[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

b0h3mian_summer

Reaction score
Got a question here.

I have 2 partitions on my mac.

"System" - where all my apps are
"Stuff" where I keep all my music, videos etc.

I tried copying the whole "Stuff" into my external fw hdd, (fat32) and it stopped at roughly 75%, saying that the copy cannot continue as I do not have sufficient permissions for some of the files. Onyx and Disk Utility doesn't seems to be able to repair the permissions on my "Stuff" partition.

Is there a way to solve this problem? This way of backup is quite ancient I know, but I somehow feel safer this way.

Thanks!!!

PS: As far as I can recall, Superduper only works with the "System" partition right?

Last edited:

RupertGee

Master Member
Reaction score
Did you try ticking the "Ignore ownership on this volume" option when you "Get Info" on your Stuff drive?

If all else fails, I would copy folder by folder to narrow down the culprit and fix the offending file.

Errz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
isit possible to use Macbook pro OS X installation disc on a Macbook?

friend's client macbook hard disk spoil, he change one for him and his client say dun have the installation disc. so this friend of mine, ask me to lend him my disc. did try to google but cant find any answer

anfielder

Master Member
Reaction score

friend's client macbook hard disk spoil, he change one for him and his client say dun have the installation disc. so this friend of mine, ask me to lend him my disc. did try to google but cant find any answer

probably won't work, but no harm trying

RupertGee

Master Member
Reaction score

Your friend is better ioff getting a replacement copy from Apple; its needed not just to install the OS but also for disk maintenence. 1800-my-apple.

Errz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your friend is better ioff getting a replacement copy from Apple; its needed not just to install the OS but also for disk maintenence. 1800-my-apple.

yeah. told him to get the retail pack already

thanks!~

Pankake

Reaction score
I need some help here, hopefully the experienced users here can shed some info. :)

I've been having problems trying to get the sound to come out from my TV when connected via dvi-hdmi. I have a Macbook Pro and a 32" Bravia which I have connected together with dvi-hdmi cable. I have no trouble with the picture at all but I learnt that this cable doesn't carry the sound along with it.

I went to the Wheelock Epicentre today and picked up the Belkin Stereo Link Cable, which according to one of the staff there, is supposed to work. So I've plugged it into the red & white inputs (says left and right) below the two HDMI ports on the TV. The other end is plugged into my MBP's headphone jack-thing.

No sound is coming out still. I've tried googling the problem and checking various other forums and tweaking with the TV's settings but nothing works.

Anybody here know of how to fix this? Have I done something wrong/purchased the wrong cable? Sorry this is so lengthy and noobish. :X

Thanks in advance!

Pankake

Reaction score
Is this the cable? http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/belkin-stereo-link-cable/

It's the "wrong" one becoz your TV is getting your Mac Book Pro's video from the HDMI input, but your MBP's audio is connectted to another video input (that takes in analog RCA signal.) Their path don't cross. :)

To make your setup work, connect the RCA output to a dedicated amp.

Yup that's the cable!

Err, what if I don't have a dedicated amp? :X

Thanks for the heads up!

grande5

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How do i send the exact same email to everyone without revealing each other's addresses?

in mail.app of course :D

RupertGee

Master Member
Reaction score
Put their names in the "BCC:" field (it is normally hidden until you turn it on under View->Bcc Address Field.)

Bcc = Blind Carbon Copy.

Last edited:

RupertGee

Master Member
Reaction score
Yup that's the cable!

Thanks for the heads up!

Use a headphone, maybe? :D

It's *very* expensive to convert analog audio signal from your mbp's headphone out to digital signal for the dvi/hdmi cable.

ardneh

Reaction score
Yup that's the cable!

Thanks for the heads up!

how about PC Speakers? I connected mine to a cheap 50 bucks 4.1 Creative speakers. works wonderful.. (I guess, i'll only find out how bad it is when i purchase that dedicated amps and external speakers)

none-more-black

Reaction score
Hi,

Ok, I've actually posted this up on a separate thread, but I've gotten no replies, so I figured this thread would be better?

I need to confirm what firewire chipset the new Macbooks and Macbook Pros use. Previously, Apple used TI chipsets but have switched to Agere/Lucent in late 2007, if I recall correctly. This new (and cheaper) chipset is incompatible with certain firewire hardware (specifically: audio interfaces such as from RME/M-Audio).

However, I've browsed thru other audio-related forums and some users have noted their chipset (in the latest Penryn MBPs, not sure about any MBs) to still be TI instead of Agere. But other users still have the Agere and consequently, incompatible hardware. Can anyone confirm if the firewire chipset on their MB/MBP (preferably the latest models) have the TI or the Agere/Lucent?

Thanks

none-more-black

Reaction score
I don't have a Mac, so I'm not sure how to access the Device Manager. I checked the Apple support forums and these are the instructions I've found. I'm not sure if it works, though.

restart the computer holding down the command s keys.

half way down the page look for firewire

if it says TI - it is texas instruments

when done, type exit, than restart

Thanks!

RupertGee

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Ok, I've actually posted this up on a separate thread...
Apple literally invented Firewire (and even won an Academy Award for it too.)

Knowing that, if Apple picked a "cheaper" chipset, I'm pretty sure the new one meets Firewire's requirements 101%. It's almost always 3rd party hardware makers that made products that are not standard compliant. I know there's lots of hula with 10.5.2/3 breaking lots of pro audio equipments, and you probably know by now the manufacturers are scrambling to fix their products, not Apple.

My point is, if you need a Mac for its superior OS, just buy it and stop worrying about cheap chipset.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.