HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

Like Tree3681Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #91
Master Member

Try repairing it first mah. Cannot repair then you go buy the huge one you wanted, ok?

You ever use Onyx to maintain your OS X anot?

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582

Go to the Automation tab and tick those options as pictured then click Execute.

Make sure you let Onyx verify your Harddisk when it launches.

Good luck.
ok repaired my hdd. Flash is installed, preview is in, but its in japanese ???? How come? How to get it back to english?
newkidontheblock likes this.
yanbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #92
Master Member

ok repaired my hdd. Flash is installed, preview is in, but its in japanese ???? How come? How to get it back to english?
Read the 2nd half: http://appleclinic.wordpress.com/200...se-text-input/
Old 19-04-2008, 12:06 AM   #93

hey guys.. was wondering how to install the themes from interfaceLIFT.com

i tried using shapeshifter but i get a

Preferences Error

Could not load ShapeShifter preference pane.
bellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 02:52 AM   #94

Hello all, I have this issue and I need your expert advice.

I am using a 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo MacBook, 1 GB RAM with Leopard (patches are all updated). Every time when I play DOTA I cant quit WC3FT client properly. The screen just stalls there after I click "Quit". Is there anything wrong?

Also is there a way to alt tab out of DOTA to the desktop with Leopard?
bedposthalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #95
Master Member

Read the 2nd half: http://appleclinic.wordpress.com/200...se-text-input/
I tried that still does not work. I ctrl click more info on preview and treid to change the language for preview but there isn't any English there. There is a add button, but where do i find the english to add into the language?
yanbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #96
Master Member

Hi guys,

I'm at the crossroads here thinking of getting a PC laptop or a Mbp. Have been using PC for the past 15yrs...so the leap of faith is scary. After reading and getting some recommendations..some even proclaim "I will NEVER use a PC again" statement really makes me think whether is it time to get a Mac.

I had loads of question in my mind....lots n lots...before i decide whether to make the leap...probably i will juz shoot whatever qn I hv now and any kind apple fan care to share their views to me.

1) Security issues in Mac OS - If I decide to hv a dual boot..Win XP & Mac OS in my Mbp then do I need to install the Firewall/AntiV/Anti-watever on to XP or MAc OS?

2) Which security software is most secure with Mac OS?

3) Bootcamp works by creating a partition to divide the different OS. Let's say i switch on my mpb n it boots in Mac OS then half way i need to switch to win XP, i need to switch on & off to reboot into XP?

4) If in Mac OS, can chat with friends in MSN a nt?

5) I'm a sucker for sopcast and online streaming movies..Sopcast used to watch soccer keke...so Mac OS can do all these things?

That's all for now...Anyway just to say a bit why I'm at the crossroad is becoz my PC passed away last night...and i think is high time I buy either a new lappie or desktop...so mpb is one on the high list...to consider...
eD|t|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 12:33 PM   #97
Master Member

Keke...on 2nd thought...i think mbp is out of my leag. Just saw the damage...piang $3k min lor...my budget is <2.5k so if possible is the macbook black colour. 13" 2.4ghz C2D.

I dun do much gaming...mostly is for work, e-mail, msn, sopcast, movie streaming etc..

Next question:

1) Battery life, any comments about battery in macbook? Pc laptop i can plug out the battery in case i using plug to power coz wouldn't want to spoilt the battery in the long run. However in macbook, i think the batt is in built, so how...? battery wear off easily a nt from the constant charging?

2) With the normal configuration in the macbook i buy, can i add ram..for example the default comes with 2gb ram, wanna add 1gb more can?

Thanks for your time.
Old 19-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #98

Read below for answers...

Hi guys,

I'm at the crossroads here thinking of getting a PC laptop or a Mbp. Have been using PC for the past 15yrs...so the leap of faith is scary. After reading and getting some recommendations..some even proclaim "I will NEVER use a PC again" statement really makes me think whether is it time to get a Mac.

I had loads of question in my mind....lots n lots...before i decide whether to make the leap...probably i will juz shoot whatever qn I hv now and any kind apple fan care to share their views to me.

1) Security issues in Mac OS - If I decide to hv a dual boot..Win XP & Mac OS in my Mbp then do I need to install the Firewall/AntiV/Anti-watever on to XP or MAc OS?

You will probably need to install Antivirus and Anti-spyware in Windows OS and probably just enable the firewall in Mac OS.

2) Which security software is most secure with Mac OS?

Erm...not really needed..in my opinion.

3) Bootcamp works by creating a partition to divide the different OS. Let's say i switch on my mpb n it boots in Mac OS then half way i need to switch to win XP, i need to switch on & off to reboot into XP?

If I'm not mistaken, you need to restart your machine and then press the option button to choose which OS to load. Use Parallels or VMFusion instead if you wish to access Windows on the Mac OS.

4) If in Mac OS, can chat with friends in MSN a nt?

You can use MSN Messenger for Mac but recommended applications would be Adium and aMSN.

5) I'm a sucker for sopcast and online streaming movies..Sopcast used to watch soccer keke...so Mac OS can do all these things?

No that I know of. Sopcast, ppmate,pplive, TVAnts all currently are not supported for Mac OS. There's only one way...loading up sopcast in parallels Windows OS, then using VLC in Mac OS to watch on Mac Platform. Else, just simply load sopcast in Windows.

That's all for now...Anyway just to say a bit why I'm at the crossroad is becoz my PC passed away last night...and i think is high time I buy either a new lappie or desktop...so mpb is one on the high list...to consider...
Hope my answers are of help...
crashfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 04:57 PM   #99

Keke...on 2nd thought...i think mbp is out of my leag. Just saw the damage...piang $3k min lor...my budget is <2.5k so if possible is the macbook black colour. 13" 2.4ghz C2D.

I dun do much gaming...mostly is for work, e-mail, msn, sopcast, movie streaming etc..

Next question:

1) Battery life, any comments about battery in macbook? Pc laptop i can plug out the battery in case i using plug to power coz wouldn't want to spoilt the battery in the long run. However in macbook, i think the batt is in built, so how...? battery wear off easily a nt from the constant charging?

In Macbook, the battery can be removed from the machine, but I wouldn't recommend that you plug out the battery at anytime. Just remember to do monthly calibration for your battery. Read the Calibration advice from Apple here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

2) With the normal configuration in the macbook i buy, can i add ram..for example the default comes with 2gb ram, wanna add 1gb more can?

yes, the new intel Macs all use the same RAM and hard disk as the other PC notebooks. Usually for 2GB Ram, it comes in 2 x 1GB ram, effectively taking up the two slots for MacBook. You could just buy 2 x 2GB instead, bringing your total memory to 4GB. 2GB ram can be had for less than $60 these days in sim lim square. Just remember to keep your original RAM, in case you need to send your machine back to Apple for repairs.

Thanks for your time.
Hope the answers will help welcome you to the Apply family soon...
Old 19-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #100

hey guys.. was wondering how to install the themes from interfaceLIFT.com

i tried using shapeshifter but i get a

Preferences Error

Could not load ShapeShifter preference pane.

anyone can answer my question? greatly appreciated. thanks
bellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #101
Master Member

So crashfire,

1) You'r saying if use Mac OS X no need security software or firewall to prevent any attacks/spywares etc?

2) Can use bootcamp and parellels @ the same time?

3) I go online store to check if add ram how much...damage is like $600 more than usual price juz to make 2gb to 4gb...why isit so..? If i buy the 2 x 2gb ram from sim lim/outside, where can fix it up for me...? Will it void the warranty?

3) Who knows macbook ram is use which ram? kingston? cosair?
Old 19-04-2008, 10:59 PM   #102

To Bellick:
1. What software do i need in order to install themes on Mac OS X?
Currently, all themes distributed by InterfaceLIFT for use with Mac OS X require ShapeShifter by Unsanity L.L.C.. ShapeShifter costs US$20.00 and has a trial period which allows you to evaluate the software before purchase (subject to change by Unsanity L.L.C.).

For more information about ShapeShifter or to download the latest versions, please visit: http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/shapeshifter/

*Note - Shapeshifter currently does not work with Mac OS 10.5

To eD|t|0n:
1) You'r saying if use Mac OS X no need security software or firewall to prevent any attacks/spywares etc?

I meant lesser compared to Windows as they usually target the dominant OS to infect. For me, I only use Firewall to secure my Mac. For more security information regarding Mac OS, refer to this link by one of the Mac Users here: http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks...x-security.ars

2) Can use bootcamp and parellels @ the same time?

Nope, you use bootcamp when you first switch on your Mac, choose to start with either the Mac OS or Windows OS. For parallels, you can run the windows in a window on your Mac OS. You can use the same windows partition on bootcamp to start parallels.

3) I go online store to check if add ram how much...damage is like $600 more than usual price juz to make 2gb to 4gb...why isit so..? If i buy the 2 x 2gb ram from sim lim/outside, where can fix it up for me...? Will it void the warranty?

Erm...Apple needs to pay all those Apple Geniuses' salaries...so the high cost...
Anyway, you can just get the RAM from the shops in sim lim and if you bring your macbook there, they will fix it in for you. Its actually pretty simple to install your own RAM in a Macbook, just check ifixit.com. Warranty-wise, it may void it, but that why you need to keep the original RAM that comes with your Macbook so that you can put the original RAM back in before you send it for repair.

3) Who knows macbook ram is use which ram? kingston? cosair?
The RAM that apple uses varies, just like the LCD panel... but heard something that the RAM with micron chips work the best, though so far, just the usual Kingston RAM works fine..also the RAM comes with lifetime warranty.[/QUOTE]

Hope I have provided the answers to your questions and may you be a happy owner of a new MacBook soon. (I'm still a very new user to the Mac community and so, moderators and the Mac Old Birds, please correct me if any information I have provided is wrong)
Old 20-04-2008, 12:20 PM   #103

To Bellick:
1. What software do i need in order to install themes on Mac OS X?
Currently, all themes distributed by InterfaceLIFT for use with Mac OS X require ShapeShifter by Unsanity L.L.C.. ShapeShifter costs US$20.00 and has a trial period which allows you to evaluate the software before purchase (subject to change by Unsanity L.L.C.).

For more information about ShapeShifter or to download the latest versions, please visit: http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/shapeshifter/

*Note - Shapeshifter currently does not work with Mac OS 10.5

To eD|t|0n:

The RAM that apple uses varies, just like the LCD panel... but heard something that the RAM with micron chips work the best, though so far, just the usual Kingston RAM works fine..also the RAM comes with lifetime warranty.
Hope I have provided the answers to your questions and may you be a happy owner of a new MacBook soon. (I'm still a very new user to the Mac community and so, moderators and the Mac Old Birds, please correct me if any information I have provided is wrong)

I have been using 4GB Kingston ValueRAM for my MBP on my SR MBP since eons ago, so far so good, no problems whatsoever. Just make sure the RAM is PC-5300 677MHz DDR2
aloysius_xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #104
Master Member

should i wait till 3rd qtr to buy new mb becoz there is rumours apple discountinuing the mb & mpb currently...?
Old 21-04-2008, 08:31 PM   #105
Master Member

To Bellick:

3) when i upgraded my ram at ishop, they changed my ram to twinmos with elpida chips. didnt noe they are those til i went sls and bought kingson rams for my macbook which happen to use the same ram chips. and yes they work fine.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.