HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

Like Tree3681Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-04-2008, 01:15 PM   #76

i think that cannot be changed. or at least, no one has found the answer yet.

however, if you don't like the icon, you can consider reflt. different icons and you will be even able to do triple boot
hmm, I saw my fren imac, he manage to change the Leopard HD, but when i asked him why he didnt change xp Hd, he said he dunno how.
newkidontheblock likes this.
Old 18-04-2008, 09:27 AM   #77
Master Member

Hello,

have been having some issues upgrading flash plugin for firefox on my wife's macbook. When installing it'll be stuck on Searching for Macintosh HDD while it keeps searching, nothing seems to be happening. Did everything as said on flash website including fixing the permissions but still stuck on searching for macintosh hdd.

Another problem is the preview on Macbook. Can't seem to use it. Click on it nothing happens. Can't seem to preview anything, including jpeg files.

Can someone recommend a 3.5 external hdd for my wife's macbook. Thinking of getting at least 250gb. But i'm not sure which are compatible.

Please help, lots of thanks to everyone in advance.
yanbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 11:16 AM   #78

Hi guys...

Ques: Synchonizing Outlook Folder to MacBook.

I've managed to set up an Account in my MacBook using the iMail. Can I actually Synch all the existing mail in my Outlook to my iMail? Many thanks all.
DevilinDisguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #79
High Supremacy Member

Hi guys...

Ques: Synchonizing Outlook Folder to MacBook.

I've managed to set up an Account in my MacBook using the iMail. Can I actually Synch all the existing mail in my Outlook to my iMail? Many thanks all.
Outlook would be on a PC? You'll need to check around the net for a tool to do just that. There are a couple, but I believe mostly commercial. There's some good freeware, but I think some other users are better suited to advise on this - I use Gmail so it doesn't bother me, I can always reset the sync dates if I desire, or switch to IMAP.

/Dan
Old 18-04-2008, 11:59 AM   #80
High Supremacy Member

Hello,

have been having some issues upgrading flash plugin for firefox on my wife's macbook. When installing it'll be stuck on Searching for Macintosh HDD while it keeps searching, nothing seems to be happening. Did everything as said on flash website including fixing the permissions but still stuck on searching for macintosh hdd.

Another problem is the preview on Macbook. Can't seem to use it. Click on it nothing happens. Can't seem to preview anything, including jpeg files.

Can someone recommend a 3.5 external hdd for my wife's macbook. Thinking of getting at least 250gb. But i'm not sure which are compatible.

Please help, lots of thanks to everyone in advance.
I've just reinstalled the flash plugin on my MBP.. No issues. Download it from adobe's web site (While you're at it, download the uninstaller too. The new flash plugin fixes a security bug!)

Uninstall the Flash plugin, reboot... Repair permissions, reinstall the flash plugin. It should install for all your browsers.

/Dan
Old 18-04-2008, 12:02 PM   #81
Arch-Supremacy Member

I have a good one "maybe". How do you guys open winRAR file ?
Old 18-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #82
High Supremacy Member

I have a good one "maybe". How do you guys open winRAR file ?
Hmm.. I can't remember, but doesn't this extract by default with the usual extractor helper app? I know I have betterZip installed, but I don't recall using BetterZip to extract RAR, .tar.gz, or zip...

In any case, if you want to be absolutely sure, The Unarchiver.

/Dan
Old 18-04-2008, 12:18 PM   #83
Master Member

Hmm.. I can't remember, but doesn't this extract by default with the usual extractor helper app? I know I have betterZip installed, but I don't recall using BetterZip to extract RAR, .tar.gz, or zip...

In any case, if you want to be absolutely sure, The Unarchiver.

/Dan
Oei! http://appleclinic.wordpress.com/200...-rar-file-osx/
Old 18-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #84
Master Member

What do you mean by nothing happens? When you click on its Dock Icon, does it bounce and launch? Would dragging a .jpg file into its Dock Icon launch it? How about when you simply double-click on a .jpg?

If none of the above happens, it sounds like your Preview.app is corrupted. And that can happen if your harddisk developed bad clusters, or become coruppted over-time. I suggest you run Disk Utility now to verify it, and Repair it if necessary. But of course, that won't rejuvenate your damaged Preview.app.

But frankly, judging from the issue you have with Flash installer, your OS might also be screwed as the Installer may be going loops to find a file.

I'd say fix your harddisk and re-install OS X.

Last edited by RupertGee; 18-04-2008 at 12:27 PM..
RupertGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 12:27 PM   #85
High Supremacy Member

Haha, Yeah, I know it was there. Just that I happened to download TheUnarchiver earlier and the link was still in my browser window.

Sorry unker rupert.

/Dan
Old 18-04-2008, 04:12 PM   #86
Master Member

I've just reinstalled the flash plugin on my MBP.. No issues. Download it from adobe's web site (While you're at it, download the uninstaller too. The new flash plugin fixes a security bug!)

Uninstall the Flash plugin, reboot... Repair permissions, reinstall the flash plugin. It should install for all your browsers.

/Dan
Problem is i tried the uninstaller too and it also has the same problem. Hangs there while the wheel just keeps spinning. Wonder whats the problem.
Old 18-04-2008, 04:17 PM   #87
Master Member

What do you mean by nothing happens? When you click on its Dock Icon, does it bounce and launch? Would dragging a .jpg file into its Dock Icon launch it? How about when you simply double-click on a .jpg?

If none of the above happens, it sounds like your Preview.app is corrupted. And that can happen if your harddisk developed bad clusters, or become coruppted over-time. I suggest you run Disk Utility now to verify it, and Repair it if necessary. But of course, that won't rejuvenate your damaged Preview.app.

But frankly, judging from the issue you have with Flash installer, your OS might also be screwed as the Installer may be going loops to find a file.

This sounds kind of weird. But when my wife bought the MB from the shop at 5th floor of funan, it didn't come with the OS X disk. I didn't realised that till a few months later, which i guess might be too late right ?

Anyway, when i click on it, it does bounce but it does not launch. Double-click a jpg file, nothing happens too.
Old 18-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #88
Master Member

This sounds kind of weird. But when my wife bought the MB from the shop at 5th floor of funan, it didn't come with the OS X disk. I didn't realised that till a few months later, which i guess might be too late right ?

Anyway, when i click on it, it does bounce but it does not launch. Double-click a jpg file, nothing happens too.
Sorry for my bluntness. I saw the disk in a small box of the big box. Whatever it is .. i found it.
Old 18-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #89
Master Member

Fix my hardisk as in get a new one?
Old 18-04-2008, 05:48 PM   #90
Master Member

Fix my hardisk as in get a new one?
Try repairing it first mah. Cannot repair then you go buy the huge one you wanted, ok?

You ever use Onyx to maintain your OS X anot?

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582

Go to the Automation tab and tick those options as pictured then click Execute.

Make sure you let Onyx verify your Harddisk when it launches.

Good luck.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.