HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Stop the Notch Nonsense!!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #1

Stop the Notch Nonsense!!

Android OEM should stop copying the crap notch designed by apple.
hiakhiak likes this.
Reesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:19 PM   #2
High Supremacy Member

This is because phone makers are going towards fullscreen design, and notch is one way of going fullscreen.

Posted from PCWX using SONY SUMIRE
amazingone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

You can choose not to buy.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:13 PM   #4

The presence of the notch and other phone makers having the notch is not about copying to have the notch BUT rather to copy of the thinnest bezel technically possible and still maintain features like Face ID, front cam, etc.

The race to have the smallest bezel is the reason for the existence of the notch. I used the Oppo Find X for a short while as I liked the notchless display and the ultra thin bezel. The motorised camera was also an attraction for me but the sub-standard photo quality taken by the camera turned me off and I went back to using iPhone and Huawei phones living with the notch till someone invents a notchless display still able to have face id and other features.
Geros_Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:56 PM   #5

The presence of the notch and other phone makers having the notch is not about copying to have the notch BUT rather to copy of the thinnest bezel technically possible and still maintain features like Face ID, front cam, etc.

The race to have the smallest bezel is the reason for the existence of the notch. I used the Oppo Find X for a short while as I liked the notchless display and the ultra thin bezel. The motorised camera was also an attraction for me but the sub-standard photo quality taken by the camera turned me off and I went back to using iPhone and Huawei phones living with the notch till someone invents a notchless display still able to have face id and other features.
just maybe mi mix 3 might be the one for u.
RLWZ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:01 AM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

I dunno abt how the others feel.. but I prefer a phone with slim top and bottom bezels for housing the speakers/sensors/cam than one with a notch to house those stuff.. the protrusion of the notch into the screen space is like a rude intrusion (into the screen space)..

Last edited by 8-lane; 08-11-2018 at 07:04 AM..
8-lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #7

I prefer bezels to notches as well. And I'd rather take bigger bezels if all sides are uniform, instead of a chin like Mix 2S.
hiakhiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:17 PM   #8

have you seen google pixel 3?
as the youtube channel jerryrigeverything mention in the recent teardown "it has a notch large enough to land a plane"
if a notch is as large and wide as that, its as good as chopping 15% of the display off and looks disgusting which most user will "turn off" the notch anyway.
it probably a reason for what apple does for iphone but not all OEMs think that way. why? just look at other china generic android phone, they treat it as a feature rather than flaw.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:24 PM   #9

I dunno abt how the others feel.. but I prefer a phone with slim top and bottom bezels for housing the speakers/sensors/cam than one with a notch to house those stuff.. the protrusion of the notch into the screen space is like a rude intrusion (into the screen space)..
precisely but sadly the market pickup the wrong thing that Apple throw out.
notch, headjackless, not replaceable battery rather than their seamless experience. WTF!
Old 08-11-2018, 05:37 PM   #10

You can choose not to buy.
its not about what not to buy but the influence it has to the market, more phone with excellent specs but a notch destroy the overall designed.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:25 AM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

its not about what not to buy but the influence it has to the market, more phone with excellent specs but a notch destroy the overall designed.
If less people are buying, lower demand will lead to lower sales.

If lower sales, manufacturers will not continue to sell phones with notch in future.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:53 AM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

I agree. I had to search beyond the usual brands just to find a decent spec model that doesn't come with a notch.

While we are it, I also propose "Stop removing 3.5 mm jack nonsense "
xonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #13

I agree. I had to search beyond the usual brands just to find a decent spec model that doesn't come with a notch.

While we are it, I also propose "Stop removing 3.5 mm jack nonsense "
precisely and the trend have become such that you pay less for better designed.
like a budget phone would have no notch and with audio jack but flagship devices would be the opposite.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #14

If less people are buying, lower demand will lead to lower sales.

If lower sales, manufacturers will not continue to sell phones with notch in future.
well, the thing is lots of consumers want the latest and greatest but not the notch yet they are force to live with it.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:38 AM   #15

Android OEM should stop copying the crap notch designed by apple.
This is the moment of history where Reesey single-handedly ended the era of Android with a notch.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.