www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Apple Clinic (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/apple-clinic-5/)
-   -   [Mac 101] Ask your questions here! (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/apple-clinic-5/%5Bmac-101%5D-ask-your-questions-here-2743564.html)

boreboor 05-04-2008 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anfielder (Post 29229801)

cool tip there!

JackBauerBack 05-04-2008 01:17 AM

Quote:

Wow.. This is good..:s12:

Cyborg_T1 05-04-2008 01:32 AM

1) How to add 'new tab' button in Safari?
2) How to configure mouse button to go back in web browser?
3) How to view PDF file in webpage using FireFox?
4) How to change icons?
5) How to make quicktime play XVID videos?
6) How to use spotlight as a calculator
7) What's Ctrl+alt+del in mac osx?
8) How to print screen in mac?

enough? :p

Angelus_jr 05-04-2008 02:23 AM

Quote:

thanks! thats exactly what i need! :s12::D

anfielder 05-04-2008 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelus_jr (Post 29232760)
thanks! thats exactly what i need! :s12::D

i got that through google by the way... hahah

kevpaang 05-04-2008 10:19 AM

Hi all,
I'm a new user of MB for a couple of wks now n i got a serious qn to ask;
Recently i D/L 'FileGuard-X5' to lock up my working docs but when the trial ended, i uninstalled it using 'AppDelete'. After deleting it etc, i was shocked to see when i right-click mouse -> more, the freaking 'FileGuard' is still there!
I opened it n the app still can respond like normal but strangely, the app cant be found inside my app folder where i D/L n installed it. I search my HD for it but no results.
Anyway, whenever i open it, it will always create a icon/file inside my docs folder.
Can any old bird guide me on how to remove it completely? What did i done to my beloved MB?

Thks!!

leinad 05-04-2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevpaang (Post 29234796)
Hi all,
I'm a new user of MB for a couple of wks now n i got a serious qn to ask;
Recently i D/L 'FileGuard-X5' to lock up my working docs but when the trial ended, i uninstalled it using 'AppDelete'. After deleting it etc, i was shocked to see when i right-click mouse -> more, the freaking 'FileGuard' is still there!
I opened it n the app still can respond like normal but strangely, the app cant be found inside my app folder where i D/L n installed it. I search my HD for it but no results.
Anyway, whenever i open it, it will always create a icon/file inside my docs folder.
Can any old bird guide me on how to remove it completely? What did i done to my beloved MB?

Thks!!

Hello there... Think the Contextual Menu Item was still left when you removed the app...

Look in the folder "Contextual Menu Items" under the "Library" folder in your home folder. It should be there.. If not, try the "CMI" folder under "Library" in the root folder /.

HTH.
/Dan

kevpaang 05-04-2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leinad (Post 29234865)
Hello there... Think the Contextual Menu Item was still left when you removed the app...

Look in the folder "Contextual Menu Items" under the "Library" folder in your home folder. It should be there.. If not, try the "CMI" folder under "Library" in the root folder /.

HTH.
/Dan

Hi Dan,
Thank you very much for your super fast reply! *Cool!!*
So basically i just drag the file to the trash bin n it remove the 'FileGuard' thingy when i right click my mouse?
Errmm...on more nood qn....how i know which files will be related to the 'FileGuard'? I still dun know my mac well enough...will i accidently del some vital stuffs in the 'CMI' folder? What should i look out for?

Thks!!!

oyebto 05-04-2008 10:30 AM

Quote:

super duper useful. thnz a lot. =)

leinad 05-04-2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevpaang (Post 29234942)
Hi Dan,
Thank you very much for your super fast reply! *Cool!!*
So basically i just drag the file to the trash bin n it remove the 'FileGuard' thingy when i right click my mouse?
Errmm...on more nood qn....how i know which files will be related to the 'FileGuard'? I still dun know my mac well enough...will i accidently del some vital stuffs in the 'CMI' folder? What should i look out for?

Thks!!!

Well, it's usually not a good idea to go around deleting unknown files - things might break. As for that one file you're sure of, please trash it. You may need to enter an admin password if it was in the root Library folder... Oh, and you might need to reboot to use.

You could try Preferences under library, with the general format com.companyname.application.. Those are related, but they are so small they shouldn't pose much of a problem.

Apps like AppDelete and AppZapper try to remove all these pref files for you.. They aren't strong when it comes to files put in other places - that's not really "normal" behaviour for most apps...

/Dan

kevpaang 05-04-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leinad (Post 29235063)
Well, it's usually not a good idea to go around deleting unknown files - things might break. As for that one file you're sure of, please trash it. You may need to enter an admin password if it was in the root Library folder... Oh, and you might need to reboot to use.

You could try Preferences under library, with the general format com.companyname.application.. Those are related, but they are so small they shouldn't pose much of a problem.

Apps like AppDelete and AppZapper try to remove all these pref files for you.. They aren't strong when it comes to files put in other places - that's not really "normal" behaviour for most apps...

/Dan

Hi Dan,
Got it all fixed up...many thks to u & thks to u i learnt something new today. :)

leinad 05-04-2008 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevpaang (Post 29236296)
Hi Dan,
Got it all fixed up...many thks to u & thks to u i learnt something new today. :)

Oh no worries... Could I invite you to look through our FAQ and give suggestions as to what other questions/guides would be beneficial to you as a new user? I've been using OS X for so long, I've forgotten how it's like to be new. :o

Pai seh ah, but I hope you can understand how it's like.. We sometimes take for granted the smallest things.

/Dan

leinad 05-04-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyborg_T1 (Post 29232012)
1) How to add 'new tab' button in Safari?
2) How to configure mouse button to go back in web browser?
3) How to view PDF file in webpage using FireFox?
4) How to change icons?
5) How to make quicktime play XVID videos?
6) How to use spotlight as a calculator
7) What's Ctrl+alt+del in mac osx?
8) How to print screen in mac?

enough? :p

I think this is a decent list.. :) I believe Nitrile has just put up a nice page on print screen, the rest will benefit from graphical help, so it might take a bit of time...

Spotlight as a calculator isn't really necessary, no? But no harm. Let's just put it in later to expand the list of questions.

/Dan

kevpaang 05-04-2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leinad (Post 29236342)
Oh no worries... Could I invite you to look through our FAQ and give suggestions as to what other questions/guides would be beneficial to you as a new user? I've been using OS X for so long, I've forgotten how it's like to be new. :o

Pai seh ah, but I hope you can understand how it's like.. We sometimes take for granted the smallest things.

/Dan

Sure sure...i actually got it all printed out n treat it as my 'Mac for Dummy'.:D
Anyway, can u recommend me a freeware app that can lock up my personal file?
I d/l n tried many but all too chim cos must do partition volume etc. I just need something good n simple like 'FileGuard' which is just a right click away to password secured my one folder but sadly must pay....*haiz*.
I know there is a 'File Vault' in our mac but think it will lock up all my folders (unless there is more than meet the eye), it's kinda troublesome cos i just want to secure my work related docs only.

Thks!

leinad 05-04-2008 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevpaang (Post 29236852)
Sure sure...i actually got it all printed out n treat it as my 'Mac for Dummy'.:D
Anyway, can u recommend me a freeware app that can lock up my personal file?
I d/l n tried many but all too chim cos must do partition volume etc. I just need something good n simple like 'FileGuard' which is just a right click away to password secured my one folder but sadly must pay....*haiz*.
I know there is a 'File Vault' in our mac but think it will lock up all my folders (unless there is more than meet the eye), it's kinda troublesome cos i just want to secure my work related docs only.

Thks!

This I don't have any idea to, since I have no need to secure an individual folder...

IMO, the use of filevault is more for the entire HDD.. Suppose you lose your mac, and someone wants the data on your HDD.. the normal way would be to log in right? But since they do not have your password, the next best way would be to extract the physical HDD and plug it to another Mac to retrieve the contents.. Filevault protects your entire home folder so that other mac cannot view the contents.

I think some of the other users could advice on this single-folder utility.. This is a bit out of my league, sorry. :(

PS: I'm sure there should be freeware around that does this, given how popular it would be in the Unix world... Guess we could search?

/Dan