HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

Like Tree3681Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2010, 12:23 AM   #1711

Bootcamp problems

Hi guys, not sure if this was asked before but i wasn't able to find my answer in the FAQ repository...

Q1. I have just gotten my MacBook recently and want to bootcamp it. I read on sites that bootcamp supports only up to 64bit Windows XP/Vista and it is only on MacBook Pro. Is that true? Cause i wanna install a 64bit Windows 7 on my MacBook.

Q2. If something goes wrong with my bootcamp. Or in future if i choose to undo the bootcamp. Can i repartition my HDD space back to original?
newkidontheblock likes this.
DouglasLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:45 AM   #1712

Hi guys, not sure if this was asked before but i wasn't able to find my answer in the FAQ repository...

Q1. I have just gotten my MacBook recently and want to bootcamp it. I read on sites that bootcamp supports only up to 64bit Windows XP/Vista and it is only on MacBook Pro. Is that true? Cause i wanna install a 64bit Windows 7 on my MacBook.

Q2. If something goes wrong with my bootcamp. Or in future if i choose to undo the bootcamp. Can i repartition my HDD space back to original?
Managed to find some answers on the net and hope you guys can help me clarify if there is any mistakes in my understanding.

To Bootcamp using Windows 7 64bit you have to update your bootcamp to the latest 3.1 version. And there are 2 separate versions for the 3.1, one is for 32bit and the other for 64bit Windows.

If the bootcamp goes wrong or if you want to repartition your HDD u may use bootcamp assistant to do so. Which should not be too much of a problem.
DouglasLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #1713

Portable HDD to store >4GB file and accessible by both Windows and Mac

I need a portable HDD to store some large files (mainly home video files which is larger than 4GB), and I need to access from both Mac and Windows.

I installed NTFS-3G on Mac and format the HDD to NTFS, it works, however the speed is unbearable. For example, a 16G video folder took me 35 minutes to copy to the NTFS HDD, while the same took only 9 minutes to a HFS HDD.

My Mac and PC all don't have eSATA or Firewire or USB3.0, so USB 2.0 is the only option.
Anyone has the same requirement and management to solve it?
lowend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #1714

Portable HDD to store >4GB file and accessible by both Windows and Mac

I need a portable HDD to store some large files (mainly home video files which is larger than 4GB), and I need to access from both Mac and Windows.

I installed NTFS-3G on Mac and format the HDD to NTFS, it works, however the speed is unbearable. For example, a 16G video folder took me 35 minutes to copy to the NTFS HDD, while the same took only 9 minutes to a HFS HDD.

My Mac and PC all don't have eSATA or Firewire or USB3.0, so USB 2.0 is the only option.
Anyone has the same requirement and management to solve it?
An NAS provides an abstraction layer so you can access your files using most common OSes. But if you transfer files to and fro often, speed is also an issue there.

At the end of the day, it depends on which OS will be used to access the HDD more often, Mac or Windows.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #1715
Arch-Supremacy Member

anyone noes how to change the dock and icons?
ITretard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:31 PM   #1716

use candybar.. but trial limited to 15 days and 250 icons

here's the link
Old 06-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #1717
Arch-Supremacy Member

use candybar.. but trial limited to 15 days and 250 icons

here's the link
thanks.. after the trial no more liao? on macthemes forum they say use geekspiff. but like harder...
ITretard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #1718

transferring to, and running my itunes off of an external

tried copying my entire itunes library by copying the folder onto an external hdd, then plugged it into my new imac, then clicking on "option" when i launched itunes so it can recognise the new library. my library shows up on itunes with the song list, playlists, number of plays et al., it's great.

though half my library turns up with a ! - i have to physically locate each file within the external and link it up again. anyway i can do it easier still?

comments much appreciated, been trying to resolve this for too long. thanks!
nemes_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:30 AM   #1719

can try liteicon also... quite a good free alternative. but cannot change the dock.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:06 AM   #1720
High Supremacy Member

tried copying my entire itunes library by copying the folder onto an external hdd, then plugged it into my new imac, then clicking on "option" when i launched itunes so it can recognise the new library. my library shows up on itunes with the song list, playlists, number of plays et al., it's great.

though half my library turns up with a ! - i have to physically locate each file within the external and link it up again. anyway i can do it easier still?

comments much appreciated, been trying to resolve this for too long. thanks!
i normally import myself, dun like itune to manage the folders.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:39 AM   #1721

UPgrading imac RAM

does anyone know if we can use DDR3 RAM for the imac (17" white 2006 CD)?

thanks!
ripclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #1722
Banned

Iphone INternet tethering

As above how is the charges like?

is it using our data plan?
chuanwee_YEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #1723

As above how is the charges like?

is it using our data plan?
yes using your data plan.
PetPet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:59 AM   #1724
Supremacy Member

over the past few months, my macbook (aluminum, non-pro) has a problem that begins to show more n more prominently.

at 1st, i just found the trackpad unresponsive, but since i use a mouse most of the time i did not bother with the problem. but recently i found my macbook unstable, in that it can "tilt". that's when i realized the battery of the macbook is bloated and the battery cover is now pushed open slightly by the bloated battery. i am unable to open the now-deformed battery cover at all now.

this caused the trackpad to be unresponsive too from what i read on the apple forums. my battery also cannot hold its charge anymore (battery % drops fast when unplugged and macbook shuts down within 5min).

i bought applecare extended warranty.

my questions are:

1) does the applecare cover this particular problem? (i expect to have the battery, and the now deformed battery cover replaced)

2) can i call/go to ANY of the service centres listed here (http://appleclinic.wordpress.com/200...rvice-centres/) to get it fixed?

3) anyone else experienced the same problem?

the charger light used to turn green when battery is full, but now it is always orange. i don't think the problem occurred because i plug in the charger 24/7 right?

i have a powered usb hub that i plug in 24/7 too, and i suspect that is the culprit instead.

thank you for reading and i appreciate any answers/feedbacks.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:08 AM   #1725

Hello Sleepyboi,

1. Call up AppleCare first. Yes they will and should replace both the battery and now the deformed battery cover.

2. We will recommend you to head down to Sunshine Plaza E-Serv.

3. The battery is bloated, if I were you I'll remove the battery (and place it far away from me until the day I bring it to the service center) from my macbook and stop charging the battery. It's always orange because the battery is bloated. And no, I always leave my macbook docked with a powered usb hub that I plug 24/7. I don't face this problem.
PetPet is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.