[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

PsYkOoOoO

Reaction score
Hey guys.
I'm running my fan speed at 5000rpm to cool down my precious.
Will it be detrimental to my fans?

There's not much point to that. Your system has been automatically tuned to increase its fan speeds when the temperature gets too high. Constantly making the fan spin at 5000rpm is really just stressing your hardware more than it should. Not to mention, if it is a laptop, your battery life is going to be run down to zero quicker than usual.

Treon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
got a qn on imac rams but i feel its more like a general hardware qn

assuming that the imac (mid 2010) already has 2x 2gb ram inside
lets say i want to upgrade, will it have any effect if i just buy another 2x 2gb (any random brand) and slot it in?
or die die must have 4x 2gb rams which are exactly the same?

last time i see ppl say that rams need to have same amount of capacity and same model/unit etc etc if not cannot achieve the maximum capabilities, or something like that

pls advise :D

EEXOOO

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
got a qn on imac rams but i feel its more like a general hardware qn

assuming that the imac (mid 2010) already has 2x 2gb ram inside
lets say i want to upgrade, will it have any effect if i just buy another 2x 2gb (any random brand) and slot it in?
or die die must have 4x 2gb rams which are exactly the same?

last time i see ppl say that rams need to have same amount of capacity and same model/unit etc etc if not cannot achieve the maximum capabilities, or something like that

pls advise :D

I have 2x2GB + 2x4GB NuRAM and it works fine.
So far so good :)

Vynn

Reaction score
My uMBP 15" late 2008 battery just bloated. It's pushing against my trackpad, which makes my clicking and 2 fingers gesture difficult.

I'm based in Bkk, and I went to iStudio in bkk and found out they are selling the original battery A1281 at 6,900baht!!! (Estimated 295SGD Yahoo currency converter)

Took a look at apple store, and they are selling at only 129USD (Estimated 3,879baht)
iStudio in bkk is chopping carrots!! :s27:

Is there another online store to recommend, that is selling cheaper..? macsales don't have.. :(

xenozeno

Reaction score
There's not much point to that. Your system has been automatically tuned to increase its fan speeds when the temperature gets too high. Constantly making the fan spin at 5000rpm is really just stressing your hardware more than it should. Not to mention, if it is a laptop, your battery life is going to be run down to zero quicker than usual.

Hmmm not really.
I was once on 60+ degrees celsius and the fans didn't kick in.
Tell me when it will start to kick in?

I only run on 5000rpm when i'm on AC.
Hmmm

PsYkOoOoO

Reaction score
Hmmm not really.
I was once on 60+ degrees celsius and the fans didn't kick in.
Tell me when it will start to kick in?

I only run on 5000rpm when i'm on AC.
Hmmm

A normal laptop can probably withstand heat up to 80+ to 90 degrees. Of course, those will be very unhealthy temperatures, but 60 degrees is certainly within an expected range. Perhaps I am just uncomfortable with tempering with the hardware of my computer.

Els_Ang

Reaction score
Can't transfer file from my MBP to External HDD & vice versa

Hi all,

I've a problem with transferring file (even copy & paste) from my External HDD to my MBP & vice versa. I dun remember having such problem before. But, when I tried to transfer some file yesterday & today. I can't seem to do so...

Anyone has any idea & solution for me?

TIA!

PsYkOoOoO

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've a problem with transferring file (even copy & paste) from my External HDD to my MBP & vice versa. I dun remember having such problem before. But, when I tried to transfer some file yesterday & today. I can't seem to do so...

Anyone has any idea & solution for me?

TIA!

Have you used this hard drive to transfer files from this Mac before?

Els_Ang

Reaction score
Have you used this hard drive to transfer files from this Mac before?

Hi,

Thanks for ur reply.

Yep. Had no issues with it before. Same HDD. No changes to settings. Juz tat I didn't transfer any file for the longest time.. and now... Suddenly cannot liao.

PsYkOoOoO

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for ur reply.

Yep. Had no issues with it before. Same HDD. No changes to settings. Juz tat I didn't transfer any file for the longest time.. and now... Suddenly cannot liao.

How big is the file you are trying to transfer? Can you read the contents of the hard drive?

Els_Ang

Reaction score
How big is the file you are trying to transfer? Can you read the contents of the hard drive?

My content is about 4.2Gb. But, I think is not the size problem as I tried copying smaller files (like a photo) oso cannot.

I can read the files inside the HDD, juz tat can't transfer in & out of it...

PsYkOoOoO

Reaction score
My content is about 4.2Gb. But, I think is not the size problem as I tried copying smaller files (like a photo) oso cannot.

I can read the files inside the HDD, juz tat can't transfer in & out of it...

Could you try on a Windows based computer?

nutz1943

Reaction score
Hey guys, recently got a macbook pro 2010 less than a month ago.

Couple of days ago during this holiday season, i encountered the no batteries available problem (it had a X sign at the battery status).
Looking at the system profiler - "power" section it states no battery installed though it is there.
The magsafe adapter light remains green and when it is unplugged, the system went down.

Google online and found that it seem to be a known problem.
1 of the solution is to reset the SMU as last resort and I go ahead with it.

The 1st time after the SMU is being reset and the system boot up, it still state that there are no batteries.
However, just a moment ago i power up again for 1 last time and the mbp starts charging (it detect the battery now).

I was in the midst of thinking to call apple support tomorrow morning.
Now I am totally lost how could this have happened; 1 time ok, another time it failed.
Will i be wasting my trip down to any apple service centre to let them inspect?

TIA

mark.yeh

Reaction score
MAIL FOR MAC

Hello,
im using the new macbook pro and im having some problem with the program mail. I have set up everything according to what i've googled which seem to be right, but the problem occured when i start sending email using mail. I get the you cannot send message using the server smtp.live.com. Yes i am using hotmail account, (xxx@live.com.sg) i was thinking if it is because of the .sg at the back which would have a different outgoing mail? any idea to solve this problem.

I have tried smtp.live.com.sg
I can recieve email perfectly fine, emails are being sync with my hotmail account.

help pleaseeee.
mark.

Crimson_FURY

Master Member
Reaction score
nutz> Suggest you take advantage of applecare to solve your issue although it might have resolved itself for now. The problem you face is not something you would want to happen again in a more inopportune time

mark> I'm not sure about this, but doesnt hotmail have some protocol issues when working with third party email apps? it might be a problem with hotmail, not with the mail app

PetPet

Reaction score
Hello,
im using the new macbook pro and im having some problem with the program mail. I have set up everything according to what i've googled which seem to be right, but the problem occured when i start sending email using mail. I get the you cannot send message using the server smtp.live.com. Yes i am using hotmail account, (xxx@live.com.sg) i was thinking if it is because of the .sg at the back which would have a different outgoing mail? any idea to solve this problem.

I have tried smtp.live.com.sg
I can recieve email perfectly fine, emails are being sync with my hotmail account.

help pleaseeee.
mark.
Follow these settings/Double check to see they are correct :

v4uxdz.png

shazzie0512

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, guys.. :)

Does anybody know if I can edit .mov files from Canon HDSLRs (like the 7D) in Final Cut Express 4?

And will the files work ok with the latest (not necessarily CS5) Adobe Premiere Pro?

Do I need some sort of conversion software for this?

Thanks! ;)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.