsung is just as bezel-phobic as everyone else, and is hellbent on screen to body ratio at any cost. I wonder how many Note 9 have already sustained cracks by being dropped on the curved side and having no bezels to mitigate the impact.
I'm not a fan of curve display either but if there's no choice i would rather have curve than notch.
and well, there's alway the j series right? but for same spec of the samsung mid range phone, i would rather pay just 40% to get a xiaomi which have even higher spec at that cost
Old 13-11-2018, 04:47 PM   #29

Buy Samsung if you don't want the notch.

Glariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #30
Master Member

Yall kp about android copying apple's innovative notch design, you do know that essential came out with the smallest notch phone before apple.

I think people buy phone more on branding/reputation than design.
TakKiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.