HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

Like Tree3681Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #871
Master Member

Which codec pack for os x ??

Sorry if this has been posted before, tried searching in google but no definite ans. In M$ windows there is klite codec pack & cccp & the likes, what about for OS X ??

I am using perian, is this the de facto codec for OSX that can play most media files or is there a better one??
newkidontheblock likes this.
spell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:29 PM   #872

Sorry if this has been posted before, tried searching in google but no definite ans. In M$ windows there is klite codec pack & cccp & the likes, what about for OS X ??

I am using perian, is this the de facto codec for OSX that can play most media files or is there a better one??
flip4mac wmv for wmv videos.
perian will also do.
and use vlc player, it will play almost any kind of videos.

Last edited by seahsq; 09-07-2009 at 06:36 PM..
seahsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:23 AM   #873
High Supremacy Member

I am looking forward to a unique wallpaper about ZIPPO , I am not satisfied with the one made from pandaapp.com,I am sure that you know the website who can diy wallpapaer easily, maybe u can help me ?
NO
sharshar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #874

Cannot change account name

Hi,

I bought my Macbook from a friend, and has been trying to change the account name. Although the admin name has been changed to my name, the owner still shows my friend's name. Under the account (preferences), the short name shows my friend's name. This name cannot be edited despite several attempts. I hope someone here can advise coz I do not want my Mac to keep showing another name as the owner. Thanks alot
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #875

question: can i use my old external HDD(used in windows before) to my new macbook?
mackie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #876
High Supremacy Member

Hi,

I bought my Macbook from a friend, and has been trying to change the account name. Although the admin name has been changed to my name, the owner still shows my friend's name. Under the account (preferences), the short name shows my friend's name. This name cannot be edited despite several attempts. I hope someone here can advise coz I do not want my Mac to keep showing another name as the owner. Thanks alot
reformat is ur best option
sharshar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #877
Master Member

Hi,

Set up another account and migrate the files over then delete it.. I did it before.. here's what a quick google turned up.. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1428

You can use this app too.. though I've never tried it.
http://www.macshadows.com/kb/index.p...rtname_In_OS_X

Last edited by viix; 10-07-2009 at 05:03 PM..
viix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #878

Hi,

I will be receiving my mbp ltr today. As i have just switch over to mac camp. I hope clarify some issue.

I have purchase a new 320gb 7200rpm hard disk to replace the factory 1.

Do i need to format it first before installing the os x on it? Or i can just go straight to installing from the dvd?

Last edited by Dinorex; 14-07-2009 at 10:19 AM..
Dinorex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #879
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi,

I will be receiving my mbp ltr today. As i have just switch over to mac camp. I hope clarify some issue.

I have purchase a new 320gb 7200rpm hard disk to replace the factory 1.

Do i need to format it first before installing the os x on it? Or i can just go straight to installing from the dvd?
if you have hdd enclousure, use disk ultility to format it once at least. after which do partitioning if required. then using cc copy program to 'clone' from your original hdd to the new hdd.

after all is being done, you can just replace the original hdd to your new 1 and you are good to go.

no need to use the cd and install everything over again.
Old 14-07-2009, 11:57 AM   #880

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Just got my mbp delivered to my office. I am thinking of getting a linksys NAS200 with 2 1TB hard disk to use with time machine and file storage.

I also want use it to set up a raid 1 for my mac. I also have googled for the step on how to do it. Anyone fimilar with that on a mac and any feedback or suggestion regarding this setup?
Old 14-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #881

since the MBP is new and theres no personal data on it to port over... can skip the cloning process...

replace original HDD with new HDD, and run throught the installation process with installation disc...
Old 06-08-2009, 12:57 AM   #882

macbook pro hang

sorry i'm new to mac and i have a qn..

just now i opened system profiler but the icon keeps jumping and it didnt open. so i tried to restart the mac. after a while, a prompter poped up to ask if i wanna force quit the programme. so i force quit and the mac restarted.

after the mac restarted, only the bg appeared and nothing else. the mouse pointer can still move. i pressed the power switch and the shut down option came up but when i click, nothing happened. it happened a few times until i pressed the power switch for a while until the mac shut down..

this is the first time this happened and i got my macbook pro 13" just 2 weeks ago..is this a serious problem?
garros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:12 AM   #883
Arch-Supremacy Member

hi, can someone enlighten me abt the differences for the graphic card performance on a mbp 15" 2.66Ghz model which has a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB and the 2.88Ghz model which has a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB.

thanks alot. hope this will help me to choose which model to buy.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:23 AM   #884

Need someone's enlightenment. How do i minimise the screen while playing games on the mac like to check my emails and to return to the game later instead of quitting the game?
Christmas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #885
Master Member

Hi,

I know this question has been asked many times and i really hope you guys will bear with me.

I really hope to get a macbook pro but am hesitating as all along im using Windows... and i need to calculate the rough cost of owning a macbook pro..

May I know how much is the Microsoft Office + Outlook 2007 for Mac?

No HDMI port output?

Can support HD movies, realplayer, windows media player, etc?

Any cons on owning a macbook?

Many thanks
kawatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.