HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

portable antivirus s/w, anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 08:57 AM   #1

portable antivirus s/w, anyone?

due to an influx of viruses/trojans on school coms, every1 has been afraid to plug their thumbdrives in. their AV software don't seem to help in any way. i'm thinking if there's any portable AV that can be installed on the thumbdrive to scan strictly for any incoming viruses or not.

tried searching for eset portable but seems like it's a fake, cos' i couldn't find it on the originator's site. any idea?
randomystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Supremacy Member

http://freedrweb.com/cureit/

http://ftp.kaspersky.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/

or use clamwin portable
Rainbow1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #3

kaspersky one cannot be loaded leh

actually i'm strong inclined towards' eset AV, anyone tried the portable version before?

which is the most reliable one (for port ver.) anyway?
Old 07-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

u want to protect ur own pc/thumbdrive? or u want to scan/clean every host computer u plug ur thumbdrive into, using no-install av (which is impractical)?

i think they are 2 very different things.
hlots123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
Supremacy Member

Try Dr Web Cure it than
Rainbow1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:49 PM   #6
Supremacy Member

Try Dr Web Cure it than
How? If host pc is infected, u have to do complete scan/clean using dr web cureit on the host pc & ur thumbdrive - how long would that take, sit there & wait?

Then bring thumbdrive back to ur pc, u will undoubtedly scan the thumbdrive again. So why bother scanning/cleaning the host pc anyway?
Old 07-08-2008, 07:33 PM   #7

u want to protect ur own pc/thumbdrive? or u want to scan/clean every host computer u plug ur thumbdrive into, using no-install av (which is impractical)?

i think they are 2 very different things.
nope i'm not going to protect the com, not the it admin anyway.

just gonna protect the thumbdrive from viruses, which means to scan any intrusion into the drive.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #8
Supremacy Member

I thot so too, so i think dr web cureit, clamwin portable etc is NOT what u are looking for. Think u want those u3 type usb AV (e.g. avast!) that runs a realtime av guard for ur thumbdrive. I dun have any experience with those (i hate u3), but NONE ARE FREE i think. Also, if u pass ur thumbdrive to fren, doesn't mean ur fren will run or update the u3 antivirus for u.

Bottomline is, probably easier to protect own pc than to protect thumbdrive. Eg. disable autorun, always manually scan thumbdrive after it has been in other pple's pc, look to see if any unknown files added inside thumbdrive etc. Important files in ur thumbdrive backup to own pc 1st before lending out or using outside.

Some pple also suggest creating an empty Read-Only file "autorun.inf" on an NTFS-formatted thumbdrive (edit, also need to deny all for all users in permissions). Will not prevent malware files being copied to it, but prevents bad autorun.inf file being created that will autorun the malware on another fren's pc.

Last edited by hlots123; 07-08-2008 at 08:20 PM..
Old 07-08-2008, 08:16 PM   #9

eh.. i thought the thumb can only be formatted in fat32 mode? the autorun dummy's a gd idea. i had one virus previously that cloned all over my com and also other PCs with autorun.inf and another file in recycler, very irritating.

yup something like u3, but i don't like it too any non-u3 and realtime thumb scanner would be appreciated, don't mind paid s/w.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:34 PM   #10
Supremacy Member

eh.. i thought the thumb can only be formatted in fat32 mode?
Ntfs also can, just google. BUt some say increase wear.

yup something like u3, but i don't like it too any non-u3 and realtime thumb scanner would be appreciated, don't mind paid s/w.
Non-u3, with realtime guard - dun think there is. Easier to disable autorun & just scan with ur own PC's antivirus after use. Personally i prefer to use a virtualized/sandboxing app (e.g. Returnil) before plugging any suspect thumbdrive in my com. Or dual-boot to linux OS if u already using.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:56 AM   #11

hmm, ntfs or fat32 will make a diff in malware intrusion? what's the relationship here?

u see, when the sch com is used to do some work, then after that transfer work to thumbdrive, so only can be scanned with the sch AV(which is damn lousy, low hit rate) . if plug into own laptop and scan, it'd be too late already. malware can make intrusion from the moment it's plugged in, even when it's in not autorun mode. don't know how it works though..

tried sandbox last time but feel it's too troublesome already =/
Old 08-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #12
Supremacy Member

hmm, ntfs or fat32 will make a diff in malware intrusion? what's the relationship here?
It's only to set the "read-only/deny all" file permissions for the dummy autorun.inf file.

If plug into own laptop and scan, it'd be too late already. malware can make intrusion from the moment it's plugged in, even when it's in not autorun mode. don't know how it works though../
No lah, malware file = program file = must be executed for it to run & infect. No autorun means it remains a file in thumbdrive that's not run.

When accessg the drive via My Computer, safer to Right-click> Open, instead of double-click. Some systems will still autorun when d-clicking on drive, despite autorun disabled. Not sure why, but happens on some PCs.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:51 PM   #13
Supremacy Member

When accessg the drive via My Computer, safer to Right-click> Open, instead of double-click. Some systems will still autorun when d-clicking on drive, despite autorun disabled. Not sure why, but happens on some PCs.
Sorry, what I said above is wrong. Shud be:

Safer to use My Computer> Folders> From left pane, access the thumbdrive.

Because some systems will still autorun when D-clicking on drive, or Right Click>Open despite autorun disabled.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:27 AM   #14

Mx One is an antivirus designed for protect the devices of extraible storage like memoirs usb (also well-known as pendrives), iPod., mp3, mp4, memoirs M2, SD, microSD, Between many but devices in an effective and totally gratuitous way.

http://www.mxone.net/en/

HTH!
ducth1vs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.