www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Apple Clinic (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/apple-clinic-5/)
-   -   [Mac 101] Ask your questions here! (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/apple-clinic-5/%5Bmac-101%5D-ask-your-questions-here-2743564.html)

n0d3 17-04-2010 08:30 AM

Bump for newbies.

FLiNcHY 17-04-2010 10:16 AM

ok SHIOK

went down to epicenter and asked them if they would put an SSD drive in for me. They said they could, just have to pay an installation fee of 120 bucks

OMG 27 inch i7 imac with intel x-25 ssd drive

win already

I'm selling my 24 inch LED display and mac mini with x-25 ssd drive already.

n0d3 17-04-2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLiNcHY (Post 45133466)
ok SHIOK

went down to epicenter and asked them if they would put an SSD drive in for me. They said they could, just have to pay an installation fee of 120 bucks

win already

That's nice to know...although $120 is a bit too expensive for me (but I could/would DIY so for you I guess it'll be worth the cost). Still waiting for SSD prices to drop...

AristDing 17-04-2010 12:12 PM

Hey guys, I'm in need of help.

My MBP running on Snow Leopard keeps getting stuck at the grey screen.

Running in verbose mode doesn't seem to reveal the problem.

Holding C or D with the SL DVD in inserted doesn't seem to invoke any kind of response.

Any other ideas?

clokwerk0 17-04-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLiNcHY (Post 45133466)
ok SHIOK

win already

interesting... other than the upgraded HDD, would the upgrade affect the warranty coverage for the iMac, since the upgrade is being done by an Apple reseller?

from what i understand, only the RAM is a user upgradeable part in the iMac... i could DIY HDD upgrade using guides available on the net, but not looking to void APP for my iMac...

FLiNcHY 18-04-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clokwerk0 (Post 45141320)
interesting... other than the upgraded HDD, would the upgrade affect the warranty coverage for the iMac, since the upgrade is being done by an Apple reseller?

from what i understand, only the RAM is a user upgradeable part in the iMac... i could DIY HDD upgrade using guides available on the net, but not looking to void APP for my iMac...

that one i think you can check on the macrumors forum. quite a few people have been putting x-25 ssds into the imac i7s.

there's even a whole long discussion thread on it. i don't think it'll void the warranty, but go check to be sure

cuz i think the 7200 rpm hard drive is the real bottleneck here. what for have a super fast computer and so much ram, when its only on a 7200 rpm drive which will slow everything down to a crawl.

even my 2.12ghz core 2 duo mac mini now is launching photoshop in 2 seconds. But i guess i need more power when i'm running more cpu intensive photoshop actions.

Ki33ran 18-04-2010 10:54 AM

getting my 15" i5 next week.

Just wanted to ask if applecare is worth it? :) and usually how much is a 8GB kit?

PetPet 18-04-2010 02:08 PM

8gig kit @ 600ish any higher, find another shop.
Remember buy from reputable shops like SGL memoryworld or questek.com.sg

Tell them it's for macbooks. (:

PetPet 18-04-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLiNcHY (Post 45157968)
that one i think you can check on the macrumors forum. quite a few people have been putting x-25 ssds into the imac i7s.

there's even a whole long discussion thread on it. i don't think it'll void the warranty, but go check to be sure

cuz i think the 7200 rpm hard drive is the real bottleneck here. what for have a super fast computer and so much ram, when its only on a 7200 rpm drive which will slow everything down to a crawl.

even my 2.12ghz core 2 duo mac mini now is launching photoshop in 2 seconds. But i guess i need more power when i'm running more cpu intensive photoshop actions.

I'm running on a intel SSD so, here's my what I'll say.

It's snappy and it makes you addicted even on a mere MBP.
Everything just launch without much waiting time.

if you are in an office it'll be bad. Because you would be working twice as fast for the same pay.

frozenh2o 18-04-2010 03:00 PM

where did you get your intel SSD? how much did it cost you and whats the space like? =D looking to up the ante on my 2009 mbp

FLiNcHY 18-04-2010 03:52 PM

got it in SLS at chamoxa i think. sold as Kingston, but they use intel ssds anyway.

80gb only. I'm a professional wedding photographer. So all my work is stored on external harddisks. Only the work that I currently work on is put on my computer harddisk.

PetPet 18-04-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenh2o (Post 45162710)
where did you get your intel SSD? how much did it cost you and whats the space like? =D looking to up the ante on my 2009 mbp

I'm still using the first generation of e intel SSD.
Since G2 doesn't offer trim, well not to the mac counterparts.

Got it for about 5xx?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLiNcHY (Post 45163935)
got it in SLS at chamoxa i think. sold as Kingston, but they use intel ssds anyway.

80gb only. I'm a professional wedding photographer. So all my work is stored on external harddisks. Only the work that I currently work on is put on my computer harddisk.

I got it from Chamoxa, that's right.
Yea, all my schoolwork on my 2nd HDD.
OS and system files are dumped to the SSD.

ChenHoNam 18-04-2010 08:06 PM

Hi guys , when buying mbp , the hdd 5400rpm and 7200rpm is it a lot of difference ?

or leave it as default , next time then upgrade hdd ?

:s12:

NightFalcon8 18-04-2010 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChenHoNam (Post 45169720)
Hi guys , when buying mbp , the hdd 5400rpm and 7200rpm is it a lot of difference ?

or leave it as default , next time then upgrade hdd ?

:s12:

I'm also pondering this question before I decide to buy the MBP 15". Perhaps should just leave it status quo and upgrade to a SSD Drive when there are promotions or price drop. Then use the internal harddrive as an external drive lor.

FLiNcHY 18-04-2010 11:59 PM

if you can just upgrade to SSD

harddisk makes all the difference. don't care whether you are i7 processor, 8gb ram or not. if your harddisk is 5400rpm, your computer will crawl

7200 also, once your harddisk gets more and more programs.

SSD will blaze away and ensure that there is no bottleneck in performance