Apple TV 4

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dedicated device still best over smart TV ususly. Low specs hardware

I think the following strategy is good.

Use the Smart TV only with the built in apps like Youtube, Netflix or the built-in media player to get features like Dolby Vision or Dolby Atmos or overall better Audio Video experiences. Load well behaved apps from the official app store only. Do not side load 3rd party apps.

Use the dedicated box like Apple TV, Nvidia Shield TV or Mi Box S or Amazon FireTV Stick 4k, for other apps. This is especially true for Android TV OS based smart TV with regards to 3rd party apps with unknown quality. You do not want to slow down or hang your high end Sony Android TV with unknown Android VOD or IPTV apps. You also do not want to carry out factory reset if things go wrong.

Only exception may be the cheap Xiaomi TV, especially the global version with 4K Netflix and Prime Video support. Most likely you do not need extra box there, unless you are more into gaming, then buy Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019.

Last edited:

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score
I think the following strategy is good.

Use the Smart TV only with the built in apps like Youtube, Netflix or the built-in media player to get features like Dolby Vision or Dolby Atmos or overall better Audio Video experiences. Load well behaved apps from the official app store only. Do not side load 3rd party apps.

Use the dedicated box like Apple TV, Nvidia Shield TV or Mi Box S or Amazon FireTV Stick 4k, for other apps. This is especially true for Android TV OS based smart TV with regards to 3rd party apps with unknown quality. You do not want to slow down or hang your high end Sony Android TV with unknown Android VOD or IPTV apps. You also do not want to carry out factory reset if things go wrong.

Only exception may be the cheap Xiaomi TV, especially the global version with 4K Netflix and Prime Video support. Most likely you do not need extra box there, unless you are more into gaming, then buy Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019.

yes, youtube etc. is best to use the built-in app as it will be seamless. no need to use apple tv. although one can still use the phone while casting video to tv on youtube via apple tv, but there is queing features like built-in youtube app in tv offers.

if one needs to mirror content from iphone to TV, then apple tv is good.

i do have the 3rd gen apple tv to cast video to tv on a old 32-inch full hd tv. but sometimes, the connection is not so stable.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes, youtube etc. is best to use the built-in app as it will be seamless. no need to use apple tv. although one can still use the phone while casting video to tv on youtube via apple tv, but there is queing features like built-in youtube app in tv offers.

if one needs to mirror content from iphone to TV, then apple tv is good.

i do have the 3rd gen apple tv to cast video to tv on a old 32-inch full hd tv. but sometimes, the connection is not so stable.

Same here I have the old 3rd gen Apple TV, it is pretty okay for me as an Airplay receiver. But I seldom use it after my Mac Mini 2011 died in 2018. I use Singtel TV more often, and I have the 1st gen Chromecast dongle as well. All three are connected to a cheap 1080p dumb TV. I got the Xbox One S last Dec so I have to disconnect my Apple TV from the TV.

Then I have Mi Box S and a few Android TV boxes connected to a 24inch 1080p Dell monitor.

Last edited:

Nashstruck

Reaction score
Hey bro sorry super late on the reply. Thx for the trip. I tried what u said
- Deregistered my AFTV4K
- Created brand new Amazon account with US address (using a US VPN also) with local CC
- But when I try to log in using my local SG Apple ID, it knows I'm in SG and says that Apple TV not available in my region

Qn:
Did you use a local or US Apple ID? - I tried to create a US apple ID but it was near impossible because of region restrictions again, and it would also be pointless because I would need to purchase Apple TV on that ID separately.

Many TIA for the help bro.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey bro sorry super late on the reply. Thx for the trip. I tried what u said
- Deregistered my AFTV4K
- Created brand new Amazon account with US address (using a US VPN also) with local CC
- But when I try to log in using my local SG Apple ID, it knows I'm in SG and says that Apple TV not available in my region

Qn:
Did you use a local or US Apple ID? - I tried to create a US apple ID but it was near impossible because of region restrictions again, and it would also be pointless because I would need to purchase Apple TV on that ID separately.

Many TIA for the help bro.

Try this, after registering the US Amazon account, disconnect the US VPN. Run a Singapore VPN, then log in using your Singapore Apple ID to see if it works with Apple TV+ or not.

I have one year free subscription of Apple TV+ (because the purchase of an iPad 2019) and Amazon Prime Video SG edition (because of Singtel promotion) but I seldom use them.

Nashstruck

Reaction score
Try this, after registering the US Amazon account, disconnect the US VPN. Run a Singapore VPN, then log in using your Singapore Apple ID to see if it works with Apple TV+ or not.

I have one year free subscription of Apple TV+ (because the purchase of an iPad 2019) and Amazon Prime Video SG edition (because of Singtel promotion) but I seldom use them.

Hey bro, what do you mean by a Singapore VPN? I logged out from the US VPN and tried to log in with US Amazon account , and I can log in successfully. But when I typed it my Singapore Apple ID, it says that it’s not supported in my region.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey bro, what do you mean by a Singapore VPN? I logged out from the US VPN and tried to log in with US Amazon account , and I can log in successfully. But when I typed it my Singapore Apple ID, it says that it’s not supported in my region.

I mean a VPN server in Singapore. Normal VPN vendors will have SG servers.

I am only guessing. This Amazon device is only meant for US. It does not even work with SG Amazon Prime Video as per what was reported in the forum, because the app in locked to US region. P

So I just suggest you to try out a SG VPN for Apple TV to see if it works or not, with the hope that it will cheat Apple TV+ app to believe it is now for Singapore region. May or may not work. Just try it.

I bet it will work with a US Apple account. So the alternative solution is to register a US Apple account.

I tend to believe Apple TV box should not be region locked.

The Amazon FireTV Stick 4k is region locked, at least for Prime Video, and probably also for Apple TV+. It is good for Netflix though, as Netflix does not care for the account, only care for the location.

All in all, if you still can not get it to work, it is the fault of Amazon stick.

In that case, use a device which officially supporting Apple TV+ devices in Singapore. For example, an iPad, or use a PC browser.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.