HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

Like Tree3676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2008, 09:24 PM   #31

I think some of the other users could advice on this single-folder utility..
Why not use encrypted disk images, created with Disk Utility? Don't save the password in the Keychain (and please use a different password from your account).
newkidontheblock likes this.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:53 AM   #32

I try installing bootcamp on windows a few days back but decided to remove the partition because i see no use in windows on my mac. however, i realised that i may have lost some disk space - maybe a few hundred mb - in the process of partitioning.

is there anyway to reclaim the apparent lose in disk space?
shiahzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:56 AM   #33
High Supremacy Member

Why not use encrypted disk images, created with Disk Utility? Don't save the password in the Keychain (and please use a different password from your account).
Oh right.. This is a wonderful idea... I forgot all about that option, cos I don't usually have anything to hide.

/Dan
Old 06-04-2008, 03:46 AM   #34

is it possible to set where iphoto stores its images?
gign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #35

is it possible to set where iphoto stores its images?
Yes, you may.

http://appleclinic.wordpress.com/200...lt-dir-iphoto/

Last edited by aloysius_xavier; 06-04-2008 at 12:49 PM..
aloysius_xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:25 AM   #36

I try installing bootcamp on windows a few days back but decided to remove the partition because i see no use in windows on my mac. however, i realised that i may have lost some disk space - maybe a few hundred mb - in the process of partitioning.

is there anyway to reclaim the apparent lose in disk space?
Anybody wants to help me with this?

TIA.
shiahzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #37

Errmm...sound technical...can u give me a rough guide on how to do it? I googled it but too many results until i blur.
Anyway, i saw Keychain in my mac but whats the purpose of it?I havent go n explore it out.

Thanks!
kevpaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:38 AM   #38
High Supremacy Member

Anybody wants to help me with this?

TIA.
Unfortunately, this would be out of my league.. I don't really need windows to the extent of having to Boot Camp... I do know you need to run Boot Camp again to repartition/reclaim the used space once you've decided to do away with windows.

/Dan
Old 07-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #39
High Supremacy Member

Errmm...sound technical...can u give me a rough guide on how to do it? I googled it but too many results until i blur.
Anyway, i saw Keychain in my mac but whats the purpose of it?I havent go n explore it out.

Thanks!
Keychain is the built in centralised password storage/tracking application... Keychain-compatible apps (Safari, Finder, some other 3rd party ones) swill store their passwords in there. You can configure it as appropriate, even to prompt you to enter your login password everytime it wants to autofill keychain information, if necessary.

As for the disk image, fire up Disk Utility, click on "New Image", give it a name, a size (the maximum size you expect the folder to be + a bit more space as needed), then the encryption method.

/Dan
Old 07-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #40

hi i have a qn, just now i changed some display settings for a presentation, now i can't change back to the original settings! the options for 1920 is not there. max is only 1280. im using a macbook. any help?
siegeholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #41

Keychain is the built in centralised password storage/tracking application... Keychain-compatible apps (Safari, Finder, some other 3rd party ones) swill store their passwords in there. You can configure it as appropriate, even to prompt you to enter your login password everytime it wants to autofill keychain information, if necessary.

As for the disk image, fire up Disk Utility, click on "New Image", give it a name, a size (the maximum size you expect the folder to be + a bit more space as needed), then the encryption method.

/Dan
Thks for the explanation again Dan.
I think the disk image should be what i need since its only 1 folder but for the encryption...will it be difficult to config? I havent fully understand the feature of my mac yet....so far i just use the basic word processing etc.
kevpaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:02 PM   #42
High Supremacy Member

Thks for the explanation again Dan.
I think the disk image should be what i need since its only 1 folder but for the encryption...will it be difficult to config? I havent fully understand the feature of my mac yet....so far i just use the basic word processing etc.
I quickly tried to set one up, and I must say it's extremely easy... Perhaps you could try and play around with it? It shouldn't change anything for you.

Just set it to not remember the password in your keychain, and each time you open the DMG, you'll be prompted for your password.

No worries, we were all beginners at some point or other, and for some who are longtime PC users, the mindset shift is quite disconcerting - it's sometimes hard to believe that tasks like installing and uninstalling are so easy... Took me a couple of moments to get it, but now, I cannot stand .exe installers.

I'm quite sure that with some exploring, you'll start to find other uses to improve your productivity.

/Dan

Last edited by leinad; 07-04-2008 at 12:04 PM..
leinad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #43
High Supremacy Member

hi i have a qn, just now i changed some display settings for a presentation, now i can't change back to the original settings! the options for 1920 is not there. max is only 1280. im using a macbook. any help?
Unplug the display and reboot the macbook.. PLug it in after reboot and see how things go...

I think the recent 10.5.2 update had some display issues, which I'm hoping would be fixed in 10.5.3 (the developer seeds of which were rushed out for testing just within the last week)

OS X 10.4 started working really well for me only around 10.4.6 or so... I expect there to be some bugs, as that's in the nature of software engineering.

/Dan
Old 07-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #44

alright thks for the help!
siegeholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:30 PM   #45
qt

You can try clicking on 'Detect Displays' in 'System Preferences' > 'Displays'. OS X will then reattempt to detect all your displays.
qt is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.