HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

least overhead anti virus. pls recommend

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #46
Master Member

how is this Webroot Desktop Firewall compare to the Comodo?
Comodo will create some issue with USB devices. I experience this problem when install in my office laptop, whenever I plug in my thumbdrive, it will not detect it.

After uninstall Comodo Antivirus, the problem went away. When I do a search and found out I not the only one having this issue.

I not very sure does Comodo solve this issue now or any brother had solution to solve this issue.
kaicheng83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:11 PM   #47
High Supremacy Member

This you need to try for yourself...
i go back to Comodo, the webroot firewall dont support multiple users. mean i got to log off everything i want to change to other user in same PC.
cannotliao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:42 AM   #48

Sorry to have recommended that lame Webroot. I've tested it with several leak tests and ditched it since.
That crap just sat there and let everything passed thru.

While Comodo is made very complicated in the menu system, it's too troublesome to go thru and be clear of all of them (my habit when trying new software).
PC-User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:51 AM   #49

Don't worry it won't. I've changed from...

Norton AV (bundled, didn't like)

to

Zonealarm Security Suite (worked well for sometime, but blocked the internet connection recently after a Windows XP update)

to

Avira Antivir (couldn't decide, need to try others)

to

AVG (too slow, also if you disable some option like Email scanning, it won't show an all-clear green light, didn't like that)

back to

Avira Antivir (satisfied for the mean time)
back to

Zonealarm Security Suite (updated for XP update fix, for its strong firewall, OK but slower antivirus and antispyware)
Old 05-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #50
Supremacy Member

Sorry to have recommended that lame Webroot. I've tested it with several leak tests and ditched it since.
That crap just sat there and let everything passed thru.
I've heard Webroot has memory leaks, but it shud pass most basic leaktests. Not defending it, nor do i like firewalls/leaktests, but jus making sure u tested it correctly. Eg. Was it out of Training mode? Did u enable "Enable Process Detection"?
hlots123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:58 PM   #51

I'm not 100% sure but I think so. Isn't it firewall applications should alert when there're stranger applications (meaning first launch) trying to connect to the internet or sending out signal?

Zonealarm basic firewall (free) could stop some simple apps but for those that hijack/use other apps (like IE) to connect to the outside would still able to pass thru. Only Zonealarm full could stop all pass thru that's why I reverted back to it and for the time being let go the very good Avira Antivir...
Old 05-09-2008, 06:07 PM   #52

Why no one comment on MS Windows Live OneCare ?

SGD 68 for 3 user licenses. Embraced with microsoft products, thus good speed (in term of performance).

siewhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #53
Supremacy Member

I'm not 100% sure but I think so. Isn't it firewall applications should alert when there're stranger applications (meaning first launch) trying to connect to the internet or sending out signal?
Then likely u were still in training mode, so ur leaktest results for it are in error. From webroot's manual abt its training mode:
During the training period, it determines trusted activities and does not open
pop-up alerts, which could amount to numerous messages (however, you can change it so pop-up
alerts do display every time, as described in
“Changing the Display Alerts setting”
on page 15).
Later, if Desktop Firewall detects other activities not found during the training period, it blocks the
activity and opens a pop-up alert. From the alert, you can then accept or block the traffic yourself.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:03 PM   #54
High Supremacy Member

Why no one comment on MS Windows Live OneCare ?

SGD 68 for 3 user licenses. Embraced with microsoft products, thus good speed (in term of performance).

with this money i better go buy Kaspersky.
cannotliao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:48 PM   #55

Then likely u were still in training mode, so ur leaktest results for it are in error...
I recall I put it in the highest setting mode, that is with the most alerts so that I was clear about what was going on in my system and also the effectiveness of the software. I always do the same thing when trying any firewall applications like Comodo, ZoneAlarm, Jetico (which produced almost non-stop alerts which made it so annoying that I stopped trying it instantly )
Old 05-09-2008, 10:31 PM   #56
Supremacy Member

I recall I put it in the highest setting mode, that is with the most alerts so that I was clear about what was going on in my system and also the effectiveness of the software.
Seemed like highest setting didn't matter - as long as u are still in Training Mode, then Training Mode behaviour applies. I just searched for how it does in leaktests, so confirmed u were in Training Mode.

Anyway, this FW has memory leaks (RAM) ovr time, so u'd prob change it anyway.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:04 AM   #57
Supremacy Member

i recommend try 2 free anti-virus software first. test out AVG and Avast. tried AVG 6 some time ago. I'm using Avast now. During background scan, memory usage is not much and cpu utilization is low.

It prompts me bright alert msg when there is suspected trojan detection during downloading for a *.exe file. The file is not yet even open, and it already detect it as trojan.
marcoyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #58
Supremacy Member

Russian anti-malware.ru testlab, tested AV's effect on various PC performance parameters.

This recent article not on their english site yet, so see bablefish translation for now, http://translate.google.com.sg/trans...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Edited translation page link..

Last edited by hlots123; 06-09-2008 at 02:12 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.