HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Apple Event — 11 Nov, 2AM SGT.  Silicon Macs Expected to Debut

Like Tree147Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2020, 09:38 AM   #766
Supremacy Member

as u mentioned, do u need sustained performance? if not then mba is good enough, even for 4k60 video editing. understand from utubers that the touchbar is not useful. but i did a price compare before, if upgrade the ram to 16gb, the difference between both is like $50 only, if so then mbp seems a better deal.

for me, it is better to get the higher specs if one intends to keep it for many years until it breaks down. newer OS and apps tend to get heavier and more resource-intensive.
ru not gonna to get applecare plus?
Old 11-12-2020, 09:42 AM   #767
High Supremacy Member

as u mentioned, do u need sustained performance? if not then mba is good enough, even for 4k60 video editing. understand from utubers that the touchbar is not useful. but i did a price compare before, if upgrade the ram to 16gb, the difference between both is like $50 only, if so then mbp seems a better deal.
for me, it is better to get the higher specs if one intends to keep it for many years until it breaks down. newer OS and apps tend to get heavier and more resource-intensive.
Thanks bro. So far i compared MBA with MBP, 16gb and 512gb storage, 400 difference though. Hence i am considering if it worth the extra premium

Yea i watched some reviews and some say they prefer having hardware buttons instead of the touchbar. For myself i think not much of a difference, but the 400 dollars can be used to top up for apple care

Also to mention MBA does not have any mechanical part, means no chance of having fan failure
Posted from PCWX using Oneplus 8T Lunar Silver

Last edited by KeYoKe; 11-12-2020 at 09:49 AM..
KeYoKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:47 AM   #768

Lots of things changed. While it may be true that future proofing does makes the cut for 16 GB, but the M1 architecture is different from Intel, where the performance is much higher. 16GB does make a difference for 4k or 8k video processing I guess. End of the day it ends up on your individual needs or buy a 8gb one and u have until Jan 21 to decide.

https://medium.com/macoclock/who-rea...c-f9f76c087577

In any case, maybe I will change to M3 in maybe 2 or 3 years. Hopefully the mini can last until then.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:51 AM   #769
Arch-Supremacy Member

ru not gonna to get applecare plus?
i'm gonna return the M1. i found my 2018 mini with external egpu to be performing as well, if not better, than the M1.
twosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:54 AM   #770
Arch-Supremacy Member

M1 is still too new to truly understand if 8gb or 16gb is enough. so enjoy it now.
twosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:54 AM   #771
Honorary Member

Is it worth to upgrade to 16gb ram? My usage is only browsing net, entertainment and document processing. Plan to use for few years...

And if i should get MBA or MBP

Even my 8 years old laptop with 4gb ram running on Linux mint can do those. Just that play yt videos on higher definition cannot liao.

Buy the base spec first since now apple got holiday return period n test out.

For me i bought the base mba and finds it more than sufficient liao with the passive cooling

Posted from PCWX using Rem mm is best waifu
KeYoKe likes this.
Illusionist_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:31 PM   #772
Supremacy Member

Thanks bro. So far i compared MBA with MBP, 16gb and 512gb storage, 400 difference though. Hence i am considering if it worth the extra premium

Yea i watched some reviews and some say they prefer having hardware buttons instead of the touchbar. For myself i think not much of a difference, but the 400 dollars can be used to top up for apple care

Also to mention MBA does not have any mechanical part, means no chance of having fan failure
Just go for MBA, the touchbar on MBP is useless. Only if you need sustained performance then go for the MBP cause of fan. If basic use then MBA!
bunnypangsai likes this.
kashix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:33 PM   #773
Supremacy Member

RAM monitoring I'm using memory diag, shows amount of free RAM and the ability to free RAM on the spot if needed.

Temp monitoring I was using smcfancontrol but seems like it's not working on the new M1 MBP.
Not so sure if you are referring to the following free app but it seems to work, only that the display is not that nice yet.
https://crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

If non free then iStatistisca with the IStatistica Sensor Plug-in; or TG Pro app.

Last edited by xiaofan; 11-12-2020 at 04:22 PM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:54 PM   #774

MBA shipping 3 weeks
Cosmonautica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:21 PM   #775
Master Member

MBA shipping 3 weeks
it will ship much shorter
Stoway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:35 PM   #776
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks both! 16gb it is... I agree with both of your pov. Now not upgradable anymore. Must as well get the higher ram...

How about MBP vs MBA? I see the difference is only 1 got touch bar and fan (which means better sustained performance)

I've never used a MBA before but it's really very slim! Touch Bar wise, it's the first time I'm using Touch Bar and yes though it looks fancy and able to customise it, I mainly just used it for adjusting screen brightness and volume as now there are no top row function keys as I had on my 2015 MBP. So even without the Touch Bar, it's still fine. Remember that physical keys are still more tactile that virtual ones on a screen.

I chose MBP as I frequently use Lightroom for my photo editing and it does consume quite a lot of RAM as well. On paper, the M1 MBP lasts a little longer than MBA despite having an internal fan and the Touch Bar.

If you're using for a few years or until it starts to break down, I suggest the MBP. For me now coming from a 15", I've to get used to the 13" size, but it's much lighter. Overall it's a big upgrade in my case.
KeYoKe likes this.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:42 PM   #777
Arch-Supremacy Member

16GB RAM and 512GB SSD is my choice as 256GB is a bit 'dangerous' unless you really store most things on external memory. Remember to always have some extra buffer instead of 'just nice'.

Don't worry about the internal fans as failure rate is almost none. My 2015 MBP has its fans blasting over 5.5 years of usage and still good, so not to worry.
KeYoKe likes this.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:58 PM   #778

Apple should give lower priced option for MBP without touchbar.

Heard many people dislike it even after 4 years.
discoburg likes this.
Cosmonautica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:29 PM   #779
Supremacy Member

Just wondering what will be the recommended backup device for your M1 Mac.

Previously I used a FireWire 800 based (also with USB 2.0) WD 1TB external drive as the main backup device for my Mac Mini 2011, using Time Machine. Then I also use FreeFileAync to backup essential documents to my USB drive and a personal NAS (old WD MyCloud 3TB).

I intend to do the same and get a 4TB external drive as the main backup using Time Machine, then use FreeFileSync for documents backup. The personal NAS is under used.

Any other suggestions? I have not made up my mind to get a better NAS yet.

Edit to add: I do not put photos/videos on the Mac Mini. They are generated by the mobile phones (iPhone and Android) and I use Google Photos and USB HDDs for backup. I will have to pay for Google One after June 2021 (no more free unlimited Google Photos).

Edit to add: create a new thread to talk about this. So please do not reply here. Thanks.

Last edited by xiaofan; 11-12-2020 at 10:43 PM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:56 PM   #780
High Supremacy Member

I've never used a MBA before but it's really very slim! Touch Bar wise, it's the first time I'm using Touch Bar and yes though it looks fancy and able to customise it, I mainly just used it for adjusting screen brightness and volume as now there are no top row function keys as I had on my 2015 MBP. So even without the Touch Bar, it's still fine. Remember that physical keys are still more tactile that virtual ones on a screen.

I chose MBP as I frequently use Lightroom for my photo editing and it does consume quite a lot of RAM as well. On paper, the M1 MBP lasts a little longer than MBA despite having an internal fan and the Touch Bar.

If you're using for a few years or until it starts to break down, I suggest the MBP. For me now coming from a 15", I've to get used to the 13" size, but it's much lighter. Overall it's a big upgrade in my case.
16GB RAM and 512GB SSD is my choice as 256GB is a bit 'dangerous' unless you really store most things on external memory. Remember to always have some extra buffer instead of 'just nice'.

Don't worry about the internal fans as failure rate is almost none. My 2015 MBP has its fans blasting over 5.5 years of usage and still good, so not to worry.
Thanks for sharing the input bro! Will consider properly! Ya i also admit it looks fancy

KeYoKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.