[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

PetPet

Reaction score
Precision screwdrivers normally come with #0 and not #00. You'll need to specifically look out for #00, which is a grade smaller.

You can try and force the #0; it will work but with some difficulty.

/Dan
errr I understand many people here are hulks and have tons of strength, please dont over do it. :s13:
if not the screwhead strips or something... that's it :s22:

sg_Dan

Reaction score
what model r u using? I managed to get Huawei E169 to work on my mbp :)

am using M1 ZTE thumbdrive modem...model no. K3565-Z... mbp can detect the device but safari cannot use it to connect to internet...

Last edited:

emuji

Reaction score
i got a problem. think my MB got a dust or something on the LCD. i don't think it is a dead pixel as it appears to be outside. looks like dust particle got compressed too hard.

anyone knows how to fix it? i try using screen cleaner but couldn't get it off :o

kawatsu

Master Member
Reaction score
I understand that i need to do a full battery drainage and recharged it fully again at least once a week right?

So the rest of the time i can just plug in the power cable to my laptop?

or can i actually charge the battery to full everytime it left 10 mins of battery time?

I'm using macbook pro unibody.

Thanks!

geokian

Reaction score
hey...anyone knows any good graph plotting software for Mac OS?...something like SciDavis...need it for my lab report...my module dun accept excel graph!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

mushroom_ger

Reaction score
hihi~

i can't find a way to edit my music file info on a mac...
Anyone can help?
Is there a way? Or i need to edit the info in iTunes?

Thank you very much!

kawatsu

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm using MBP 15" and may i know if i should buy applecare???

Is it worth investing in applecare?

Do macbooks have a reputation of spoiling easily within 3 years?

I bought this macbook pro for more than 1 mth already, can i still purchase applecare?

Many thanks!

I'm bored

Reaction score
My Adium keeps d/c when uTorrent is running. Any idea why? :(
Adium 1.3.6
uTorrent 0.9.1.2

kawatsu

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm using MBP 15" and may i know if i should buy applecare???

Is it worth investing in applecare?

Do macbooks have a reputation of spoiling easily within 3 years?

I bought this macbook pro for more than 1 mth already, can i still purchase applecare?

Many thanks!

Any one??

And another question: how come my battery life is getting shorter? used to be more than 7 hours, and one week later, its 5 hours!

I've been using battery all these while, or should i just plug directly to the power source?

kodeiko

Master Member
Reaction score
Any one??

And another question: how come my battery life is getting shorter? used to be more than 7 hours, and one week later, its 5 hours!

I've been using battery all these while, or should i just plug directly to the power source?

I think you can still buy as long as you're within the first year of warranty.

Battery life is a bitch to calculate. Download coconutBattery and watch your current battery capacity and max. Keep recording it to get a reliable reading level to compare against.

Actually, just plug the MBP to the power source and use if you're at home. It's good to use your battery often but not this often as you'll be using up its charge cycles sooner. Then once a month or so, complete discharge your mac in a process named recalibrate.

kawatsu

Master Member
Reaction score

Battery life is a bitch to calculate. Download coconutBattery and watch your current battery capacity and max. Keep recording it to get a reliable reading level to compare against.

Actually, just plug the MBP to the power source and use if you're at home. It's good to use your battery often but not this often as you'll be using up its charge cycles sooner. Then once a month or so, complete discharge your mac in a process named recalibrate.

Oh.. Thanks alot!

I always thought that if i dont connect that regularly to the power source, i can have a longer battery life!

Thanks for clarifying!

Downloaded coconutBattery, and my battery life is always 97% to 98%, never 100%..

Did you get the applecare? Its $500 for student price! :(

extemporisation

Reaction score
One question here...

For the 13" MBP (mid 2009), are there any known issues with ram upgrades? Must I stick to Hynix chips?

TIA!

jerminator

Reaction score

jerminator

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a totally brand new Mac user...only about 3 days old :p
recently when i plugged in my iPhone, this message popped up: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/jermlai/Screenshot2009-09-05atPM105146.png
and this follows: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/jermlai/Screenshot2009-09-05atPM105152.png

with my iPhone unplugged...when I click on iPhoto the same thing happens..
can anyone here advise me on how to get rid of this?

ok nmind.... -.-" this sorta worked for me

Go to your Pictures Folder and find the iPhoto Library there. Right (or Control-) Click on the icon and select 'Show Package Contents'. A finder window will open with the Library exposed.

Look there for a Folder called 'Import' or 'Importing'.

Drag it to the Desktop. Make no other changes.

jchongll

Reaction score
does anyone knows how to change the home window (command+h) name?

its your user/admin account. you can create a new admin account, log into the new admin account and delete the previous old admin account. bear in mind, this will make the files stored in the previous admin account inaccessible at times...

emuji

Reaction score
It seems like my queries keep getting ignored, sad :(

let me try again here:
I need help. I have detected a small dust speck inside my aluminum MB. I am very sure it's a dust speck as it's so different from dead or bright pixel. My MB is still under warranty. Will the warranty cover this? Anyone has the same experience?

Anyone has issue with wireless connection dropping intermittently after upgrading to snow leopard? I am on Singnsingularsing the 2WIRE router. Anyway to resolve this issue?

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
It seems like my queries keep getting ignored, sad :(

let me try again here:
I need help. I have detected a small dust speck inside my aluminum MB. I am very sure it's a dust speck as it's so different from dead or bright pixel. My MB is still under warranty. Will the warranty cover this? Anyone has the same experience?

Anyone has issue with wireless connection dropping intermittently after upgrading to snow leopard? I am on Singnsingularsing the 2WIRE router. Anyway to resolve this issue?
For the Speck, bring to applecare and try your luck. Nobody can really advise since we're not working with Apple. If it does bother you to a large enough degree, you could try and get the screen replaced. Best to call the hotline and get authorization before you go down. 6835-1812.

As for the modem, it's already been brought up many times that the 2wire crap is useless for non-intel wireless chipsets. Get another router - most of us have no issues with the Dlink DIR-655, so that comes pretty heavily recommended other than the Apple ones. There are reported problems with the Linksys implementation, so YMMV.

/Dan

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Actually, I disagree. I find that regular use prolongs the battery life more than leaving it plugged in. There'll naturally be a balance. The problem with this advise is that we assume people bring their laptops out often enough for the battery to still be used reasonably. This isn't the case for most Singaporeans though - they're more likely to leave their laptops at home and tethered to the power point like a desktop.

The battery is designed to retain 80% of the charge for 300 full charge/discharge cycles. That's good enough for me. If you've used some other laptop brands, they don't even get that kind of stats. I'm at 163 cycles and still 98% battery health.

/Dan

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.