HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

iCloud or Microsoft One Drive

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2020, 11:10 AM   #16
Arch-Supremacy Member

That should be good enough if you do not take lots of photos/videos.

For my household we need the 2TB tier as the photos have exceeded 350GB already across the 3 iPhones under active use and it is growing (two 256GB iPhones and one 128GB iPhone, then two 32GB iPads). I do not mind paying S$1.28 for 50GB or even S$3.98 for 200GB. But S$12.98 is a bit steep. And then Google Photos app is really not bad.

Apple only offer 5GB free tier, 50GB/200GB/2TB paid tier.

Singapore (SGD)
50GB: S$ 1.28
200GB: S$ 3.98
2TB: S$ 12.98
personal opinion, I stay away from google. I prefer not to have my data with a data mining coy esp personal photos.
szeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:39 AM   #17
Supremacy Member

personal opinion, I stay away from google. I prefer not to have my data with a data mining coy esp personal photos.
Yes I see that people may get worried about Google (and Facebook and Microsoft).

On the other hand, we got too many things with Google, so in a sense no problem for them to know more.

But I agree Apple may have better track record in terms of privacy. But then we have Android devices as well and Apple services are not that easy to use under Android.

I like to be OS neutral whenever possible and Google apps are better in this aspect.

Last edited by xiaofan; 01-08-2020 at 12:01 PM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:45 PM   #18

Ditto. FB & google are infamous for this.
Singrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:50 PM   #19

Yes I see that people may get worried about Google (and Facebook and Microsoft).

On the other hand, we got too many things with Google, so in a sense no problem for them to know more.

But I agree Apple may have better track record in terms of privacy. But then we have Android devices as well and Apple services are not that easy to use under Android.

I like to be OS neutral whenever possible and Google apps are better in this aspect.
What i like about One Drive is its vault for super important docs. So u need to login with password & Authenticator app to access one drive. And then again log in to access vault.

Some might argue its futile since if u have the password u can login twice for One Drive and vault but I guess that’s where the Authenticator app comes im useful. But if somehow even the Authenticator gets compromised then GG lah.
Singrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:49 PM   #20
Supremacy Member

What i like about One Drive is its vault for super important docs. So u need to login with password & Authenticator app to access one drive. And then again log in to access vault.

Some might argue its futile since if u have the password u can login twice for One Drive and vault but I guess that’s where the Authenticator app comes im useful. But if somehow even the Authenticator gets compromised then GG lah.
OneDrive works well for everything except photos. That is the main issue I have with OneDrive.

I use OneDrive and Authenticator apps for work and they work very well.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:31 PM   #21

Can share what is the issue that you face with photos on onedrive?

OneDrive works well for everything except photos. That is the main issue I have with OneDrive.

I use OneDrive and Authenticator apps for work and they work very well.
undergrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:04 AM   #22

One drive for me. Works well for my android phone and Macbook.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:46 AM   #23
Supremacy Member

Can share what is the issue that you face with photos on onedrive?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-45e2f270afc9

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/google...edrive-backup/

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/b...forms-and-apps

If you use iCloud and Google Photos more often, then you will feel.OneDrive feature limited when it comes to photos. For example, lack of face recognition, lack of simple editing feature, etc.

And most importantly, Google Photos is free with limitations of 16M pixels.

And if you only use Apple, then iCloud is the best.

But I agree OneDrive 1TB with Office 365 is the best value, and it is serviceable as a photo backup tool.

I am still using the old Office 2010 at home which still works under Windows 10 (but soon to be EOL this year, 13 October 2020). Still I do not see the need to use Office 365 at home yet since the laptop is more for home based learning for kids and they are mostly using online apps. My daughter is actually using Chromebook and iPad in school.

Last edited by xiaofan; 03-08-2020 at 07:29 AM..
Old 03-08-2020, 06:58 AM   #24
Arch-Supremacy Member

That should be good enough if you do not take lots of photos/videos.

For my household we need the 2TB tier as the photos have exceeded 350GB already across the 3 iPhones under active use and it is growing (two 256GB iPhones and one 128GB iPhone, then two 32GB iPads). I do not mind paying S$1.28 for 50GB or even S$3.98 for 200GB. But S$12.98 is a bit steep. And then Google Photos app is really not bad.

Apple only offer 5GB free tier, 50GB/200GB/2TB paid tier.

Singapore (SGD)
50GB: S$ 1.28
200GB: S$ 3.98
2TB: S$ 12.98
you can start using google photos to auto backup the photos you took.

then migrate your old photos slowly to google photos creating new albums for different events. even if you mass upload without any categorization, it will still sort by date, so roughly know when the event is and create album after you upload everything
Old 03-08-2020, 07:00 AM   #25
Supremacy Member

you can start using google photos to auto backup the photos you took.

then migrate your old photos slowly to google photos creating new albums for different events. even if you mass upload without any categorization, it will still sort by date, so roughly know when the event is and create album after you upload everything
That is what I have been doing for years, not really creating events album though. Now it has my photos since Sept 2013 when I started to take more photos on the phone (from Galaxy S3 LTE phone).

Last edited by xiaofan; 03-08-2020 at 07:05 AM..
Old 03-08-2020, 07:35 AM   #26
Supremacy Member

One of the major concerns about Google Photos is whether it will be discontinued since it is free.

I was trying to use Flickr as an alternative when it offered 1TB free storage but the free service soon got discontinued after I signed up.

NAS is another backup, but my WD personal NAS is pretty bad in terms of photo backup. It is said Synology DS Photo app is not bad but then Synology is not cheap.

Anyway, so far it does not seem that Google will discontinue Google Photos any time soon.

DS Photo app
https://www.synology.com/en-global/k...oto/iOS_iPhone

Last edited by xiaofan; 03-08-2020 at 07:49 AM..
Old 03-08-2020, 06:15 PM   #27

Hi, anyone interested to share Microsoft 365 family account. Each user come with 1TB cloud storage and free use of Microsoft office app which can be installed up to 5 devices. PM me if interested. Thanks!
RomeoLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.