HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

least overhead anti virus. pls recommend

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #31

TS, how low is your low? Everyone have their own definition. Looking at this thread, the most popular free AV most member recommended is Avira.

Below is a review taken from wilderssecurity.com on 4 popular free AV. It may help you on your decision.

AVG 8.0 Free Edition

What's nice about AVG is the detection rates, and real time protection, plus the email scanner included in the package together with anti virus and anti spyware. AVG detects every sample i threw at it. but the main problem with AVG is it's a resource hog, it takes a lot of ram and cpu usage usually when scanning, opening programs or surfing the web. But i assure you with AVG you are safe.

RAM usage - 40-55MB for resident shield. too much for a pc with only 256mb of ram.
I recommend avg for pc with higher specs.

Avast 4.8 home Edition

This is a complete protection Anti Virus, Anti Spyware, Anti Rootkit, includes email scanner, Web Shield and network shield which acts as a lightweight firewall. detection is fair, it failed to detect a sample of mine which is in archive. which Avira and AVG detects.

It also has a boot scanning capabilities which is very nice.

Ram and cpu usage is light to fair.
20-30MB for resident scanner (real time protection)

some problems i encountered with Avast is, it has a lot of false positive and with this free version you need to baby sit the product when doing on demand scanning. plus it can't delete infection while it is running in your system.
All in all this is still the most complete free version product and much lighter than AVG

AntiVir 8.1 Personal Free Edition

Detection rate is as good as AVG but 5X lighter than AVG. All sample i threw at it were caught. but it missed spywares which the product doesn't include
it only has Anti Virus, Anti Rootkit and Anti Phising. No email scanner so if your using Web based mail this is for you.

RAM and CPU usage very light, but when scanning on demand the CPU takes up to 50MB with 70% CPU usage. Fast Scanning. But the advertisment is very annoying each time you update, plus the free version's update is somehow very long to complete.

Avira Guard - 10-20MB only

If your not regularly surfing the web and you use web based emails and you have low specs on your pc this product is for you.

PC Tools Antivirus 4.0

The lighest of all products you dont even feel it's their protecting you, it has Antivirus, email scanner, Intelli-guard for real time protection, Auto update and schedule scanning. fair detections, it cleaned and detected my brontoks and some variants of it.

The only problem here is it doesn't have antispyware and other things. its pure anti virus. plus it destroyed my Spyware Terminator. which is a legitimate software. PC Tools detected it as a mutant virus or something like that.

CPU and RAM - lightest of all, you can even work with your computer while doing scans.

Intelli-Guard - 4-10mb only

If your not an expert with anti virus program then this is for you, its just install and forget.
chankh70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 01:57 PM   #32
Ian
Master Member

Symantec Endpoint Protection v11.0.2020.56

see my thread

the best out there
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 04:03 PM   #33

ah ok

from my point of view,
free = its free, enough said....
paid = some guarentee that it will protect....
Old 26-08-2008, 05:17 PM   #34

i would recommend Avira too.. for freeware...

but anti virus cannot protect more..

u need a good anti spyware to protect ur pc

i will recommend SuperAntiSpyware
Agree. But real time protection is not enable in free version of SuperAntispyware.

BOClean should fill in the anti-spyware gap rather well. BoClean is really good, but it takes about 18-20 MB RAM. If an AV misses something, BOClean is there to stop it.

Another recommendation is free Threatfire which I've been using. It takes about 10 MB ram on my system. Malware today has taken so many forms that the behavior-based scanning approach seems to be better and (IMO) probably safer.

There are other free anti-spyware and malware applications we can try like MS Windows Defender, Spyware Terminator and Spybot. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 26-08-2008, 11:02 PM   #35

I'm using Avira + Windows Defender + Spybot TeaTimer. 3x real time protections still very light on system load.
PC-User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 11:24 PM   #36
Arch-Supremacy Member

Agree. But real time protection is not enable in free version of SuperAntispyware.

BOClean should fill in the anti-spyware gap rather well. BoClean is really good, but it takes about 18-20 MB RAM. If an AV misses something, BOClean is there to stop it.

Another recommendation is free Threatfire which I've been using. It takes about 10 MB ram on my system. Malware today has taken so many forms that the behavior-based scanning approach seems to be better and (IMO) probably safer.

There are other free anti-spyware and malware applications we can try like MS Windows Defender, Spyware Terminator and Spybot. Different strokes for different folks.
SuperAntispyware Real time protection only take 3mb ram only..
Old 27-08-2008, 01:16 AM   #37
Supremacy Member

AS are generally more thorough in CLEANING infected pc. But realtime AS is over-rated imo. U sacrifice cpu cycles for realtime AS, but diminished gain in actual protection.

Since what's transmitted are not ad/spyware bodies themselves but the trojans, droppers tat download them... For those ur AV is much much higher detection rates compared to AS. Even installg an AS when generally nothing's wrong is wasting time & scaring urself when FPs occur.
hlots123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #38

basically trying to find the lightest loh... am always worried realtime scanning slows HDD speed and CPU ..
antivir got ads right?
Old 27-08-2008, 06:21 PM   #39

basically trying to find the lightest loh... am always worried realtime scanning slows HDD speed and CPU ..
antivir got ads right?
You should make a compromise between security and performance. By choosing the right antivirus, the impact should be negligible.

antivir free ads can be block. Google for the solution.
Old 30-08-2008, 05:14 PM   #40

i just join the rank of satisfied Antivir user

except for the antispyware part, which can be solve easily using other software, i am happy. antivir managed to detect what my previous AV can't
emuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #41

This one seems to have the lightest system load, least memory usage, fastest scan speed among paid antivirus:

http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Home%...DOffice/VIPRE/

Comparison chart:

http://www.vipreenterprise.com/Why-V...IPRE-Stats.htm

OT: I've added in Webroot Desktop Firewall for further protection. Now (maybe for a limited time) it's FREE instead of $19.95. It has a rather clean and neat interface. Grab it to try...

http://www.webroot.com/En_US/consume...pfirewall.html

Last edited by PC-User; 31-08-2008 at 10:14 PM..
Old 31-08-2008, 10:54 PM   #42
High Supremacy Member

how is this Webroot Desktop Firewall compare to the Comodo?
cannotliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:26 PM   #43
High Supremacy Member

Been using AVG 8.0. Just updated to 8.0.169. No problem. But I just dislike the system hog and ram eating nature. Currently AVG is no longer the good old AVG I am used to during version 7 days. Slow scanning, ram hogging and slow response.

Not very sure if I wanna change to another free AV cos all the uninstalling and reinstalling can lead to major problems. But if I happen to reformat or change comp I swear nv to touch AVG anymore. Got Linkscanner, spyware etc what chapalang also have.
Luckily now can disable Linkscanner without that irritating ! sign. Resident Shield took almost 80MB which is supremely high considering competing AV takes only 20-30MB.
FinalTidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:54 PM   #44

how is this Webroot Desktop Firewall compare to the Comodo?
This you need to try for yourself...
Old 01-09-2008, 11:17 PM   #45

...Not very sure if I wanna change to another free AV cos all the uninstalling and reinstalling can lead to major problems...
Don't worry it won't. I've changed from...

Norton AV (bundled, didn't like)

to

Zonealarm Security Suite (worked well for sometime, but blocked the internet connection recently after a Windows XP update)

to

Avira Antivir (couldn't decide, need to try others)

to

AVG (too slow, also if you disable some option like Email scanning, it won't show an all-clear green light, didn't like that)

back to

Avira Antivir (satisfied for the mean time)

Everytime after uninstalling and reboot, I'd do a registry scan and clean-up. In fact you should do that after playing with major software applications to keep your registry near perfect and healthy. My previous Win98se PC ran for >7yrs without reformatting, maintaining by just using Microsoft's Regclean and Norton Utilities' WinDoctor. PC is like our health, need to see see doctor to have regular check-ups...
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.