www.hardwarezone.com.sg


www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Apple Clinic (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/apple-clinic-5/)
-   -   [Mac 101] Ask your questions here! (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/apple-clinic-5/%5Bmac-101%5D-ask-your-questions-here-2743564.html)

leinad 04-04-2008 02:30 PM

[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!
 
As indicated in the FAQ sticky thread, feel free to ask questions which the FAQ does not adequately address.

Please help us to help you - ask your questions in a clear, concise manner. It would be good if you can enclose screenshots so that we can better see the problem, if necessary.

/Dan

Angelus_jr 04-04-2008 09:46 PM

I shall start the ball rolling. 1)How do I change the time/date format to something like this --> April 4, Fri 10:00pm? There is only the day and time included. 2) How do I take screenshot in mac? like print screen in windows

petmonster 04-04-2008 10:00 PM

qn 1) preferences -> international, under the formats tab, customize.

2) apple+shift+4

RupertGee 04-04-2008 10:10 PM

1) Launch System Preferences and type "Date Formats" in the search field. You can do likewise in future for other preference settings you want to change.
2) For Finder related issues, go to Finder and type your question (in this case "Screen Capture") in the help menu's search box for your instant answer. You'll learn how to capture just a small selection of your screen.

I just taught you how to fish instead of giving you a fish to eat.

petmonster 04-04-2008 10:12 PM

okok sorry i overfed him..

Angelus_jr 04-04-2008 10:17 PM

when i click the time on the top right hand corner, it will list down the date i wanted but its in grey colour. i cant select it. it will appear as fri,10:00pm. another question wat application i can use to erase my opera's web history?

RupertGee 04-04-2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petmonster (Post 29227278)
okok sorry i overfed him..

No lah. Sometime charity work is nice too mah. :s22:

RupertGee 04-04-2008 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelus_jr (Post 29227418)
when i click the time on the top right hand corner, it will list down the date i wanted but its in grey colour. i cant select it. it will appear as fri,10:00pm. another question wat application i can use to erase my opera's web history?

Now I introduce you to your new best friend:

http://www.google.com.sg/search?q=er...ient=firefox-a

Paul_Yeo 04-04-2008 10:51 PM

when will iPhone come to Singapore?

petmonster 04-04-2008 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelus_jr (Post 29227418)
when i click the time on the top right hand corner, it will list down the date i wanted but its in grey colour. i cant select it. it will appear as fri,10:00pm. another question wat application i can use to erase my opera's web history?

think about it. when you click on the time on the top right hand corner, what can you click on?

1. analog.
2. digital.
3 open date and time.

the obvious choice would be to open date and time. then when you are at a lost in that screen, you notice at the bottom, it says:

to set date and time formats, use international preferences, with a button for you to open international.

after you open international, the first screen does nothing, no option to click, nothing. so try the next tab, formats.

there you see different versions of dates, and the one you want, is the second option, so click on customize, and play with the dropdown.

mac is simple thinking.

when i first ported over, i also was frustrated how come i lost control of so many things. but i just found out they were finally sorted. in the right places.

RupertGee 04-04-2008 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo (Post 29228342)
when will iPhone come to Singapore?

You know no one except steve et al can give you the answer so why ask here?

:s22:

Skyline34_ 04-04-2008 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo (Post 29228342)
when will iPhone come to Singapore?

It's slated for release in the 2nd half of the year. The telco would be Singtel.

I might be wrong though so don't take my words for sure.

Carbon Fiber 04-04-2008 11:08 PM

Hi,
I would like to suggest 2 topics that might have great interest.

1) I've decided I want to buy a Mac, now what?
2) I've bought a Mac, now what?

Cheers!:D

Angelus_jr 04-04-2008 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petmonster (Post 29228345)
think about it. when you click on the time on the top right hand corner, what can you click on?

1. analog.
2. digital.
3 open date and time.

the obvious choice would be to open date and time. then when you are at a lost in that screen, you notice at the bottom, it says:

to set date and time formats, use international preferences, with a button for you to open international.

after you open international, the first screen does nothing, no option to click, nothing. so try the next tab, formats.

there you see different versions of dates, and the one you want, is the second option, so click on customize, and play with the dropdown.

mac is simple thinking.

when i first ported over, i also was frustrated how come i lost control of so many things. but i just found out they were finally sorted. in the right places.


perhaps i didnt explain well, i had already done all the steps before your mentioned quote. what i am trying to figure is how to have the date besides the digital time. the default is Fri 10:00pm. I am trying to change it to April 4, Fri, 10pm. cos in windows i am used to see the date+day+time as in a diigtal watch.

anfielder 04-04-2008 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelus_jr (Post 29228977)
perhaps i didnt explain well, i had already done all the steps before your mentioned quote. what i am trying to figure is how to have the date besides the digital time. the default is Fri 10:00pm. I am trying to change it to April 4, Fri, 10pm. cos in windows i am used to see the date+day+time as in a diigtal watch.

maybe this will help?

http://lifehacker.com/software/mac-t...bar-316029.php

boreboor 05-04-2008 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anfielder (Post 29229801)

cool tip there!

JackBauerBack 05-04-2008 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anfielder (Post 29229801)

Wow.. This is good..:s12:

Cyborg_T1 05-04-2008 01:32 AM

1) How to add 'new tab' button in Safari?
2) How to configure mouse button to go back in web browser?
3) How to view PDF file in webpage using FireFox?
4) How to change icons?
5) How to make quicktime play XVID videos?
6) How to use spotlight as a calculator
7) What's Ctrl+alt+del in mac osx?
8) How to print screen in mac?

enough? :p

Angelus_jr 05-04-2008 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anfielder (Post 29229801)

thanks! thats exactly what i need! :s12::D

anfielder 05-04-2008 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelus_jr (Post 29232760)
thanks! thats exactly what i need! :s12::D

i got that through google by the way... hahah

kevpaang 05-04-2008 10:19 AM

Hi all,
I'm a new user of MB for a couple of wks now n i got a serious qn to ask;
Recently i D/L 'FileGuard-X5' to lock up my working docs but when the trial ended, i uninstalled it using 'AppDelete'. After deleting it etc, i was shocked to see when i right-click mouse -> more, the freaking 'FileGuard' is still there!
I opened it n the app still can respond like normal but strangely, the app cant be found inside my app folder where i D/L n installed it. I search my HD for it but no results.
Anyway, whenever i open it, it will always create a icon/file inside my docs folder.
Can any old bird guide me on how to remove it completely? What did i done to my beloved MB?

Thks!!

leinad 05-04-2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevpaang (Post 29234796)
Hi all,
I'm a new user of MB for a couple of wks now n i got a serious qn to ask;
Recently i D/L 'FileGuard-X5' to lock up my working docs but when the trial ended, i uninstalled it using 'AppDelete'. After deleting it etc, i was shocked to see when i right-click mouse -> more, the freaking 'FileGuard' is still there!
I opened it n the app still can respond like normal but strangely, the app cant be found inside my app folder where i D/L n installed it. I search my HD for it but no results.
Anyway, whenever i open it, it will always create a icon/file inside my docs folder.
Can any old bird guide me on how to remove it completely? What did i done to my beloved MB?

Thks!!

Hello there... Think the Contextual Menu Item was still left when you removed the app...

Look in the folder "Contextual Menu Items" under the "Library" folder in your home folder. It should be there.. If not, try the "CMI" folder under "Library" in the root folder /.

HTH.
/Dan

kevpaang 05-04-2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leinad (Post 29234865)
Hello there... Think the Contextual Menu Item was still left when you removed the app...

Look in the folder "Contextual Menu Items" under the "Library" folder in your home folder. It should be there.. If not, try the "CMI" folder under "Library" in the root folder /.

HTH.
/Dan

Hi Dan,
Thank you very much for your super fast reply! *Cool!!*
So basically i just drag the file to the trash bin n it remove the 'FileGuard' thingy when i right click my mouse?
Errmm...on more nood qn....how i know which files will be related to the 'FileGuard'? I still dun know my mac well enough...will i accidently del some vital stuffs in the 'CMI' folder? What should i look out for?

Thks!!!

oyebto 05-04-2008 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anfielder (Post 29229801)

super duper useful. thnz a lot. =)

leinad 05-04-2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevpaang (Post 29234942)
Hi Dan,
Thank you very much for your super fast reply! *Cool!!*
So basically i just drag the file to the trash bin n it remove the 'FileGuard' thingy when i right click my mouse?
Errmm...on more nood qn....how i know which files will be related to the 'FileGuard'? I still dun know my mac well enough...will i accidently del some vital stuffs in the 'CMI' folder? What should i look out for?

Thks!!!

Well, it's usually not a good idea to go around deleting unknown files - things might break. As for that one file you're sure of, please trash it. You may need to enter an admin password if it was in the root Library folder... Oh, and you might need to reboot to use.

You could try Preferences under library, with the general format com.companyname.application.. Those are related, but they are so small they shouldn't pose much of a problem.

Apps like AppDelete and AppZapper try to remove all these pref files for you.. They aren't strong when it comes to files put in other places - that's not really "normal" behaviour for most apps...

/Dan

kevpaang 05-04-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leinad (Post 29235063)
Well, it's usually not a good idea to go around deleting unknown files - things might break. As for that one file you're sure of, please trash it. You may need to enter an admin password if it was in the root Library folder... Oh, and you might need to reboot to use.

You could try Preferences under library, with the general format com.companyname.application.. Those are related, but they are so small they shouldn't pose much of a problem.

Apps like AppDelete and AppZapper try to remove all these pref files for you.. They aren't strong when it comes to files put in other places - that's not really "normal" behaviour for most apps...

/Dan

Hi Dan,
Got it all fixed up...many thks to u & thks to u i learnt something new today. :)

leinad 05-04-2008 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevpaang (Post 29236296)
Hi Dan,
Got it all fixed up...many thks to u & thks to u i learnt something new today. :)

Oh no worries... Could I invite you to look through our FAQ and give suggestions as to what other questions/guides would be beneficial to you as a new user? I've been using OS X for so long, I've forgotten how it's like to be new. :o

Pai seh ah, but I hope you can understand how it's like.. We sometimes take for granted the smallest things.

/Dan

leinad 05-04-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyborg_T1 (Post 29232012)
1) How to add 'new tab' button in Safari?
2) How to configure mouse button to go back in web browser?
3) How to view PDF file in webpage using FireFox?
4) How to change icons?
5) How to make quicktime play XVID videos?
6) How to use spotlight as a calculator
7) What's Ctrl+alt+del in mac osx?
8) How to print screen in mac?

enough? :p

I think this is a decent list.. :) I believe Nitrile has just put up a nice page on print screen, the rest will benefit from graphical help, so it might take a bit of time...

Spotlight as a calculator isn't really necessary, no? But no harm. Let's just put it in later to expand the list of questions.

/Dan

kevpaang 05-04-2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leinad (Post 29236342)
Oh no worries... Could I invite you to look through our FAQ and give suggestions as to what other questions/guides would be beneficial to you as a new user? I've been using OS X for so long, I've forgotten how it's like to be new. :o

Pai seh ah, but I hope you can understand how it's like.. We sometimes take for granted the smallest things.

/Dan

Sure sure...i actually got it all printed out n treat it as my 'Mac for Dummy'.:D
Anyway, can u recommend me a freeware app that can lock up my personal file?
I d/l n tried many but all too chim cos must do partition volume etc. I just need something good n simple like 'FileGuard' which is just a right click away to password secured my one folder but sadly must pay....*haiz*.
I know there is a 'File Vault' in our mac but think it will lock up all my folders (unless there is more than meet the eye), it's kinda troublesome cos i just want to secure my work related docs only.

Thks!

leinad 05-04-2008 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevpaang (Post 29236852)
Sure sure...i actually got it all printed out n treat it as my 'Mac for Dummy'.:D
Anyway, can u recommend me a freeware app that can lock up my personal file?
I d/l n tried many but all too chim cos must do partition volume etc. I just need something good n simple like 'FileGuard' which is just a right click away to password secured my one folder but sadly must pay....*haiz*.
I know there is a 'File Vault' in our mac but think it will lock up all my folders (unless there is more than meet the eye), it's kinda troublesome cos i just want to secure my work related docs only.

Thks!

This I don't have any idea to, since I have no need to secure an individual folder...

IMO, the use of filevault is more for the entire HDD.. Suppose you lose your mac, and someone wants the data on your HDD.. the normal way would be to log in right? But since they do not have your password, the next best way would be to extract the physical HDD and plug it to another Mac to retrieve the contents.. Filevault protects your entire home folder so that other mac cannot view the contents.

I think some of the other users could advice on this single-folder utility.. This is a bit out of my league, sorry. :(

PS: I'm sure there should be freeware around that does this, given how popular it would be in the Unix world... Guess we could search?

/Dan

stuckira 05-04-2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leinad (Post 29237022)
I think some of the other users could advice on this single-folder utility..

Why not use encrypted disk images, created with Disk Utility? Don't save the password in the Keychain (and please use a different password from your account).

shiahzy 06-04-2008 12:53 AM

I try installing bootcamp on windows a few days back but decided to remove the partition because i see no use in windows on my mac. however, i realised that i may have lost some disk space - maybe a few hundred mb - in the process of partitioning.

is there anyway to reclaim the apparent lose in disk space?

leinad 06-04-2008 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuckira (Post 29245393)
Why not use encrypted disk images, created with Disk Utility? Don't save the password in the Keychain (and please use a different password from your account).

Oh right.. This is a wonderful idea... :) I forgot all about that option, cos I don't usually have anything to hide. :o

/Dan

gign 06-04-2008 03:46 AM

is it possible to set where iphoto stores its images?

aloysius_xavier 06-04-2008 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gign (Post 29252429)
is it possible to set where iphoto stores its images?

Yes, you may.

http://appleclinic.wordpress.com/200...lt-dir-iphoto/

shiahzy 07-04-2008 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiahzy (Post 29250611)
I try installing bootcamp on windows a few days back but decided to remove the partition because i see no use in windows on my mac. however, i realised that i may have lost some disk space - maybe a few hundred mb - in the process of partitioning.

is there anyway to reclaim the apparent lose in disk space?

Anybody wants to help me with this?

TIA.

kevpaang 07-04-2008 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuckira (Post 29245393)
Why not use encrypted disk images, created with Disk Utility? Don't save the password in the Keychain (and please use a different password from your account).

Errmm...sound technical...can u give me a rough guide on how to do it? I googled it but too many results until i blur.
Anyway, i saw Keychain in my mac but whats the purpose of it?I havent go n explore it out.

Thanks!

leinad 07-04-2008 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiahzy (Post 29271108)
Anybody wants to help me with this?

TIA.

Unfortunately, this would be out of my league.. I don't really need windows to the extent of having to Boot Camp... I do know you need to run Boot Camp again to repartition/reclaim the used space once you've decided to do away with windows.

/Dan

leinad 07-04-2008 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevpaang (Post 29276832)
Errmm...sound technical...can u give me a rough guide on how to do it? I googled it but too many results until i blur.
Anyway, i saw Keychain in my mac but whats the purpose of it?I havent go n explore it out.

Thanks!

Keychain is the built in centralised password storage/tracking application... Keychain-compatible apps (Safari, Finder, some other 3rd party ones) swill store their passwords in there. You can configure it as appropriate, even to prompt you to enter your login password everytime it wants to autofill keychain information, if necessary.

As for the disk image, fire up Disk Utility, click on "New Image", give it a name, a size (the maximum size you expect the folder to be + a bit more space as needed), then the encryption method.

/Dan

siegeholler 07-04-2008 11:53 AM

hi i have a qn, just now i changed some display settings for a presentation, now i can't change back to the original settings! the options for 1920 is not there. max is only 1280. im using a macbook. any help?

kevpaang 07-04-2008 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leinad (Post 29276907)
Keychain is the built in centralised password storage/tracking application... Keychain-compatible apps (Safari, Finder, some other 3rd party ones) swill store their passwords in there. You can configure it as appropriate, even to prompt you to enter your login password everytime it wants to autofill keychain information, if necessary.

As for the disk image, fire up Disk Utility, click on "New Image", give it a name, a size (the maximum size you expect the folder to be + a bit more space as needed), then the encryption method.

/Dan

Thks for the explanation again Dan.
I think the disk image should be what i need since its only 1 folder but for the encryption...will it be difficult to config? I havent fully understand the feature of my mac yet....so far i just use the basic word processing etc.

leinad 07-04-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevpaang (Post 29277223)
Thks for the explanation again Dan.
I think the disk image should be what i need since its only 1 folder but for the encryption...will it be difficult to config? I havent fully understand the feature of my mac yet....so far i just use the basic word processing etc.

I quickly tried to set one up, and I must say it's extremely easy... :) Perhaps you could try and play around with it? It shouldn't change anything for you.

Just set it to not remember the password in your keychain, and each time you open the DMG, you'll be prompted for your password.

No worries, we were all beginners at some point or other, and for some who are longtime PC users, the mindset shift is quite disconcerting - it's sometimes hard to believe that tasks like installing and uninstalling are so easy... Took me a couple of moments to get it, but now, I cannot stand .exe installers. :(

I'm quite sure that with some exploring, you'll start to find other uses to improve your productivity.

/Dan

leinad 07-04-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siegeholler (Post 29277150)
hi i have a qn, just now i changed some display settings for a presentation, now i can't change back to the original settings! the options for 1920 is not there. max is only 1280. im using a macbook. any help?

Unplug the display and reboot the macbook.. PLug it in after reboot and see how things go...

I think the recent 10.5.2 update had some display issues, which I'm hoping would be fixed in 10.5.3 (the developer seeds of which were rushed out for testing just within the last week)

OS X 10.4 started working really well for me only around 10.4.6 or so... I expect there to be some bugs, as that's in the nature of software engineering.

/Dan

siegeholler 07-04-2008 03:08 PM

alright thks for the help!:)

qt 07-04-2008 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siegeholler (Post 29277150)
hi i have a qn, just now i changed some display settings for a presentation, now i can't change back to the original settings! the options for 1920 is not there. max is only 1280. im using a macbook. any help?

You can try clicking on 'Detect Displays' in 'System Preferences' > 'Displays'. OS X will then reattempt to detect all your displays.

silverish 07-04-2008 05:01 PM

how to "show the desktop" or minimize all windows?

stuckira 07-04-2008 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverish (Post 29282492)
how to "show the desktop" or minimize all windows?

Exposť Desktop (default activation is F11).

sean-eka 07-04-2008 10:59 PM

Hey.
i'm a new mac user here
i just got my macbook not even a month ago. so yeah.
the 1st macbook i had, had hinges problem after about 5 days of use. so i brought it to epicenter to check it out. they told me they could do nothing, but replace a new one for me.

then 2 days after, they came to my place to collect the macbook.
after another few days a macbook came (which is almost 2 weeks ago), now, with the new macbook, the hinges problem came back again.
is there any way i could solve this problem without having to direct it to apple?

from what epicenter told me, the hinges (hardware) isn't covered by the warranty..
so yeah.

regards
sean

leinad 07-04-2008 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean-eka (Post 29289265)
Hey.
i'm a new mac user here
i just got my macbook not even a month ago. so yeah.
the 1st macbook i had, had hinges problem after about 5 days of use. so i brought it to epicenter to check it out. they told me they could do nothing, but replace a new one for me.

then 2 days after, they came to my place to collect the macbook.
after another few days a macbook came (which is almost 2 weeks ago), now, with the new macbook, the hinges problem came back again.
is there any way i could solve this problem without having to direct it to apple?

from what epicenter told me, the hinges (hardware) isn't covered by the warranty..
so yeah.

regards
sean

Hmm.. Mind expanding on the problem a bit to give us an idea of what it is about? Perhaps pictures if you would be so kind.

If the hinge problem prohibits you from using the laptop reasonably, then it should obviously be covered by APP.

/Dan

sean-eka 07-04-2008 11:21 PM

Hey.
Erm, it does not prohibits me to use the macbook. however, it produce this creaking sound whenever i try to open or close my macbook, although it sounds pretty soft, but i'm pretty annoyed by the fact that after macbook has been exchanged, the same thing happens again.

it's pretty annoying too to hear your macbook creating a creaking sound everytime you try to open/move the screen.

-edit-
no photos as i do not even see a crack or whatsoever on the macbook cover. it just 'comes from within'.


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © SPH Magazines Pte Ltd. All rights reserved.